Found this in my fuel filter canister

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf

Diesel fuel in it had just a tiny bit of brown stuff at the bottom but as you ca see the sides had all these rust spots. Some felt like gouges in the metal. But the rust wasn't flaking or anything. I got the car at 38k miles and saw this at 40k when I changed the filter and didn't think much of it but now at 60k I just wanted to see everyone's opinion. Rust doesn't seem like it spread anymore than it did since the last time I saw it at 40k.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
well, good news is its on the dirty side of the filter, bad news is it means you had water and oxygen in your canister. how old is the car?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Look at the boost pump inside the fuel tank. There are RODS (they look like all-thread) that may be rusting.... there is a thread about it somewhere..

Bill

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
the amount of time a tank of fuel is in the car and the avg amount of fuel in the tank can lead to condensation and oxygenation (via sloshing) of the fuel. if you are a "gimme a pack of marlboro reds, 3 scratchers and put the rest of this $20 on pump four" kinda person you likely drive around with a tank that is mostly full of moisture laden air.

When the temperature fluctuates air is drawn in and expelled from the tank, emptier the tank the more chance for moisture to get in the fuel. Also the aforementioned rods on the in tank lift pump only rust when in the air, not when drowned in fuel. moral of the story, get fuel once every week or so even if you only need a few gallons to top up. Chances are your canister got rusty during a period of very intermittent use, or you simply got a lousy tank of fuel.