VE pump timing mods

TDI
non
i was wondering to increase the range of timing on the VE pump to give it more timing,judging by the amount of movement of the timing mechanism there is only about 10 degress (or 20 crank degree),my question is would the plunger hydraulic lock if the plunger starts to inject too early?can u actually mod the plunger to avoid this, has anyone done this before?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you don't actually need more timing range
you can adjust mechanical timing to start at 8-10 btdc
engine isn't strong enough to take 30 deg with any amount of fuel

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Spose I could answer more clearly

Pretty common to use the EDC VP-37 timing plunger cap from TDIs on other VE pumps to get more travel, sometimes you need to file out the port for the plunger cage pin for clearance.

Peak cylinder pressure is nothing compared to peak injection pressure, there is no possibility of causing damage to injection pump from over advanced timing.
You will sieze them left and right by using too small of nozzles for your plunger size/lift and also pump RPM plays a huge part in it as injection duration obviously drops at higher RPM

TDI
non
reason for asking was because a fuel pump shop here managed to strip the tread that hold the plunger head assembly to the fuel pump aluminium body,its one of those modded pumps runing 12mm plunger.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
This is just them being ham fisted while tightening the bolts.
I'm not completely certain, but they might have heli-coils in them from the factory. If not, then they are a good fix.