Please don't flame... Passat Gasser

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
Has anyone replaced their Passat TDI, DSG with the new 2.0 gasser Passat? If so, I know it must be a huge let-down after the TDI but is it livable? I ask because I am very satisfied with the Passat comfort, handling (for its size) and storage. The rear seats allow for full trunk access which is a big item for me. I toss my bike back there almost daily.

After lots of yoga and meditation sessions I have come to grips with the knowledge that nothing will replace the TDI performance. Unfortunately that is a dead issue now. However, the newer technology (backup camera, etc) is appealing to me and I have not seen anything else that might be a reasonable replacement. I did take a closer look at the new Honda Accord - God help me...

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
the ea888-3B on the Passat/Beetle is a huge letdown. It's detuned compared to the Tiguan ea888-3B (which people complained about the drop in HP, but convenient overlook its increased torque).

Plus, you need to find VW508.00 oil.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
the ea888-3B on the Passat/Beetle is a huge letdown. It's detuned compared to the Tiguan ea888-3B (which people complained about the drop in HP, but convenient overlook its increased torque).

Plus, you need to find VW508.00 oil.
Thank you for your input! Whether or not this is crazy, I'm going to checkout the Accord and Camry Hybrid. I've never experienced the Hybrid ride. It's killing me to do this but, like everyone else here, I just need to get used to the idea that the diesel thingy is over. I thought about the 3 series BMW diesel but I don't want to go down that road with that company.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
why is the tdi (diesel thingy") over?? I love mine and so do others!..sorry you feel that way..

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
why is the tdi (diesel thingy") over?? I love mine and so do others!..sorry you feel that way..
Perhaps I should have been more specific. I don’t keep a car, regardless of mileage, more than about 6 years. If VW hadn’t screwed the pooch I would be looking at my next NEW Passat TDI at the end of this year. However, that “thingy” is over.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
wow, I didn't know they got rid of the 1.8T in the passat, bummer, i guess the search for higher MPG will never end. I'd at least take the 2.0 for a test drive and see if you can live with it.

I'd look for some hold over for the 1.8t, yeah you got the aisin transmissions but a simple stg 1 tune on the 1.8t platform will raise the torque higher than a stock TDI. Yeah it wont' be new new, but it'll at least have car play and fresh features the NMS got in the fresh in 2016.

If rear leg room is a selling point those camerys and accords won't hold a candle to the NMS platform.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
If rear leg room is a selling point those camerys and accords won't hold a candle to the NMS platform.
That may be a deal breaker right there. Thanks for the heads-up!

If it is going to be another VW (gasser this time) I will go for the Passat since the new standard factory warranty will take me to my next car 6 years from now. The 72K mile warranty is a no-brainer since my 2013 TDI only has 35K now (and another year of factory extended warranty). Most of those miles are highway. I always loved the ability to drive from Philadelphia to Charleston, SC without stopping. Once again, I need to change my mindset about these things going forward.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
wow, I didn't know they got rid of the 1.8T in the passat, bummer, i guess the search for higher MPG will never end. I'd at least take the 2.0 for a test drive and see if you can live with it.

<snip>
Yes, the new Passats are strictly the 2.0....unless one wishes to spring for the GT or the SEL in the VR6 version, and live with its fuel consumption.
We'll start the process of selecting another car in June, and we'll definitely drive the Passat, but I've read good & bad about the 2.0 engine. Supposedly fine around town, but definitely less than stellar on the highway when it comes to smoothness or passing power. So, maybe we decide to live with the VR6, because we do enjoy the Passat's other virtues.
Or maybe we just go with another vehicle. I've got the Accord, Legacy, Buick Regal, Mazda 6, and maybe the Volvo s60 on the short list...but several of those are long shots. Not a lot of choices out there for those who don't like SUVs or "crossovers."

