Somebody PLEASE do a direct PWM turbo controller already!!!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
i've sent them all over the world and no-one ever came back with a working controller/solution

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Maybe this has been overread:

Use "old" style PWM Hella actuator from first SREA turbos (Like found in C30 AMG Diesel but also in other newer cars)

These can be made to work with keeping vacuum N75 solenoid in place and "stealing" signal to feed e-actuator.

Needs remapping though but I know it works ;-)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Maybe this has been overread:

Use "old" style PWM Hella actuator from first SREA turbos (Like found in C30 AMG Diesel but also in other newer cars)

These can be made to work with keeping vacuum N75 solenoid in place and "stealing" signal to feed e-actuator.

Needs remapping though but I know it works ;-)

hehe

Tonio

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
This is really cool.
I've been trying really hard to get something like this going for my Honda. I've adapted the Holset turbocharger into the vehicle.
It's too bad the guy that was helping me modify the controller went off to do something else.
Here are a few pics:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Thats the he351, uses can as input.. there are some workign controllers out there, IIRC fleece or so is the company

dali77

TDI
2000 Volvo V70 Phase I 2,5D (AEL engine)
Remote mounting and cable actuation opens a lot of doors for actuator options. Heck, I'd like to have that on my vacuum operated actuator for easier VNT adjustments :)

There are millions of gasser cruise control actuators that could be used. A large number of industrial controls with position feedback options are available.

The spring on the actuators is pretty stiff so you'd probably need a guided cable assembly, one that would be relatively low friction and take the heat. A shifter cable would be a great example - guided for push/pull, takes a lot of force, smooth/low friction - I'm not sure if it would take the heat or not?
Might be a stupid idea, but can't we just borrow a solution from two wheel motors.
Nowadays nearly each sports bike has a flap in its exhaust that is always operated remotely through two cables, one for opening on for closing the flap, this two-cable design does not require using a special cable.
The flap looks like this:

And its counterpart like this:

I don't mean using the motorbike type actuator (even if e.g. BMW bikes run on CAN), but just the two cable design. Maybe the whole cable assembly, that is designed to resist sustained heat. There are loads of these parts for sale, as most of the aftermarket performance exhaust systems don't use them.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The double cable actuation might be another idea, though it might be trickier to implement around the VNT lever on the turbo and at the actuator.

The Plex controller looks very nice from the .pdf - how much is it?

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
The Plex controller looks very nice from the .pdf - how much is it?
Got this from the vendor:

The pricing for the Plex PBC-PRO:

RETAIL price 1 unit 589euro
includes: controller, map sensor, solenoid valve, wiring

UPGRADE EGT 30euro
includes connection cable for egt sensor, software upgrade to display EGT, DOES NOT INCLUDE SENSOR , you can use any Ktype thermocouple

UPGRADE EGT + SENSOR 100euro
includes connection cable for egt sensor, inconell high precision egt sensor, software upgrade to display EGT

UPGRADE OBD 50euro
includes can bus cable, software to display and use OBD CAN BUS data for ISO15765 compatible cars

The above prices exclude VAT tax and shipping.

claudiumxg

TDI
octavia 105 PD bkc
vgt upgrade - 130 eur
egt sensor 90 eur,
:D
ps. it can read lots of things through obd to use for boost map(corections/ main table)... easy to conect to oem ecu and already has controll for vag/porsche VGT, that is why i shared this product here :)
you should see the engine analyser they do :))) over 10000usd but very good tool for a tuner shop

Last edited:

Raychem

TDI
Golf
For the Holset VGT turbo, a company by the name of Fleece Performance already has one. It may be a less expensive option, I am not sure. I have seen a few 12v cummins running the vgt and fleece controller.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
To revive an old thread:

I'm not done with my analysis of the various N75 PWM signals yet, but the ECU in my B4 (only know it as a FA ECU, but it's an EDC15V, right?) is capable of alternative PWM frequencies. Our stock B4 produces a 15.5 Hz signal and mine with a AFN tune produces a 300 Hz PWM signal. I've not check out a stock MK IV, but our '02 that was tuned by Leonard (Wild Rose) back in the day produced a clean 300 Hz PWM signal.

This leads me to believe it's reasonable to assume that the PWM frequency is capable of being adjusted in a tune on the newer TDIs. Anyone want to though a tune and see where this is stored?

So, if I've read everything right, all that is needed is a non-CAN controller and a proper wiring harness, no?

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
I have been working on one myself, matched to work with a BV50 that was sent to me by algirdas. its a dynamic input (figures out PWM Duty & Freq) spits out a fixed Freq and Variable Duty for the BV50...

had it hooked up to my car for a while and the BV50 actuator moving as i went in and out of boost and through the boost range. no housing so I couldn't tell if it was moving the right direction.

If i had access to a car with a CAN controlled turbo I would put on a CAN bus logger on that channel & boost pressure record those and figure it out..

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keaton, I noticed that though they are PWM, the two cars had different minimum voltages for the off portion of the duty cycle portion and the max was at least at battery level. That being said, those min voltages were 5.5-7 V I think but I have to check my notes at home.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
I used op amps to condition the signals. 1 in unity gain, 1 to output a 3.3V as a high for the microcontroller. I tapped into the N75 signal with the N75 and factor turbo in place.

let me know on those voltages, that may explain some of funniness that would pop up form time to time....

Edit*****
were those voltages measured between the inputs of the N75? or did you measure from GND to Pin? in theory one should be ground

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used op amps to condition the signals. 1 in unity gain, 1 to output a 3.3V as a high for the microcontroller. I tapped into the N75 signal with the N75 and factor turbo in place.

let me know on those voltages, that may explain some of funniness that would pop up form time to time....

Edit*****
were those voltages measured between the inputs of the N75? or did you measure from GND to Pin? in theory one should be ground
Sorry, been busy so I've not had a chance to reference them. I stuck the scope probe into the open N75 plug from the ECU. Some of the pins on the plugs didn't want to be released from their prison so for electrical consistency, I was taking readings that way only.

Edit: Ground is on the rounded side of the D-style plugs.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.0TDI 6spd manual
FYI, If anyone is trying to get this going on EDC16 I've figured out how to change PWM frequency to match the actuator.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
We swap the EDC 16 (BKD/1.9 BKC etc) Solenoid block for a normal N75 on some cars, just swap the 6 pin plug for a 2 pin so i would expect the signal to be the same? I could be wrong and it just works.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Ryan,

Are you talking about the signal being the same between N75 and electric actuator? I don't think the N75 is as sensitive to frequency because it's just an electromechanical device whereas the electric actuator as a uP inside that is looking for a very specific signal and will ignore/fault with anything else. Electric ASV works on the same principle.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I would be surprised if the PWM version of the actuator cared what the frequency is.
Pin 1 is +12v, Pin 2 is ground and Pin 4 is signal(pin 2 from N75)

The VW/Audi version is not PWM at all.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
The PWM version I have is definately frequency sensitive. I verified this with a function generator. Likewise it has a max and min duty cycle. If you are outside of the specifications it will just default the home position. I think I read a Hella document somewhere that specified a the frequency had to be within 1% of the spec.