DIY: 2" Lift Kit for Under $40 - EASY!

wafflenator

TDI
06 PD Golf
The square tubing pieces and the huge pipe coupler. Just like the original post on this thread. The threaded pieces are for the front.
What size is that pipe coupler and reducer? It looks different than the first post and what I picked up.

golfclub

TDI
2000 TDI Golf
Front spacers

Johnnysuede;

Are the threaded cylinders made to screw onto
the top of the strut rods? And then a bolt to hold the
bearing and other parts together? Can you explain the
strut setup in more detail please.

Thanks....Peter

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
The Threaded cylinder holds the spring perch down, and everything else goes on top probably with a stud and nuts like original. I wish i had done that when it lifted mine. It would be a lot easier to assemble with VR6 Springs. creates less spring compression and probably a smoother ride. I might be changing mine this winter (as soon as i find the right tap size).

clinton1396

TDI
2002 tdi wagon
Where is everyone getting the 4 to 2 hex bushing from? Checked all the local hardware stores, nothing that big. Online I have found them but not for no where near 14 dollars like the op said

cowboybootlegger

TDI
01 Golf TDi 5 Speed
Threaded front spacer dims?

Johnnysuede,
Is there any way to get the dimensions of the threaded spacers for the front? I would love to make a set of these, as I prefer this method of lifting the front by far! Even rough estimates would be helpful. Thanks!

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The Metalnerd kit says not for cars with ESP (Electronic Stability Program)...

What happens if you lift an ESP equipped car?

I wish I could do this, but I have ESP...

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I have read about at least one with ESP that was lifted. If I remember right he was saying that leaning into turns hard was causing the ESP to react when it normally did not. Of course this is coming second hand as I do not have any personal experience.

Rooster

TDI
2002 GLS
Sorry if I missed it reading through, but with a 2" lift setup what shocks and struts were used? Mine are most likely factory and could be due for an upgrade anyway. I am going to start gathering parts as soon as I know what is the best of what everyone has tried.

Jim Henning

TDI
1997 and 1999.5 Jettas with 1.9L TDI engines
Home made front coil spring lifters

Please send me some additional photos of the front strut modification that you made . I'm not understanding exactly what you're doing in the single photo. thank you. Jim:eek:)

BigKevinW

TDI
2001 Beetle
Just wanted to give a free bump to an old, but great, post.
I did exactly what the OP showed on the first post to my TDI Beetle this past weekend. The original shocks had 250k miles and were very obviously worn out. For anyone that still hasn't done this and plans, I stress that the passenger side axle will hit bottom before the strut is ready to come out; you have to play around with it little to get it out. Also, if you use a 2" pipe and 2" to 4" bushing for the rear, the pipe has to be ground down more that you think it should; just keep grinding.

I could not be happier:D, except for the cuts and bruises that come along with it:mad:.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Alright. Seriously need help finding the parts.

So, the front is simply 1" round pipe nipple that is 2" in length?
It's well explained where it fits, so I guess I have all the parts for the front.

But the rear.
So the box tubing, this is identicle to the square tubing sold at HD or L?
Easy; cut to size and drill, so that finishes my shock, once I get the 4 bolts for each side.

But the ' 4"x2" black hex bushing ' is giving me trouble locating.
Went to a grainger, they want over $40 each!!!!! Is there some where y'all suggest looking?
Also, is there another name for this item? I'm having trouble on google too.

So, after all I've stated the last piece is simply the 2" diamete threaded pipe for the inside of the hex bushing to hold the spring in place . Does this sound like I am on the right track after I locate the hex bushing?

TDI_bubble

Veteran Member
TDI
98 tdi bubble
I would suggest using schedule 80 pipe if it will fit, over the 40. Also don't get a 'nipple' if you can get a non threaded length. Very cheap to get, just wouldn't want the ends to start getting hammered over from the weight.
As for cheap pipe parts I would say call a few plumbing supply shops, grainger is pretty expensive unless you have a wholesale account.

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
The Metalnerd kit says not for cars with ESP (Electronic Stability Program)...

