newbie searching for tdi

dbern

TDI
looking
So i am trying to find a diesel for a conversion car. I am looking for a car under about 6500. Golf, Jetta Whatever!! I have a few sources and friends that are now running straight veggie. I wish to do the same. So if you have a car for sale please let me know. I am located in WV but willing to travel for the right car.
Thanks

D

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
Check www.craigslist.org for a car in your area. Pre-TDI (94 and older) are better canidates to run WVO.

There are a few late 80's early 90's VWs in VT craigslist already conerted for under $2k.

Last edited:

dbern

TDI
looking
thanks,

I have checked there. Not alot of luck yet. Why do you say that about the older the better. I have heard both casses but Im interested in your thought process.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
when running experimental fuels, big orifices and low injector pressures are your friends ;)

dbern

TDI
looking
dieseldorf said:
when running experimental fuels, big orifices and low injector pressures are your friends ;)
Have you run any persnoally? I think you are prob. right just wondering. I have known of many that have logged over 10k miles on veggie with tdi,s

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dbern said:
Have you run any persnoally?
I have not. I like my diesel cars and would never consider it unless I came across an old 1978 Rabbit or the like.

You clearly need to do additional research and gain some understanding about the costs of replacing fuel injection pumps and other delicate equipment. Spend some time over at the MBz forums, too...you'll find dozens of sad posts. I am not suggesting that you don't try it...just find the right car to experiment with, not something newer.

dbern

TDI
looking
dieseldorf said:
I have not. I like my diesel cars and would never consider it unless I came across an old 1978 Rabbit or the like.

You clearly need to do additional research and gain some understanding about the costs of replacing fuel injection pumps and other delicate equipment. Spend some time over at the MBz forums, too...you'll find dozens of sad posts. I am not suggesting that you don't try it...just find the right car to experiment with, not something newer.
Ok?

So, I have done quite a bit of reasearch on the subject and have many very good references of folks that I am friends with. I have also done reasearch on the different kinds of kits from the variety of companies that are making them. I fully understand the costs. With that said I was just wondering what folks here could offer me. Again Im just looking for some friendly advice. Or for sombody with a car they would like to part with. On my first day here I already feel kinda insulted. huh, interesting.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Don't feel insulted, Dorf is your friend.

He just wants to be sure you know what your getting into.

Browse around and post in the fuels and lubricants section for additional info.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dbern said:
On my first day here I already feel kinda insulted. huh, interesting.

Ohh, don't be overly-sensitive...nobody else here is. :)

Plenty of folks seem to have luck with the craig's list routine. People selling cars here typically seek 125% of fair market value. If you were looking for a late model, well-cared for TDi, this would be a fine resource as you'd likely get a properly maintained car. Problem with the older cars is rust...so there isn't much selection around and they're beasts from a different era, literally ;) WTS, it's not unusual to find these cars in the $500 - $1000 range.

Keep your eyes opened. There are a LOT of cars for sale right at this moment...more than I've ever seen in previous years.

Take care.

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
plenty of mb diesels for your asking price. the 240d in the driveway can he bad for lots less if you are not concerned with asthetics. it already has a greasecar system in it. son does not want to invest the 35 bucks in a new filter so it sits.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
As someone who completed a WVO/SVO conversion and engine rebuild on an older ('81) VW, I'll put in my $0.02.

I enjoyed the process - I used the Gresecar conversion kit. I was originally planning on building the kit myself, and you easily could, but I also appreciated using a "tested" system with some technical support. Their system is in no way perfect, but with some additional accesories, like an in-line heater, you can run WVO/SVO very succesfully. I completed mine out of interest and a frustration over oil companies.

In the end, I loved my VW caddy, but I wanted something more comfortable that had airbags, so I sold it and purachased a '99.5 to complete another Gresecar conversion. I would not hesitate to do it, but then again, if you surf the web you will find sad stories as already mentioned.

I ended up doing a lot of looking to get a good price, but it also needed some maintanance (e.g., new shocks, struts, TB, intake cleaning, tires, etc.). It is a well-cared for vehicle, and it's very clean inside and out (I've had it on the lift a few times), but you are on the fringe of getting a "decent" late model TDI for $6500. I definitely have more than that invested in mine.

In the end, I probably won't do the conversion; most likely, now that it's running really well, I'll run BD.

I'll post a few pics from my 1.6D so you can get an idea of what it might look like.

Overall, the truck ran very well, and I was extremely happy with the results.

