Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjLyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2-Door TDI DSG
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/20/reut...5000-each-to-settle-dieselgate--die-welt.html
BERLIN, April 20 (Reuters) - Volkswagen has reached a deal with U.S. authorities to settle the case over its cheating of diesel emissions tests that would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000, Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported on Wednesday.
Citing unidentified sources close to the negotiations, Die Welt said the agreement would be presented on Thursday to Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco, avoiding a trial that was set to start in the summer.
A U.S. federal judge last month gave Volkswagen and regulators until April 21 to agree on a fix for nearly 600,000 diesel cars on U.S. roads implicated by VW's emissions test-rigging scandal.
If true, and that's all they offer, I'll tell them where they can stick that $5k when I file suit.

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Right? I can't believe this is the whole story. It doesn't address repairs/buybacks.. nothing.
I'd bet this is for certain customers, say Gen 3 customers who might have to deal with the inconvenience of filling their tanks more or something. If this was the solution for Gen 1 customers, they're gonna have to lawyer up, cuz this won't fly.
Yeah I don't know. $5k covers my lost resale value but that's it. Prob spend it 2x over on parts.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
I'll take a grain of salt the size of Everest, please. :p
VW is up 5% today, market likes it when things resolve, the 8% bump in 2 days would lend credibility to a settlement in the near term.

mjLyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2-Door TDI DSG
Larger article:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-court-idUSKCN0XH0ZV
Volkswagen has reached a deal with U.S. authorities to settle the case over its cheating of diesel emissions tests that would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000, Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Citing unidentified sources close to the negotiations, Die Welt said the agreement would be presented on Thursday to Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco, avoiding a trial.

Volkswagen (VW) declined to comment.

Earlier on Wednesday, the possibility of a settlement had boosted the carmaker's shares by 6.6 percent, the biggest gain in Germany's benchmark DAX index.

A U.S. federal judge last month gave VW and regulators until Thursday to agree on a fix for nearly 600,000 diesel cars on U.S. roads implicated by VW's emissions test-rigging scandal.

The company does "not believe any expedited hearing or bench trial is appropriate or required", according to the agenda for the hearing on Thursday at the San Francisco district court about VW's progress toward reaching a deal with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

The plaintiffs - a committee representing thousands of consumers who say they were tricked into buying polluting diesel vehicles - proposed an expedited hearing or bench trial, or an expedited "all issues" trial including punitive damages.

Die Welt said the agreement did not include a detailed plan to fix the affected cars, nor were details fixed on fines and other compensation measures, with one source saying the deal would be fleshed out in the coming months.

However, the owners of affected cars should receive $5,000 each in compensation and VW will separately have to pay to fix their vehicles, the paper said.

German lawyer Christopher Rother told Die Welt that plaintiffs in Europe would seek to emulate the U.S. deal for their customers too.

Earlier on Wednesday, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters that VW would substantially increase the amount of money set aside to cover its emissions test cheating scandal from the 6.7 billion euros ($7.6 billion) currently earmarked.

Europe's biggest carmaker will make provisions for a double-digit billion-euro amount in its 2015 results on April 28, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

One said the German company might not pay a dividend to shareholders on the results and if it did, it would be less than 1 euro per share. Volkswagen (VW) paid out 4.80 euros per common share and 4.86 euros per preference share on 2014 results.

VW declined to comment.

The company is struggling to put a cost on the biggest business scandal in its history seven months after it admitted to cheating U.S. diesel emissions tests, as it is embroiled in legal proceedings around the world.

Arndt Ellinghorst, an analyst at market research firm Evercore ISI, expects VW's total costs from the "dieselgate" scandal to reach about 30 billion euros.

Final provisions will depend on the outcome of talks with U.S. regulators, the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission, one of the sources said.

Analysts have said a deal with U.S. authorities, also on financial penalties, would remove a major deterrent to investing in VW, whose shares have lost billions in value since the scandal broke in September.

"It would be a major positive trigger for the stock if VW quantified the total potential cost of the diesel affair," said Evercore ISI's Ellinghorst, who recommends buying VW shares.

Scandal-related expenses could cut VW's fourth-quarter operating profit 70 percent to 992 million euros, a Reuters poll of analysts found.
So $5k + a "fix". But they won't say what the fix is... no thanks.

Last edited:

qwaszxxx

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/Tech
The article reporting the news as translated by Google:

In the exhaust affair have the Volkswagen Corporation and the US Department of Justice and the comprehensive EPA and CARB and the competent authorities of the Federal States apparently agreed on a settlement.

As the "world" learned from negotiating parties, the agreement paper to be the relevant US Judge Charles Breyer presented on Thursday afternoon German time in San Francisco at the court. This avoids that Breyer "Diesel Gate" as threatened in the case opened in the summer of a process. The ultimatum of the judge for an agreement would have expired on Thursday afternoon at 17 o'clock.

Reportedly from negotiating circles, has been fought to the end to the comparison. Unlike initially expected, but presented no detailed plan for the conversion of up to 600,000 cars with the agreement in principle, which are affected by the exhaust manipulation of the VW Group in the United States.