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We also looked at the S60 but size of the Passat to the S60 is like comparing a crown vic to a yaris. Sure the styling/finish of the S60 is great, but she's not gifted in space.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I would keep the car. That would be the smart move.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We also looked at the S60 but size of the Passat to the S60 is like comparing a crown vic to a yaris. Sure the styling/finish of the S60 is great, but she's not gifted in space.
This is sorry news; the space in the NMS was one of the big reasons we bought it 5 years ago. We'll probably take a look at the s90, but given the price tag and the hit in fuel economy, it's a very long shot.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
wow, I didn't know they got rid of the 1.8T in the passat, bummer
Did you drive the 1.8T Passat? I was absolutely unimpressed. Very loud (louder than my TDI jetta by a good margin), weird powerband... and automatic trans (non DSG) only, right? That transmission could never decide what gear it wanted to be in... always on the hunt. Barely touch the pedal and it downshifts like speedracer. That engine was built for torque, so it didn't wind up like I'm used to with European engines. It also fell flat on it's face at higher RPM on the highway. I struggled to find any saving grace. I was much more pleased with the bottom of the barrel 1.4T in the Jetta, which BTW has the same torque rating and only 10 less horsepower.

I digress.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you drive the 1.8T Passat? I was absolutely unimpressed. <snip>
That's why the 2.0 TSI worries me. The Passat is on the short list for replacements, but we may end up with the VR6.....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If not for the diesel I wouldn't buy an NMS Passat. The platform is old, NVH is far worse than competition, gas engine performance and reliability is not great. I'd look at a new Accord or Mazda 6 first. And both of those cars are available with manual transmissions, if that matters to you.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
If not for the diesel I wouldn't buy an NMS Passat. The platform is old, NVH is far worse than competition, gas engine performance and reliability is not great.
So what your saying here is that the TDI version is great and that makes up for the poor performance of the currently available NMS Passat platform? No Passat was ever designed to be a performance/race car. Just a comfortable sedan.

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
So what your saying here is that the TDI version is great and that makes up for the poor performance of the currently available NMS Passat platform? No Passat was ever designed to be a performance/race car. Just a comfortable sedan.
There was the B6 R36 Passat that was not available in the US

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And compared to current competition, it's not very good as a comfortable sedan. I test drove a leftover '15 a couple weeks ago and was struck on how inferior it is in fit and finish, ride, noise levels, and handling compared to my MKVII GSW, even though the GSW is a smaller, less expensive vehicle. The platform that the NMS is based on was first introduced in '05.5 (MKV Jetta). The industry, including VW, has improved cars a lot in the ensuing 13 years. And the NMS was always built to a price. If space is your main purchase criteria above all others, then it may be the best choice. If not, there are better cars out there.

If the OP is interested in sticking with VW I'd wait for the Arteon.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
And compared to current competition, it's not very good as a comfortable sedan. I test drove a leftover '15 a couple weeks ago and was struck on how inferior it is in fit and finish, ride, noise levels, and handling compared to my MKVII GSW, even though the GSW is a smaller, less expensive vehicle. The platform that the NMS is based on was first introduced in '05.5 (MKV Jetta). The industry, including VW, has improved cars a lot in the ensuing 13 years. And the NMS was always built to a price. If space is your main purchase criteria above all others, then it may be the best choice. If not, there are better cars out there.

So what you are saying is that all of us that drive a VW NMS TDI Passat are driving an inferior car the only saving grace is that it is a TDI.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The OP says he's looking for a new car. It's 2018. There are cars available now that weren't when the Passat was launched in 2012, and some of them perform better than the facelifted 2018 Passat. Previously, the diesel was a good reason to buy a Passat, and when it was launched it compared reasonably well to its competition. Six years later, with no diesel available, not so much.

I don't think it's any secret that most reviewers thought of the Passat TDI as having an excellent and unique engine in a pretty good car. Now the OP can choose an older, pretty good car with a competitive engine. Not as good an equation. So I guess my answer to your question is yes, although I wouldn't say "inferior." Just not as good as some current competitors.

If I were the OP, I'd definitely consider a low mileage bought back '15 Passat, but largely because I could get a diesel. But he wants new. If I were to choose a Passat now I'd look at the GT, for the V6 and the DSG transmission. If you're going to give up FE, why not enjoy the engine?

