Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old March 13th, 2018, 11:20   #4336
Tin Man
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

I'd prefer if they use "real world" data which would favor diesel, no matter the energy density of the fuel. CO2 is definitely better in diesels due to efficiency of burning.

How To Lie With Statistics: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_8r0u192p7n_e

I'd rather stick with my current diesel, knowing things may change when there is more experience with EV's (I do favor them to some extent) and not rely on biased futurist proclamations and "data" from groups like the EPA and OCS who have their own agendas.

'16 535d, '17 XE 2.0d, '04 NB TDI PD DSG
"We see things not as they are, but as we are."-- H. M. Tomlinson
"Once I make up my mind, I'm full of indecision."-- Oscar Levant

Last edited by Tin Man; March 13th, 2018 at 11:24.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 12:16   #4337
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor
TDI(s): None

Keep in mind that they're not talking about diesels. I'm talking about diesels. They're only talking about gasoline cars, because in the grand scheme of things, diesels are utterly irrelevant to the US discussion.

And, it'd be nice if there was real-world data on every car, although reproducibility on real-world data is difficult. The EPA does collect real user data, though.

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54   #4338
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
Fuel Economy: see signature

Numerous posts discussing CO2 emissions of diesel vs. gasoline and ethanol have been moved to this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=487388

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:48   #4339
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: Fuelly

Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Doesn't seem like a very significaant difference, and certainly not enough for me to want to tolerate the range limitations and charging time wasted on the Tesla . . . . Time is worth something as well!
Misconception of charge times. Unless you travel 100s of miles each day your charge times are effectively 0 minutes. Example: Typical 30 mile commute results in pluggin in my garage Level 2 charger as soon as I arrive home and go about my business, 0 minutes waiting to charge.

When I owned my TDI I would have to plan a trip to refuel at a station known to have good B5 or less diesel fuel. This would take approximately 30 minutes of my time every 3 weeks. 52/3 = 17.33 refueling stops annually. 17.33 X 30 minutes = 519 minutes annually or 519/60 = 8 hours. So I would spend 8 hours of my time annually under ideal conditions to refuel my TDI. This is not even calculating the additional time required to search while traveling for a good source of B5 or less diesel fuel.

On my vacation road trips in my Tesla I spend nowhere near that amount of time charging.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:00   #4340
Veteran Member

Misconception of diesel refueling times as well. Known good station by my house and maybe 5 minutes to fuel up. My refueling frequency is similar to yours. Also I have filled up at any stations that look well used, no research involved. B20 or less is okay from my experience. 1 1/2 hours a year refueling, nothing to even make note of over a year.

Who spends 30 minutes every time they need fuel researching where to go? Even when I use GasBuddy to find the least expensive fuel near me it takes nowhere near that much time.
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:20   #4341
Veteran Member

The only times I go out of my way to get diesel is when I need it for my tractor. For the car I pick it up along the way. I do look forward to getting an EV in 3-5 years. I think most of the range anxiety issues will have been solved by then.
Making chalk mark on generator- $1
Knowing where to make mark- $9,999
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote