www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 13th, 2018, 13:37   #1
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI
Default The Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI Was More Of A Nightmare Than You Can Possibly Imagine

The Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI Was More Of A Nightmare Than You Can Possibly Imagine
"Recently I put together an article about the VW W8 Passat, a car so needlessly complicated and expensive to operate I was sure it was the most infamously unreliable Volkswagen in modern history. Then the V10 Touareg showed up and blew my mentions into smithereens."

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 21:08   #2
Dsmart

1. One turbo failed. This required dropping the entire drivetrain out of the bottom of the vehicle. ~30 hours and special equipment and a ~$1400 turbo later, it didn’t work right. And that was the dealer master mechanic “fixing” it. I won’t get into things like the dealer breaking and then re-installing the broken driveshaft, as I blame that on the dealer.

( So the dealer was incompetent??....most modern turbo's with electronic actuators cost around the same so.....fault of the touareg??)

2. One battery failed. The one under the driver seat. The driver seat that requires a 17mm triple square socket to remove. Because one battery failed, a complex and untraceable decision-making process was performed by the vehicle and it decided it wouldn’t start with either battery but it WOULD continue to allow battery drain from various accessories. I had to replace both batteries ($250/per battery at walmart rates believe it or not). One battery was under that seat, the other required 18 10mm bolts to be removed. EIGHTEEN.

(Fair to assume that any vehicle will need to have the batteries replaced at some point. touareg's fault? Also the story of EIGHTEEN 10mm bolts is patently false. The rear luggage tray is removed, spare tire is removed which require 1x13mm bolt. 4x10mm bolts hold down the battery. Job done.)

Mine has close to 300,000kms and has all the factory suspension, bearings, exhaust...you name it. How many other 12 year old vehicles can say that. It drives like a new car, can tow whatever the truck boys would hitch up to and get the mileage of a family sedan....oh and go offroad wherever most people would dare take a jeep. There really is nothing out there that can combine all that. After all that I do agree there are cheaper vehicles to DD but if you want to have it all it doesnt come cheap. Rant over
Dsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:35   #3
RSMS

I believe.....some people should drive a Sante Fe or other basic transportation vehicle. A V10 T-reg is not a basic transportation vehicle and with that being said it does cost more to operate. In the roughly 100k I put on mine it has been very reliable If mine got totaled I would probably look for another as they are great vehicles...
RSMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 13:18   #4
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Here’s a beautiful example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Volksw...p=mtr#viTabs_1

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 14:33   #5
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Certainly NOT for the faint of wallet.