If you're interested in completing a conversion on a later model TDI, PM me. I may sell mine for an even newer model. It's a '99.5 GL with 149k, maroon, lots of new stuff, etc. I'd be looking for a little more than what you're talking about, but I would prefer if it went to someone who would use BD or SVO/WVO.

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I've got parts of two TDI's in the barn right now. Both were veggie and both blew the turbos. The cause was veggie getting into the engine oil, coking the turbo shaft, which seized, and then one turbo shattered and exploded the #1 piston, the other turbo blew the seal and hydro-locked the #3 rod into a corkscrew.

If you want success in grease, stick with a pre-chamber head. I think the latest engine that you can rely on is the AAZ type that is a 1.9 block with a 1.6 style head. With a prechamber head, you'll keep a lot of grease out of the crank, which apparently is very bad for turbos and I might add, piston rings and wrist pins.

Here is the kind of engine you are looking for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-1...010QQitemZ200096443929QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here is a great veggie car to keep you from wasting a TDI:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volk...9QQihZ017QQcategoryZ15292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck..

hemisareslow

TDI
2000 Jetta GL
dieseldorf said:
Ohh, don't be overly-sensitive...nobody else here is. :)

Plenty of folks seem to have luck with the craig's list routine. People selling cars here typically seek 125% of fair market value. If you were looking for a late model, well-cared for TDi, this would be a fine resource as you'd likely get a properly maintained car. Problem with the older cars is rust...so there isn't much selection around and they're beasts from a different era, literally ;) WTS, it's not unusual to find these cars in the $500 - $1000 range.

Keep your eyes opened. There are a LOT of cars for sale right at this moment...more than I've ever seen in previous years.

Take care.
good advice...I just bought my 2000 jetta tdi from craigslist for 6k with 149k on it...looked on ebay for a while and then found this one on craigslist 40 min from my house...

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
hey Jack_Berry

You still selling the 240d?
PM me if you are

offalot

TDI
Caddy M-TDI
czar said:
As someone who completed a WVO/SVO conversion and engine rebuild on an older ('81) VW, I'll put in my $0.02.

I enjoyed the process - I used the Gresecar conversion kit. I was originally planning on building the kit myself, and you easily could, but I also appreciated using a "tested" system with some technical support. Their system is in no way perfect, but with some additional accesories, like an in-line heater, you can run WVO/SVO very succesfully. I completed mine out of interest and a frustration over oil companies.

In the end, I loved my VW caddy, but I wanted something more comfortable that had airbags, so I sold it and purachased a '99.5 to complete another Gresecar conversion. I would not hesitate to do it, but then again, if you surf the web you will find sad stories as already mentioned.

I ended up doing a lot of looking to get a good price, but it also needed some maintanance (e.g., new shocks, struts, TB, intake cleaning, tires, etc.). It is a well-cared for vehicle, and it's very clean inside and out (I've had it on the lift a few times), but you are on the fringe of getting a "decent" late model TDI for $6500. I definitely have more than that invested in mine.

In the end, I probably won't do the conversion; most likely, now that it's running really well, I'll run BD.

I'll post a few pics from my 1.6D so you can get an idea of what it might look like.

Overall, the truck ran very well, and I was extremely happy with the results.

If you're interested in completing a conversion on a later model TDI, PM me. I may sell mine for an even newer model. It's a '99.5 GL with 149k, maroon, lots of new stuff, etc. I'd be looking for a little more than what you're talking about, but I would prefer if it went to someone who would use BD or SVO/WVO.
Hey, nice conquest seats in that caddy.
Well theres my first post.
No but I a mfollowing this thread because it seams I am in the same situation. Am looking madly for a nice TDI golf and wanting to experement with wvo.But it is kind of a catch 22 because Im getting the TDI to be a more reliable car then my previous, yet I want to play around with this veggie oil. But I will definately do a bit of reading before taking the plunge.

muffledturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB
dieseldorf said:
Interesting, I read somewhere that CARB in California considers Biodiesel an Experimental Fuel and that you need a fueling variance permit to buy it there. Sounds like a lot of headaches.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
muffledturbo said:
Interesting, I read somewhere that CARB in California considers Biodiesel an Experimental Fuel and that you need a fueling variance permit to buy it there. Sounds like a lot of headaches.
Not true. It's easy to get biodiesel in CA. There are public pumps where I live and several coops as well. No headaches, and certainly no fueling variance permit. I used to run the stuff in my old Jetta and belonged to a few coops.