And the penalties and remedial measures are not covered by the agreement in detail. "It is, rather, a kind of framework paper, in which the main line is set for the coming months and will continue working on the" says a process participants.

Details are therefore not yet been notified by the court hearing in San Francisco. "Everyone involved in this case have agreed not to disclose," it said. As the "world" but found out it is clear that each US holder of a car in the VW Group, which is equipped with an offending software, $ 5,000 should receive compensation. Separately, must bear the costs of converting the respective cars Volkswagen.

Billion cost for VW

The Settlement provides broadly that the VW group most of the equipped with the Cheat software cars so umrüstet that they meet the legal requirements. A smaller part will have to buy back the Wolfsburg because retrofitting is not too costly or technically possible. For this, the car company has to pay a heavy fine and undertake to finance environmental protection measures, in particular for air pollution control.

Course Details on
All this will cost Volkswagen billion. Nevertheless, Wolfsburg should be happy that a framework for loads of diesel gate in the US has been plugged. The Group must bear the cost can be roughly estimated, to make appropriate provisions for, 2015. Otherwise he could not on Friday as planned to present the financial results for the past year - and even that is already later than originally planned. Less than a week later, stands at the annual accounts press conference.

Christopher Rother, the German partner of the US star attorney Michael Hausfeld, however, made ​​clear that a comparison in the US only one piece of the puzzle in the work-up of the exhaust affair could be. "We have here in Europe millions of affected cars. And we will make the arrangements for US customers to scale for compensation from German VW-owners." The firm Hausfeld is one of the representatives of the plaintiffs in the collection process against Volkswagen in the US. Hausfeld had announced to enforce the demands of German customers. "What concerned entitled in the United States, and the customer needs in this country is entitled," Rother said. After the US thus rolled to an avalanche of costs at VW in Germany."

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I completely disagree. You think Takata airbags only affect VW.... try again. I am a VW owner, and a happy one at that, and a single father of an 8 year-old, I have full custody.

People are just looking for a hand out from all of this. It clearly shows the workings of this country and how everyone needs to have their panties in a bunch about something and get something out of someone for nothing.

Diesel-gate is a joke. Emissions standards are a joke and not based on any empirical science, I work in this field. I applaud VW for taking a chance and saying "to hell with the EPA and CARB" and selling me this bad ass family car. Good Luck EPA getting me to change this car to meet your un-thought-out regulations. My car is staying perfect just the way it is. Still a happy customer at 90,xxx non-maintenance miles and thanks for the free money in the Goodwill Package, you shouldn't have.

100% is a scam and does nothing but give the government more control, never mind the damage it does to the economy.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/20/reut...5000-each-to-settle-dieselgate--die-welt.html
BERLIN, April 20 (Reuters) - Volkswagen has reached a deal with U.S. authorities to settle the case over its cheating of diesel emissions tests that would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000, Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported on Wednesday.
Citing unidentified sources close to the negotiations, Die Welt said the agreement would be presented on Thursday to Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco, avoiding a trial that was set to start in the summer.
A U.S. federal judge last month gave Volkswagen and regulators until April 21 to agree on a fix for nearly 600,000 diesel cars on U.S. roads implicated by VW's emissions test-rigging scandal.

I can see the fine being $5000 per car.. but paying the customer for the EPA/CARB suits makes little sense - that would be the CAS if anything.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
VW is up 5% today, market likes it when things resolve, the 8% bump in 2 days would lend credibility to a settlement in the near term.

The entire market is up, so that's proof of nothing.

The article didn't address an actual fix. $5,000 sounds like a nice number, until one looks beyond it to what the actual fix is. For 5 grand, would any of you let them hack up your Pre-SCR TDI?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Right? I can't believe this is the whole story. It doesn't address repairs/buybacks.. nothing.
I'd bet this is for certain customers, say Gen 3 customers who might have to deal with the inconvenience of filling their tanks more or something. If this was the solution for Gen 1 customers, they're gonna have to lawyer up, cuz this won't fly.
really?!?! $5K for filling up DEF at what should have been the normal rate, wow this thread is really getting messed up with people looking for hand outs.

Also when does news from VW come from Berlin? maybe that's just a CNBC thing.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
really?!?! $5K for filling up DEF at what should have been the normal rate, wow this thread is really getting messed up with people looking for hand outs.

I agree to some degree. But if their concern is that "5,000 isn't enough to hand over my car to you to hack it up and retrofit some kind of system", I agree with them as well.

YikeGrymon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta (-erl-) 2004 R32 (-gaz-).... 2017 Tiguan replaced both
uh oh

Suddenly it occurs to me that maybe the $5K -- assuming this is for real -- is incentive to get us to submit to The Hack Job (i.e., retrofit SCR systems). Because VW is smart enough to understand that very few of us would go for that on its own.

