Fuel Economy Record - 1,626 on a single tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
on other side you have bunch of non believers criticizing simply because you just dont think its possible. do you have any proof they lied? if not then you're just spreading false statements.
I agree with you 100%, and then when someone/something turns out to be true/accurate you rarely hear an apology......dang people chill out!

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
If they are willing to lie about their speed of travel its not that big of jump to lie about the vehicle towing them down rural roads.

Sorry i don't buy a 100+% fuel economy jump from hyper-milling. I also cant believe the 2L option here would beat the old record held by the 1.6L TDI in Europe.

You can also note the record is still held by the 1.6L TDI because Guinness wont accept new records from the Taylor's after they where banned for undisclosed reasons (cough, cough cheating) at the Kia 48-contiguous State Fuel Economy WR event.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/longest-fuel-range-(standard)/
agree. waste of time. questionable results

specK

TDI
2011 TDI sportwagen
After reading your post I tried slowing down to 50mph on secondary hwy and 60 on interstate (about half and half). Got 60.1mpg on 50 mile commute which is best commute number I've seen. Still hard to believe the 82mpg unless drove 40mph as you suggested. Usually average around 46mpg per tank driving 63mph and 72mph on interstate.

Cheers

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Pulse and glide is the key to the magic equation.

Kind of tricky with the DSG though.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
this is not communist russia, *( i grew up in Ukraine so i would know)
Innocent until proven guilty.
as of right now, they have Law enforcement sealed tank, media, VW on their side saying this was very legit *(and history of 89 world records)

on other side you have bunch of non believers criticizing simply because you just dont think its possible. do you have any proof they lied? if not then you're just spreading false statements.
I never called them liars or cheats, I said if the results turn out to be a result of those actions, then the credibility of the Passat diesel is what is hurt.

Question is why are you so gullible to believe it and not seriously question the details that are not being provided? For it to be scientific, it has to be reproducible and WELL documented. I see none of that.

Please don't disrespect US born citizens with comments and lectures about our Constitution, Government or legal system.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
no lectures here..and not disrespecting anyone, actually doing exact opposite by stating what a great and fair justice system we have.

call me gullible, but this is how i see it:

1.Couple known for doing exactly that: setting records *(89 world records as of some sort it says they have) around efficient driving
2. VW, and 2 different state police man confirmed sealed tank.
3. VW drained and then filled tank to have exact count of galons
4 to be scientific it has to be reproducible? really? i thought they were setting a World Record and not certifying another vehicle at EPA office
Records are just that: something that not everyone else can accomplish

thats why i believe this to be true.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I never called them liars or cheats, I said if the results turn out to be a result of those actions, then the credibility of the Passat diesel is what is hurt.

Question is why are you so gullible to believe it and not seriously question the details that are not being provided? For it to be scientific, it has to be reproducible and WELL documented. I see none of that.

Please don't disrespect US born citizens with comments and lectures about our Constitution, Government or legal system.
It won't hurt the Passat if all was not as claimed. Look at things like the Green Grand Prix. The diesels (mostly VW) win practically everything. They easily beat the Hybrids.

It is all documented.

http://www.greengrandprix.com/

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I never called them liars or cheats,...
That's what at least 3 of us understood you to do. Maybe you should be a bit more careful.

...For it to be scientific, it has to be reproducible and WELL documented. I see none of that...
Who are you to say its not reproducible?

...Please don't disrespect US born citizens with comments and lectures about our Constitution, Government or legal system.
thin skin much? :rolleyes:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what at least 3 of us understood you to do. Maybe you should be a bit more careful.
Who are you to say its not reproducible?
thin skin much? :rolleyes:
Misreading my comments is not my fault.

I am not thin skinned at all. Many new to the US immigrants start quoting textbook comments about something they really have not experienced for a length of time.

Kind of like the engineering student freshly graduated who thinks they know better than the guys with years of real experience. :)

Besides this "innocent until proven guilty" comment wasn't even relevant to the discussion.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
no lectures here..and not disrespecting anyone, actually doing exact opposite by stating what a great and fair justice system we have.

call me gullible, but this is how i see it:

1.Couple known for doing exactly that: setting records *(89 world records as of some sort it says they have) around efficient driving
2. VW, and 2 different state police man confirmed sealed tank.
3. VW drained and then filled tank to have exact count of galons
4 to be scientific it has to be reproducible? really? i thought they were setting a World Record and not certifying another vehicle at EPA office
Records are just that: something that not everyone else can accomplish

thats why i believe this to be true.
The largest and most glaring issue is that they do NOT explain HOW they did it, just they claim they did. If you truly did it, then share the information. If you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide. Simple math shows that they did some ridiculous slow speed and that is enough for me to question the relevance of this achievement.

For this to be relevant to any of us, it needs to be something we can use and apply, otherwise it is just a circus event of someone trying to get their 5 minutes of fame.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
TomB: Did you see MyAvocation's edit at post #8? What more do you want to see, except maybe a video of the entire "event"?

Of course, it WAS a "circus event". All of these stunts are. There's very little new useful information that would relate to everyday driving.

I, too, would like to see them, or someone else, duplicate the event...and I don't mean a return trip. I'd like to see them do the exact same trip. (Of course, ambient temps and climate conditions would be different). They should be able to come pretty close to the original numbers, shouldn't they?

Last edited:

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
The largest and most glaring issue is that they do NOT explain HOW they did it.
And they won't because they operate a school that teaches fuel efficient driving. Any one can sign up for classes. Why give away their secrets for free?

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
This comment is really out of line and had little to do with the comment that prompted it. I suggest we focus on TDIs and take the rest somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.