Fuel Economy Record - 1,626 on a single tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
hey guys, i know its hard to believe, and all of us would have loved to have followed them to witness this , because seems that thats the only way some of you will believe anything was achieved higher than whatever you're getting.
but i just did 1 minute of looking around and it also says that this couple hold some 89 different WORLD records for efficient related driving. ..... did they cheat on every one of those??? cmmn.

as someone stated better TDI than a Hybrid ,, and just be happy for this record

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
hey guys, i know its hard to believe, and all of us would have loved to have followed them to witness this , because seems that thats the only way some of you will believe anything was achieved higher than whatever you're getting.
This is just plain silly. Most note that they would not drive like one has to, to achieve the absolute best mileage. They fully acknowledge that it wouldn't be tough to beat what they get.

I wouldn't be surprised at 80 plus in a controlled setting. Not in a stop and go setting with a brand new car with a passenger and luggage though.

Kingcodez

Veteran Member
TDI
00-Beetle
I can see how it is possible. "Sunday Driving" it on the back roads with all the hills here I get 100 MPG consistently according to my scan gauge (at 40-45 MPH). With my car at least, I manage to get 50MPG railing it on the interstate 60-80MPH, but that is usually because of the huge draft tunnel that is present.

I can't imagine having the balls to drive like such a jackass through normal roads for 1600 miles though. I wonder how many people rage'd out because of them.

New Guiness record: Most number of middle fingers received on one tank of fuel.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'd love to find a track and do a test to see what mine could do in controlled conditions.

I'm also willing to bet a new 2012 Passat TDI won't get anywhere near that under such conditions.

Anyone want to take that bet? The conditions couldn't get more constant, which should yield better mileage, and this would be proof positive as to whether this is verifiable or not.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
USA Today article said:
They tried to drive so as to avoid idling, but they say there's no benefit in stopping the engine at a long light to avoid idling, then restarting it -- in fact it uses more fuel to do that, they say. And that calls into question the auto stop-start features on cars nowadays.
Huh? How is this so?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I'd love to find a track and do a test to see what mine could do in controlled conditions.

I'm also willing to bet a new 2012 Passat TDI won't get anywhere near that under such conditions.

Anyone want to take that bet? The conditions couldn't get more constant, which should yield better mileage, and this would be proof positive as to whether this is verifiable or not.
It shouldn't be that difficult. You wouldn't even need to run the car dry. Test track and drive 48 mph (which they say is the most efficient) for a couple hundred miles. See what you get. In that setting it should be over 84 mpg if it's possible.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
This is just plain silly. Most note that they would not drive like one has to, to achieve the absolute best mileage. They fully acknowledge that it wouldn't be tough to beat what they get.

I wouldn't be surprised at 80 plus in a controlled setting. Not in a stop and go setting with a brand new car with a passenger and luggage though.
i was addressing that towards people who keep calling this record fake and do not believe it.
i agree with you, 99.9% of us would not drive like that, neither would i.
800 mile tank *(57 MPG) is my goal and i'd be very happy with that

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Huh? How is this so?
This applies to some gas engines, but I think it was years ago (carbed ones). Depending on how long the wait is, less fuel was used idling than used starting up.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This applies to some gas engines, but I think it was years ago (carbed ones). Depending on how long the wait is, less fuel was used idling than used starting up.
I can't believe this is true in any modern fuel injected engine (are there any carburated street vehicles in production anymore?)

Kind of an odd statement for them to make, dontcha think?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I can't believe this is true in any modern fuel injected engine (are there any carburated street vehicles in production anymore?)

Kind of an odd statement for them to make, dontcha think?
Ya, makes my "dingdong" detector light go off. The Europeans have auto-shutoff built into many new cars, it uses less fuel or else it would not be done. :p

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
i was addressing that towards people who keep calling this record fake and do not believe it.
i agree with you, 99.9% of us would not drive like that, neither would i.
800 mile tank *(57 MPG) is my goal and i'd be very happy with that
That would be me.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I just got off the phone with GWR and they indicated that the aforementioned couple has indeed had past issues with GWR including but not limited to problems with advertising standards and breach of contract. No specific mention of cheating, but it was mentioned that GWR no longer accepts entries from the Taylors, however their past records will be upheld.

Take that for what it's worth.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for making the call and letting us know, VeeDub.
I think their photos and documentation are pretty compelling evidence for their feat. I guess they could have been tricky and added fuel through the tank pickup as someone else suggested, but am willing to believe what they have presented.

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
Thanks for making the call and letting us know, VeeDub.
I think their photos and documentation are pretty compelling evidence for their feat. I guess they could have been tricky and added fuel through the tank pickup as someone else suggested, but am willing to believe what they have presented.
VW helped sponsor the event and provided the car. I doubt any fuel tinkering was done. Interesting angle about the Taylor's though. It has to hurt their marketability.

Friar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5spd
Still, it would be nice if this were typical milage ratings...
If we weren't so obsessed with speed and the time=money adage
oh well...

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Still, it would be nice if this were typical milage ratings...
If we weren't so obsessed with speed and the time=money adage
oh well...
Or if VW offered some of the cars they offer elsewhere, here.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nobody said they lied or cheated. I wonder if more info will come out down the road about this challenge or precious ones.

Regardless of whether they did it legitimately or not, the idea is inspiring and the news is good for diesels. I'm tempted to do a mini version of a challenge like this to satisfy my own curiosity about the car. Personal beats and all that jazz. :)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Credibility is everything. If they lied or cheated the reputation of the TDI's MPG achievement is tarnished...
Where is the proof (or even substantiated accusation) of them "lying or cheating"? :confused:

What do you make of their documentation and the fact that VW sponsored the attempt? Don't you think VW would be pretty hesitant to deal with "liars and cheaters"?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If I were a betting man, I'd say they got in trouble with GWR for some sort of contractual advertising issue unrelated to the actual results of the record attempt.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Credibility is everything. If they lied or cheated the reputation of the TDI's MPG achievement is tarnished.

Sorry, but I don't just jump on the bandwagon without being sure and researching the details.
this is not communist russia, *( i grew up in Ukraine so i would know)
Innocent until proven guilty.
as of right now, they have Law enforcement sealed tank, media, VW on their side saying this was very legit *(and history of 89 world records)

on other side you have bunch of non believers criticizing simply because you just dont think its possible. do you have any proof they lied? if not then you're just spreading false statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.