Think about it. Settling with Murkan owners of these cars, and/or reducing our general ire, does nothing to settle with CARB/EPA.

aaack

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Any settlement in the CAS announced tomorrow means nothing. The FTC consumer fraud case is the real hammer. There is a motion on the agenda tomorrow to combine the FTC case with the rest of the MDL under Judge Breyer, so I'm anxious to hear what he says about that.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
The entire market is up, so that's proof of nothing.

The article didn't address an actual fix. $5,000 sounds like a nice number, until one looks beyond it to what the actual fix is. For 5 grand, would any of you let them hack up your Pre-SCR TDI?
Zero chance of 5k cash getting the car hacked up. Only way the car gets touched is with a covers everything forever warranty from fuel in to exhaust out. I'll take care of the bodywork, and things outside the motor, but mess with that, they own it, and keep it working, not me on my dime.

Last recall I had done they replaced the brake switch. Less than a year later dead brake booster. That was a $200 fix including parts, they are asking to mess with something far more expensive this time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree to some degree. But if their concern is that "5,000 isn't enough to hand over my car to you to hack it up and retrofit some kind of system", I agree with them as well.

you have a Passat, what sort of "hacking" do you think you'd face to make it compliant?

those with LNT are in a different world.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
The 5 grand figure sounds about right for lost value. It's actually the exact number i told my friend and fellow tdi owner. All along, we were going to be entitled to actual loses and that's about how much value my car lost.

I always thought the talk about buy backs and full msrp was nothing but wishful thinking. the legal system allows for actual damages, which in this case is the actual drop in value the customer realized. I'm not saying that it's right or just, that's just how the system works.

they may have to settle more with other authorities and all that, but as for their relationship with their customers, something close to this will be all they could be on the hook for. i don't consider it "generous" as ken suckberg told us, but legal in our system. If it does happen, I will still be bitter about the whole thing, but i will leave vw forever, and most all german companies as well.

we still dont know for sure but this is what I expected all along. We will see

All just my opinion

Last edited:

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
I agree, but if I had a passat that only required increased adblue (assuming that would work) I would take the 5k and be happy... but 5k for them to retrofit adblue into my car (gen 1), my answer is hell no!

Last edited:

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Zero chance of 5k cash getting the car hacked up. Only way the car gets touched is with a covers everything forever warranty from fuel in to exhaust out. I'll take care of the bodywork, and things outside the motor, but mess with that, they own it, and keep it working, not me on my dime.

Last recall I had done they replaced the brake switch. Less than a year later dead brake booster. That was a $200 fix including parts, they are asking to mess with something far more expensive this time.
And that was my point. Most of the people on this forum would not accept a retrofit of this magnitude, even with a $5,000 cash caveat. John Q. Public, who happens to be a TDI owner, on the other hand....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any settlement in the CAS announced tomorrow means nothing. The FTC consumer fraud case is the real hammer. There is a motion on the agenda tomorrow to combine the FTC case with the rest of the MDL under Judge Breyer, so I'm anxious to hear what he says about that.

Not that I don't believe you, but what was the last big hammer the FTC slammed down?

I know people think the big bad gov can do things but what is the history of big windfalls of an FTC suit?

I seriously don't know, i'm trying to understand why people thing FTC is the end all of this.

YikeGrymon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta (-erl-) 2004 R32 (-gaz-).... 2017 Tiguan replaced both
My latest annoyance with this whole thing: While scanning things on line it's become very easy to mix up "Dieselgate" and "Delegate" and get distracted by one while thinking about the other (either way)

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
you have a Passat, what sort of "hacking" do you think you'd face to make it compliant?
those with LNT are in a different world.

That's why I said "their's" not "mine" or "our".

Though, the fix on my car isn't as easy as "increased adblue consumption". It will require a larger SCR to react with the extra adblue. If you've ever been under or over a Passat, there isn't exactly a ton of room there, and I doubt they're going to mess around with the firewall to make more room.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I'm now starting to feel the effects of dieselgate on the value of our vehicles. Got an estimate from my body shop this morning (after a 400 pound deer buck rammed into the left side of my JSW), and I've lost about $1500-2000 in value since dieselgate broke, according to what the insurance company values the vehicle at.
pk:)

.... every car is different...

... you know I watch my KBB & NADA often...

... dropped a bunch at first. ~ $3,000 ??

... has leveled off and recouped (about) $700 - $800 this last month

... normal mileage for my car is ~ 20,500 ... and I rate it as CLEAN condition

... oh well ... life goes on -- and who knows what will happen tomorrow

----------------

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
"Die Welt said the agreement did not include a detailed plan to fix the affected cars, nor were details fixed on fines and other compensation measures, with one source saying the deal would be fleshed out in the coming months."

Sounds like they're merely using the fraud compensation (5k) figure as a constant, and letting the EPA fine, fix and buyback details remain variables. I can understand the logic of going about things this way, and how VW would want appease customers who are on the cusp of defecting.

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Reuters is also reporting VW will offer buybacks to 500K US car owners as well as the 5K$. My guess it will be up to the owners choice. Buyback or 5K and a fix down the road. I doubt you will get both.

Cant wait on the microwave for popcorn I'm going straight to pretzels and beer. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.