What did you do to your car today?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
yup, I need a new one too. (my third) but the crack is there till I get extra money, after all my mods. I can live with it for now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Ah, the solitary joy of comprehensive insurance in Massachusetts. $0 deductable on glass.

Shainer

TDI
Jetta Sedan 2002 Black
I replaced my blown turbo with a new KRMA Super Stealth Turbo! Cleaned entire intake track, including flushing intercooler. Replaced timing belt with a really fast hamster. Purchased all the special tools… and my own copy of Vag-Com… oh and lets not forget the POS Bently manual on DVD. So far it is the only thing I regret purchasing. Timed everything to the upper edge of the "chart". I think it is safe to say that I am almost “one” with my Jetta!

Shainer

TDI
Jetta Sedan 2002 Black
Oh! Almost forgot. I deleted that pesky EGR, and ported my intake. I think I’m ready for a chip and more fuel please!

90hpisntenough

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
Handed my car over to the mechanic, again!!!, to see if I can get my shifting issue resolved once and for all.

Recently did a vent. on the car, the parts went flying because of the spring...good thing I won't need them back.

Also got my 100k TB kit and EGR delete kit from diesel geek, got here quick! Parts look great, hopefully I'll have it done this weekend or the next

J I'd love to hear how your stage 3 does...I put a SBC stage 1 in mine from TDI parts...it works great, serious engagement.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Haven't done that in the Golf, but I will tomorrow first thing. I want to save the weight!

Today I replaced the vacuum resevoir (new ones are half covered with foil to protect them from coolant heat (I guess), adjusted the IQ from 1.8 to 3.0, advanced the timing in block 2 to 105. It was probably the IQ change, but EGTs at on a WOT pull to 110 in 4th are now down to 1550. Before they were sailing past 1650 when I'd lift to save the turbo. I'm hoping this will keep my turbo alive at Grattan this weekend. I'm still bringing a spare.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Installed new fender liners. The old ones had similar amounts of dirt etc. as Brian's behind them. Great opportunity for IBW for weight loss for racing. It amazes me how good the corrosion resistance is on these cars.

J double R

Fail Train Conductor
TDI
'00 Golf 4 door
pulled the drain plug on my transmission... and watched my differential and half my gears drain out with the fluid.

:( this is gonna suck. so much for 'just' a clutch job.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Dropped her off for new rear axel bushings (one of them had fallen out!) at 295,000km... they are also replacing siezed right rear brake caliper (left was replaced last year). Quoted $800 for the job. Wife said that if the new Jetta Sportwagon was available in TDI we coulda traded her in instead of fixing it... but alas. We wait.

New diesels, where are you?

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Great time for a 6-speed!! or a Peloquin with a 5-speed. I'm a little worried these days about the tranny too. Sorry to hear about yours. We're pretty closely matched car wise.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Replaced my 5 spd. tranny fluid which had 73K miles. Less than 1 quart came out! Filled it up with G52 (1.6 L) and guess what, NO SLIP IN ANY GEAR! Used to be that I couldn't use all the torque from RC1+ because it would slip in 3rd, 4th, and especially in 5th until past 2,5K rmps. Not so anymore! It pulls like a train with no slippage whatsoever. Thought I'd be needing a clutch right after I got RC-ed, but for $21 (new fluid) all is well in my TDI world.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
andreigbs said:
Replaced my 5 spd. tranny fluid which had 73K miles. Less than 1 quart came out! Filled it up with G52 (1.6 L) and guess what, NO SLIP IN ANY GEAR! Used to be that I couldn't use all the torque from RC1+ because it would slip in 3rd, 4th, and especially in 5th until past 2,5K rmps. Not so anymore! It pulls like a train with no slippage whatsoever. Thought I'd be needing a clutch right after I got RC-ed, but for $21 (new fluid) all is well in my TDI world.
Gear oil has nothing to do with your clutch slipping. Its always more likely that your clutch will slip in winter. Your lack of slipping now is likely due to your warm Georgia weather. I'd be more concerend where that missing gear oil went.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
NarfBLAST said:
Dropped her off for new rear axel bushings (one of them had fallen out!) at 295,000km... they are also replacing siezed right rear brake caliper (left was replaced last year). Quoted $800 for the job. Wife said that if the new Jetta Sportwagon was available in TDI we coulda traded her in instead of fixing it... but alas. We wait.

New diesels, where are you?
I asked dealer if they ever replaced rear axle bushings before, and he told me that they just replace the whole axle beam instead of bushings. After I replaced myself those bushing I understood why they just replace the whole assembley instead of just bushings. Replacing rear axle beam would probably about same or less cost then paying labor cost to have bushing replaced. They are not too hard to remove them, but pressing them in is pain in rear.

