Buy Back Options Price Lower Than Stated

JPOVS

TDI
Hi, I tried looking through a few pages to see if anyone else has had this issue before I posted this and I couldn’t find anyone.

I have a 2009 Jetta TDI that I purchased new with sunroof, 17” expensive rims, and ground effects. I contacted VW TDI customer support and they said I would only get $450 for it as it states on there end and lists the sunroof, 17” rims, and ground effects. I don’t understand why I’m not at a minimum getting the $540 for the sunroof that’s listed on the website documents section for my region? Or in my mind should be more than the $540 since these other two options came with a hefty price tag.

-Ground Effects Kit: $1,699.00
-17” karthoum dark silver wheels: $1,350.00
-Sunroof: $1,000.00

These were installed at the factory, not by the dealership. Also listed on the original sales sheet on the vehicle window while in the parking lot. The same sales sheet that lists all the specs including MPG’s. Not written in with a pen like some dealerships do.

I have filed an appeal last night but after reading some others appeals, this could be a while before I hear back. Curious what your guys thoughts are?
Thank you for your time!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You get NOTHING in the way of compensation for options outside of a select few. This was extensively discussed early on, and it is what it is. The buyback pricing is established in rough groups based on specific factory options that were indicative of which trim level was purchased but THAT'S IT.

In your case, the sunroof is the only thing that counts for anything.

You can take the ground-effects parts off and replace them with stock, in cases where the ground-effects parts replace stock parts (a lot of the time they are pure add-ons, in which case they can simply be taken off) and you can take the wheels off and replace them with cheap steelies. Return the car like that, and sell the other stuff independently.

You are not supposed to return cars that are "stripped". It came with wheels, it has to have wheels. It came with a radio, it has to have a radio. More pertinently to your situation ... It came with a front bumper cover, it has to have a front bumper cover. It doesn't have to be the fancy ground-effects one - the standard one will do.

JPOVS

TDI
Thank you for letting me know. I guess that will save me the time of waiting for an answer from VW. This stinks as they were factory options that cost far more than any other option VW is paying out on. Unfortunately I don’t think there would be much of a market for a 2009 ground effects and or rims.

Anyone know why there giving me less than what a sunroof should get according to VW court documents? Only $450 vs the stated $540?

Probably in this case with the rims and ground effects I would have been better opting out and getting an attorney?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Even in the open market ... When you sell a car privately, aftermarket parts are generally worth nothing, or so close to nothing so as to not be meaningful. Since you bought that car, you've gotten 9 years of use out of them. Just call it good.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
even in the open market ... When you sell a car privately, aftermarket parts are generally worth nothing, or so close to nothing so as to not be meaningful. Since you bought that car, you've gotten 9 years of use out of them. Just call it good.
huge plus one!