What happens if you lift an ESP equipped car?

I wish I could do this, but I have ESP...

I got a car equipped with esp... It does work same way, but little more sensitive the used to be without a lift.
If I know I will be exitin right turn, I just simply hit a button and turn esp off... But city driving or on the freeway it does nothing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grant407

TDI
2000 Golf, 2004 Jetta
My lift.
Made pieces

Before

After

Johnny, do you happen to remember the exact size of those couplers? Are they a 2" coupler with a reducer in them or are they 3" couplers? Hoping to do this on the weekend but having trouble finding the 4x2 hex bushings locally..
Thanks.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I just added some big snow tires to my loaner ( I am going to use them on my race car on Feb 24 for a winter classic at LRP )
I did some digging on Ebay and found some spacers for a Jeep 2.5 lift I will get the next week and see if they will work I will test them on the 2004 Jetta loaner will let you know if they work.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Be prepared to replace axles with your lift, especially if you have some miles on them

CNGVW put on a metalnerd kit for me and its been great, but the different ride angle has produced some axle vibration as they are now out of their 100k wear pattern.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
runonbeer put a metalnerd 2" lift on for me along with a full suspension refit with Bilsteins and springs with no noticeable difference for me. The Beetle rides very smooth especially at speed. Installed about 4k miles ago. 160k or so on it now. metalnerd assured me that what you speak of wasn't an issue if properly done, and hasn't been for me anyway.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
runonbeer put a metalnerd 2" lift on for me along with a full suspension refit with Bilsteins and springs with no noticeable difference for me. The Beetle rides very smooth especially at speed. Installed about 4k miles ago. 160k or so on it now. metalnerd assured me that what you speak of wasn't an issue if properly done, and hasn't been for me anyway.
If he said that then hes wrong. It may not always be an issue, and it may not be common on the TDI, but it certainly CAN be an issue once you dramatically increase the height. Mine has a new suspension also, and it was properly installed.

Better to have it in the back of ones mind just in case. Mine is a 6 speed, so maybe its less likely on a 5 speed or auto if thats what you have. Maybe the axles are shorter and have a more severe angle with the lift

I have replaced the suspension on a number of sagging older vehicles with CV joints only to have axle vibration issues or pending axle failure issues because of the new ride height and angle. If is definitely a problem that can occur if the car has enough mileage or age.

On my jetta you can feel the vibration disappear if the suspension flexes on the highway at speed on just the right kind of mounded surface, like over a bridge. As it compresses it vanishes.

Last edited:

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
hello dropnosky
You are right on the 6 speed it is a good 1 shorter on the axles.
How where the alignment spec after you had it done?
some thing to think on is when we lower the racecar we need to shorten one axle to keep it from binding in the turns.
I simple test on your car would be to remove the axle nuts on the ground and slide the axles in and out to see where they seat.

some thing to to check which spring kit did IDPARTS give you? if it was the higher ride height one we may be over the 2 inch lift mark?
One other thing to check is bump steer?
If he said that then hes wrong. It may not always be an issue, and it may not be common on the TDI, but it certainly CAN be an issue once you dramatically increase the height. Mine has a new suspension also, and it was properly installed.
Better to have it in the back of ones mind just in case. Mine is a 6 speed, so maybe its less likely on a 5 speed or auto if thats what you have. Maybe the axles are shorter and have a more severe angle with the lift
I have replaced the suspension on a number of sagging older vehicles with CV joints only to have axle vibration issues or pending axle failure issues because of the new ride height and angle. If is definitely a problem that can occur if the car has enough mileage or age.
On my jetta you can feel the vibration disappear if the suspension flexes on the highway at speed on just the right kind of mounded surface, like over a bridge. As it compresses it vanishes.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
metalnerds instructions for mine was to keep everything else stock (springs and shocks/struts). Afterwards I had an alignment done at the dealer and it was almost perfect. At some point it does become an issue I am sure, if you raise it too much. Hasn't been for me though. I got my "deposit" back from him too once I showed I had complied with his "rules". Maybe yours is different somehow.