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I looked at reviews and pictures of the Arteon. With the hatch open and the seats folded down, it almost looked like a sportwagen back there! I thought that was pretty impressive to have a sedan that could function like a sportwagen, and I'm not even a sportwagen guy.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you drive the 1.8T Passat? I was absolutely unimpressed. Very loud (louder than my TDI jetta by a good margin), weird powerband... and automatic trans (non DSG) only, right? That transmission could never decide what gear it wanted to be in... always on the hunt. Barely touch the pedal and it downshifts like speedracer. That engine was built for torque, so it didn't wind up like I'm used to with European engines. It also fell flat on it's face at higher RPM on the highway. I struggled to find any saving grace. I was much more pleased with the bottom of the barrel 1.4T in the Jetta, which BTW has the same torque rating and only 10 less horsepower.
I digress.

Had a Passat '16 S as a loaner, other than hard shifting if you push the transmission, it was a great highway cruiser, gearing is almost on par with our '15 TDI at 70MPH, that 1.8t is hardly spinning. Tip in off the line she wanted to jump and was very responsive, agreed passing on the highway was going to fall short she just doesn't have the power when need be.

I've also driven a '16 Jetta with a 1.4t, I believe its the same tranny, both were decent but lacked the charm of the TDI in power.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Did you drive the 1.8T Passat? I was absolutely unimpressed. Very loud (louder than my TDI jetta by a good margin), weird powerband... and automatic trans (non DSG) only, right? That transmission could never decide what gear it wanted to be in... always on the hunt.
My father has as '16 1.8t Passat, and I found it to drive great. The motor has good torque, and unlike the old 1.8t makes more power as it revs up. When cursing I found it no louder than our '12 TDI. I also liked the way the Aisin trans shifted. It's geared high (which makes for quiet cruising), so flooring it on the highway would result in a 2 or 3 gear drop... no big deal. I guess after driving other Aisin equipped VWs (our Touareg, roomates Tiguan) I'm used to how then operate. In some ways I like them more than the DSG....

Dad says he's getting around 40 MPG in his 1.8t. He got about 47 in a stick '12 Jetta TDI, so that's not too shabby in my book!

-J

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that MPG was what i noticed in the short time I had loaner Passat 1.8t and Jetta 1.4t with the jetta being slightly better, 41ish hand calculated over 300 miles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The OP says he's looking for a new car. It's 2018. There are cars available now that weren't when the Passat was launched in 2012, and some of them perform better than the facelifted 2018 Passat. Previously, the diesel was a good reason to buy a Passat, and when it was launched it compared reasonably well to its competition. Six years later, with no diesel available, not so much.

I don't think it's any secret that most reviewers thought of the Passat TDI as having an excellent and unique engine in a pretty good car. Now the OP can choose an older, pretty good car with a competitive engine. Not as good an equation. So I guess my answer to your question is yes, although I wouldn't say "inferior." Just not as good as some current competitors.

If I were the OP, I'd definitely consider a low mileage bought back '15 Passat, but largely because I could get a diesel. But he wants new. If I were to choose a Passat now I'd look at the GT, for the V6 and the DSG transmission. If you're going to give up FE, why not enjoy the engine?
I've often thought that if it weren't for the TDI, I would probably not have bought a VW. Other than the NCS and NMS that were designed for a US price point, VWs have typically trended toward the higher price range of the vehicle class. Sure only Subaru has anything close to the JSW but there are plenty of options for the other models.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

And, with a Passat to turn in sometime between now and the end of the year, the timetable is looking pretty tight. I've corresponded in our local dealer, and got an answer: they've been told to expect their first Arteons late summer, probably September. So- we'll start car shopping next month and find a pick from whatever else is out there (not much, given the wonderful world of SUVs and crossovers we live in). We'll drive the Accord for sure, probably the Buick Regal and the Subaru Legacy. The Volvo 90-class we'll drive for drill, but I can't anticipate spending that much money. And, if we can, we'll wait to check out the Arteon....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've seen a few pics of Aertons at dealers, but they may be promo only.