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
Sootman said:
Great time for a 6-speed!! or a Peloquin with a 5-speed. I'm a little worried these days about the tranny too. Sorry to hear about yours. We're pretty closely matched car wise.
Sootman I am about to install a R32-air box,Lift pump with AL-MOD, VNT17/22 RC6, OMI,and PP 2.5 DP, do I have to be careful with the tranny? how does you car pull with RC6 and 17/22? I can not wait to try the TDi out with these mods.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI

Washed my car finally ...mounted the GY F1 All Season's.

Tires are beyond excellent in handling ...better feel and steering wheel feed-bakc then the Eagle F1 DS-G3's by far. Sidewalls are super responsive and the car handles like a go-cart but with a velvet ride ...at 33 psi all around.:D

My back teeth, too many TT bushings.... I'm too old for 44 psi all around with a Shine Suspension....

TDikook said:
well brian, at least there weren't plants growing it it.:D :D :p
Do you remember my post on this back in 2006? If you did you'd remember the forest.:D

Click to enlarge

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Finally replaced the missing drivers side vent on the bumper. Also filled up with B99. Tomorrow I do the Brakes.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Loaded up the Golf and headed for Detroit. Didn't get out of the house until after 6:00 but got to Syracuse at 11:30. Here's a picture of when we're ready to go:

The ride is pretty firm with the coilovers and 550F/350R springs. And the 80 durometer mounts make it loud: earplugs are a big help. But it seems to be doing pretty well on what I think is a crappy tank of fuel, probably low 40s at 75 MPH with about 80 miles at 90 (on Route 495 in MA, of course).

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Loaded up the Golf and headed for Detroit. Didn't get out of the house until after 6:00 but got to Syracuse at 11:30. Here's a picture of when we're ready to go:

The ride is pretty firm with the coilovers and 550F/350R springs. And the 80 durometer mounts make it loud: earplugs are a big help. But it seems to be doing pretty well on what I think is a crappy tank of fuel, probably low 40s at 75 MPH with about 80 miles at 90 (on Route 495 in MA, of course).
Nice car!!:D

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Polished the Fiat 128 Coupe(can you remember them...?), cleaned the OEM headlights on the B4v and next used the same rag to clean the windshield and THEN it rained!!!!!!
Good thing the rain drops rolled off the B4's windshield even if it had yellow sparkles(35 year old paint) and road debris on it!

Installed 100mm spacers on the rear wheels w/longer bolts, wished that I had at least 15mm+ spacers for the rear(get them wheels OUT!).

Installed a filter in the engine compartment that has me questioning the long term durability of the turbo(seems that it is leaking through the seals), @ blue vacuum/before the N-75.
(Johnny MOD.?)

Drove it to town and gave a ride to a "friend", he was impressed!

OH well..., that is my old girl, I say :D !

Last edited:

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
Did the 40k maintenance, installed the new dieselgeek oil bypass filter for the brm engine, and picked up some 15" steelies with Continental Pro-Contact tires from a friend who had taken them off his '07 Rabbit.

I'm curious to find out if I get better mileage. The ClassicX's with tires weigh 43lbs, the steelies with tires weigh 30lbs. I took almost no mileage hit whatsoever when I went from 16's to 17's.

Last edited:

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Tisey06 said:
Sootman I am about to install a R32-air box,Lift pump with AL-MOD, VNT17/22 RC6, OMI,and PP 2.5 DP, do I have to be careful with the tranny? how does you car pull with RC6 and 17/22? I can not wait to try the TDi out with these mods.
Not based on my experience. I've beat the crap out of mine for 7-years now and the only issue so far has been the need to replace 5th gear. It was a good opportunity anyway as I've got a 5th gear ratio that works better on the secondary roads around here. IndigoBlueWagon (TDIParts) came up with this idea and it's great.

With those mods it will be fast and smooth. Unlike other turbos I've had the 17/22 is deceptively smooth as it pulls to 6000 RPM's or more with the RC 6. I have to be careful as I tend to look at my boost and EGT gauges when I accelerate and when I finally look at the speedo I'm moving faster than I expect to be going. The roads here are terrible and there aren't lots of places to do a pull in 4th gear. Even in 3rd at 6 grand I'm moving quickly enough to launch myself from a frost heave. Luckily I have a nice FDS suspension, but when putting in the new suspension Mrchill did find a broken rear spring last fall.

You'll love it.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Swapped the SMOG 216 for PP764.

No noticeable power improvement, but I did lose some smoke, that just mean I can fuel it a little more.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Brian: That plate "144 144"....unique for Conn?

What I did (some good, some not so): Put in my second Recaro Leather seat (driver's side) bought from BB. Air bag connector pin slid back (unknown to me) and tripped the airbag light :( . So now I need a 'friend" with a Vag-Com to clear the code..:D

Curious, but will the OBDII readers at Autozone clear it?:confused:

Tony

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Few minutes ago installed new air filter, cabin air filter & fuel filter. They weren't too bad but I reather replace little bit earlier then too late and have some dust get into engine and breath dusty air.