Fuel filter Canister

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
Hey there,
I was doing my fuel filter tonight, and as I tried to pull out the fuel filter, the whole inner part of the canister assembly came up with the fuel filter. This is a 2006 Jetta TDI. I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen before. I 'm wondering if that whole canister is the right replacement, or is there another path? Also, is that a strictly OEM part.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Get rid of that 26 micron filter and upgrade to one you change less often and is 2 micron.

1. Pull filter assembly
2. Take a 3/8 drill and drill out rivets holding tank to bracket
3. Apply closed cell foam to bracket
4. Buy 1R-0750 FILTER ( I personally use the newer Donaldson- I forget the part number - but I got them for around $9.00 each)
5. Buy a Napa 4770 / WIX 24770 Filter Head
6. Buy fittings
7. Use a large cable tie to attach filter assembly to bracket
8. Plumb hoses

You will get a ton of life and better filtering with this approach. I got tired of spending big dollars high micron filter that I had to change every 10K. There is also a nictane head you can use, but I used this assembly on a few of my TDIs with great results. In the threads I have read, these are rated for something like 70K miles (that was the math - by the volume of fuel utilized - ball parked). I have pressure gauges my filter heads (liquid filled)I have run the filters for around 1 or 2 years and change them when I do a major PM cycle on the car.

Filters can be acquired any and everywhere.. very common size.

There is two filter options that came in the stock BRMs. The older one, allows the tank to be removed from the bracket that mounts to the motor mount/ frame rail. Either one will work.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would go for this vs a used e-bay one.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
meerschm is spot on if you are sticking with the stock one. Under a hundred plus shipping. Not worth buying a used one at that price point difference.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Get rid of that 26 micron filter and upgrade to one you change less often and is 2 micron.

1. Pull filter assembly
2. Take a 3/8 drill and drill out rivets holding tank to bracket
3. Apply closed cell foam to bracket
4. Buy 1R-0750 FILTER ( I personally use the newer Donaldson- I forget the part number - but I got them for around $9.00 each)
5. Buy a Napa 4770 / WIX 24770 Filter Head
6. Buy fittings
7. Use a large cable tie to attach filter assembly to bracket
8. Plumb hoses

You will get a ton of life and better filtering with this approach. I got tired of spending big dollars high micron filter that I had to change every 10K. There is also a nictane head you can use, but I used this assembly on a few of my TDIs with great results. In the threads I have read, these are rated for something like 70K miles (that was the math - by the volume of fuel utilized - ball parked). I have pressure gauges my filter heads (liquid filled)I have run the filters for around 1 or 2 years and change them when I do a major PM cycle on the car.

Filters can be acquired any and everywhere.. very common size.

There is two filter options that came in the stock BRMs. The older one, allows the tank to be removed from the bracket that mounts to the motor mount/ frame rail. Either one will work.
K, would you post a picture of your filter conversion ?

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
So a couple of things. I think they sent me the other filter/canister setup as it doesn't look like the same filter. Which sucks because I have 3 filters sitting around for the old setup. The image when I ordered it looked like it had the little "olympic gasket looking thing, so I thought I was getting the right one. My order says 1KO-127-400-K, but as I look at the bottom of the filter, it says 1KO-127-177-B. So I'm guessing I will need to send this back. Is this filter a better filter than the one I have? Second question has to do with getting the metal clamps that hold down the hoses on top. Is there a trick to getting that off. I was trying to use a plier, but the tabs are so small. I was using a needle nose, and just rip it off, but that will destroy the clamps I trying to get those hoses off of the port without damaging the hoses.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
So one last question. The guy at the VW parts center in the link above is saying that what i received is the only partnumber for the canister that I want to replace. It almost sounds like I would have to switch if I want to get a new canister, and for go the old filters. He was telling me that he can sell the old filters, but that VW doesn't sell the other style canisters.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
So one last question. The guy at the VW parts center in the link above is saying that what i received is the only partnumber for the canister that I want to replace. It almost sounds like I would have to switch if I want to get a new canister, and for go the old filters. He was telling me that he can sell the old filters, but that VW doesn't sell the other style canisters.
At this point I wonder: Isn't easier and cheaper for you to install the set-up recommended by kbaisley?

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
You may be right. I was worried about doing modifications to the system, as I don't want to introduce another problem Hey, can someone help with the removal of those compression clamps. I have tried using channel locks, but it has been very difficult to latch the small tabs on the end of the clamp. Any recommended item that autozone/harbourfreight, or someone would carry that would make this easier?

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
I was able to get the clamp off with a plier that home depot sold that was able to pinch the clamps. It looks like the hoses are frozen on the port. Can I spray PBblaster/WD40 on those hoses. I don't think that will hurt the hose, or should affect the fuel delivery if I just wipe it down after I get it off.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
So I was able to get the new filter setup in there after much effort. I was patting myself on the back as it starts up. It ran for about 30 seconds, and then it sputtered and cut off. I tried a couple of more times, and it would not startup. When I tried the last 2 times, I kind of hear the clicking of the fuel pump, and then a high pitched sound. Is there some sort of priming to get the air out of the system? Any thoughts?

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
Read this from a 2009 Jetta. "
10MM long socket and an extension is necessary.
Try pulling the glow plugs and crank in a few 15 second increments. That will spin the engine faster and much less load on the starter and battery.
If and when you see fuel come from the glow plug holes in a mist then put the GPs back in see what happens."

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
So I'm running my VCDS to see if the pump can be primed. I went into Engine/Basic Settings", and from a youtube, it looks like I should be able to go to group35 to run the pump test. I see it showing pump on, and it run for a while. I ran this test with the key on, and the engine off. I only ran it for about 30 seconds, and I did this 4 times. It is still not cranking over. On another note, I'm wondering if I should open up a new thread to talk about priming pump. I see a lot of discussions on different approaches for that. I'm hoping that the VCDS will save me from having to do the taking off glowplugs, or using some sort of vacuum to get the air out. I"m still under the assumption that this is an "air" in the line thing.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
your 2006 is different than the 2010 and later models.

make sure you put the hoses back where they belong.

(to/from/.....)

and don't be afraid to run the pump test a couple more times.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
The way the hose's line up, they seemed to line up to the same ports on the new canister top. Assuming that the different filter canisters are setup with the same port setup, then the cables went in the same way.