Roof Rack Delete How To with Pics

Jim'stdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I am thinking of removing the factory rack. I read a couple of other threads on this and it seems that people were having difficulty removing the front and rear covers with out breaking the inside tabs off. I had success doing this and wanted to share with others how to do this.

Here is a parts diagram showing all the parts.

Here is the procedure for doing this.

It really helps if you have the right tool!

Position the tool right here and gently pry it up.

Here is the piece with the outside tabs unlocked.

Now here is the trick! Push this piece towards the center of the car and roll it up. The tabs on the inside will move out of their locked position and can then be lifted off.

Here is the piece completely unlocked.

Completely removed.

All 4 tabs intact.

One side off.

Now I would like to know what to do about the holes. I am thinking about covering them with some vinyl like they use at the sign shops. For those that did this could you repost what you did and where you got the material?

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
Why don't you go to the local hardware store and look in the fastener section for automotive trim plugs, black is usually available. Trim to depth and done deal... will look like factory delete.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Now I would like to know what to do about the holes. I am thinking about covering them with some vinyl like they use at the sign shops. For those that did this could you repost what you did and where you got the material?
Have you seen this post?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2385208&postcount=9

It's one possible solution to the "hole problem".

Thanks for the nice pics, I do have one of those trim tools. This might be one of my projects for springtime.

Have Fun!

Don

StoBro2

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Have you seen this post?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2385208&postcount=9
It's one possible solution to the "hole problem".
Thanks for the nice pics, I do have one of those trim tools. This might be one of my projects for springtime.
Have Fun!
Don
This is basically what I did to plug the holes in my roof. I bought spray touch-up paint from VW and finished the plugs to match the car (I used primer for plastic first.) and I used silicone rtv instead of plumber's putty. I was able to remove the rack without damaging any of the tabs, and I didn't have the tool shown above. It took an array of putty knives, a paint can lid pry bar and a lot of patience. I did this work last April.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I removed the roof rack on my last wagon (1985 Volvo 740) about 10 years ago. I couldn't figure out what to plug the holes with so I carefully taped electrical tape over the holes. My "temporary" plugs ended up working so well and was so unobtrusive that I ended up just leaving it like that! In the 10 years the tape plugs were on the car, I only replaced them once. (I also had electrical tape holding my passenger side mirror together, but at least that was black tape on black plastic!)

mmbf12

TDI
11 TDI Sportwagen
I just did mine today! I used just black gm plastic plugs with clear rtv type cilicone. It will only be this way for a short bit. Im going to take it in and have all the holes welded up and ground down, then have the roof sprayed black. the jsw is silver so should look good when done.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

PureDope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
If this was vortex there would already be a hundred GTI fanboys hating on you for this...

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
I just want to say that if you follow the instructions, it literally takes 10 minutes to remove both rails... the center plastic cover can be removed with a finger nail, feel the back side of the cover toward the rear of the car, you will feel the seam, pull with your nail, voila. And that blue pry tool shown in the pic is awesome! Makes the job simple! I personally don't like the look without the rails, mine are off for my Monday appointment to have my roof done black :)

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
Anyone know if the roof rack rails (silver) from a Passat wagen are a direct fit on a Sportwagen?

lummock

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagon
anyone from this thread have their roof rails hanging around collecting dust. I'm in the market to add some to a JSW '11 that came without.
Will pay well as factory option is pricey

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
anyone from this thread have their roof rails hanging around collecting dust. I'm in the market to add some to a JSW '11 that came without.

Came from the factory w/o racks? Weird! Can't say as I have ever seen that option direct from the factory.

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
That would mean there is a VW part number for the roof plugs OR there are no holes in the roof. Interested in which it is!:eek:

Lavabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2003, Westfalia 73 Tdi
Can i use the bolt #5 and #6 on my Jetta wagon mk4 (2003) ?

Its wayyy faster then removing the headliner to get out bolt

Can someone tell me the #5 and # 6 part number and description please