2012 Jetta wagon project - airbags deployed

Jaxon

Hey all,

I'm looking at picking up a 12 Jetta TDI wagon that has been hit on the passenger side, causing the side airbags to deploy. I've fixed many wrecks but am only familiar with airbags in the GM world. Are they straightforward like the GM where I have to replace the deployed bags (obviously) along with the sensors that would have caused the deployment, then have the system reprogramed at the dealer? Would be buying another car to have all the used parts. These cars are getting so hard to find that I'm thinking I might scoop this one up. Thanks!

Jaxon

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Depends on the airbag module. Some newer modules will be fine with just fault codes cleared. Older ones will need replacement (expensive option) or software reflash (cheaper option but this is not what dealers can do).

Also, it's not just the airbags what you might need to replace. This might involve crash sensors (as you mentioned) and seatbelt pre-tensioners. Check the belts to find out if they deployed or not.

Jaxon

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on buying a complete parts car to repair it, that's usually the cheapest way to do it. I just want to make sure that if I find a 2012 car with bags that haven't deployed, that I can transfer the parts in and have them reprogrammed. That they're not locked to a particular vin from the old car.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
VAG parts aren't locked to a particular VIN so you're good there.

Have you checked the frame is still straight?

Jaxon

I haven't even got to see the car up close yet. With SGI here in Sask we have to bid on it based on a few pictures and a damage appraisal, then the winning bidder can inspect before buying. Kind of the ****s sometimes, but it's the way it is. With how hard loaded wagons are getting to find now, I think I'll take my chance and bid - if I don't get it, no big deal.

Jaxon

Well, I ended up buying it... Car actually looks pretty good.

There seems to be a real lack of info (or so that I can find) regarding these cars compared to Jetta's. They were selling this one as a Jetta, but it's actually labelled a Golf. Are they the same as my MK4 where everything interchanges from a Golf to a Jetta, such as the doors, airbags, seats, etc or am I looking specifically for a Golf parts car?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Some mixed info here, likely due to insurance not having a clue (LOL @SGI *shakes head).

-- If you can post the VIN I bet we can decode it for you.
-- Is the car a domestic model, or US import?

Either way, if it's a 2012 Sportwagen, the body parts from mk6 will swap over (some things like tail lights are different between sedan & wagen & hatch models, so be aware) and many (I think almost 90%) of the mk5 Jetta mechanicals will swap over (except things like the inner door assemblies and side mirrors), if my memory serves me well.

Jaxon

Here is the vin 3VWPL7AJ4CM639924

It's a 2012 Golf Wagon TDI highline. I need to buy a whole car for parts as it was hit hard on the passenger door, causing the side bags to deploy. I am trying to figure out if I need a Golf parts car of if everything but the fender on a Jetta would be the same. Excited to get it on the road, will be a big step up from my 360K 2004!

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
My understanding is that the sportwagen is very close to a Mk V Golf/Jetta chassis but has mostly Golf Mk VI electronics. The front fenders are/ may be sportwagen specific. The door should be MK V if I understand correctly.