Can I get some sage advice on this?

MPMN

TDI
A8L TDI
So i have been reading everyone's posts for months now and have definitely appreciated everyones experience/perspectives. Now i have a question of my own-
I have a '14 A8L TDI which I love everything about. To date, I've actually received the Bosch payment and the first half of the Audi payment, but have not yet gone in to get the final fix done to my car for final payment.
After reading others commentary on how their car has performed post fix, I am considering not having final fix done or holding off as long as i can. Additionally since I live in Minnesota, Im very concerned about what I've read how the engine performs in cold weather.
So my question is, are my concerns overstated, and besides not getting the final payment, is there a legal or time limit requirement to getting the final fix completed on the car?
Thoughts? Thanks.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
It is reasonable to be concerned. You will find all sorts of opinion on the impact of the fix on vehicles here. I have found the fix quite easy to live with. Others haven't. For what it is worth, the A8 fix is not supposed to result in an mpg decline (like the Q5 -- up to 1mpg) or between-service adblue refills (like the A6 or A7 with smaller tank).

By going ahead with the fix, your risk is being unhappy with it. You would still have options at that point (engine tunes etc). By not going ahead, you risk needing an expensive repair that Audi is not obligated to fix, under the terms of the settlement extended warranty as I understand it. Also, there is this: Audi claims that they will stop supporting unfixed cars past a certain point and that they may require you to have the fix to receive service, depending on the part needed.

I don't know how sage that advice was. Maybe it comes down to how much tolerance for change you have.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I have also been concerned about the reports from owners who have had the fix. As a result, I have decided to delay the fix as long as possible. We have until April of 2020 to get the fix. By April of 2020 I will have approx 110k miles. If the fix ruins the car I can then easily justify selling it and buying something else. If the fix turns out to be ok I will have a warranty covering the car until the 160k mile mark.

MPMN

TDI
A8L TDI
Good input

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. I did not realize it was 2020 to get the fix done.
I am also looking at the 2015 Q7 TDI either new or used because i'd also like to get a suv for my wife and love the diesel however the same "performance" issues surround vehicle too i assume.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
My new 2016 A8L drives very similarly to how my unfixed 2015 A8L drove before I traded it in. The 2016 gets slightly lower mpg.

MPMN

TDI
A8L TDI
Thanks for your comments. Since my Audi warrenty runs out in Sept 2019, I will get the fix done right before it expires so i get the powertrain extended warrenty. I guess i might as well wait and continue to enjoy the car in its natural state. Im assuming the only thing i lose is the time value of the money for the final payment?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I would consider extending the warranty as long as possible (i.e. delaying the fix until just before regular warranty runs out) to be worth more than the time value of the payment.

Watch out for filing deadlines, though. It's September 2018 for the 2.0 4-cyl and it has to get done by Dec 2018. I know the 3.0 is later but I don't know by how much.

I am predicting that the next flurry of angst on this forum will be 2.0 owners who procrastinated and miss the filing deadline and are thus eligible for nothing. They've only got 4 months and change to get it done, as of right now.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I would consider extending the warranty as long as possible (i.e. delaying the fix until just before regular warranty runs out) to be worth more than the time value of the payment.

They've only got 4 months and change to get it done, as of right now.
If by the time of the fix the predicted mileage would be less than 72k miles on the odometer, it's better for him to do the fix, get the money and run NOW. Because the 10 year/120k warranty will come into play rather than the 4 year/48k miles warranty.

If it would be over 72k miles, he probably should delay the fix as long as possible. Because the 4 year/48k warranty will come into play rather than the 10 year/120k miles warranty, then.

MPMN

TDI
A8L TDI
Thanks everyone. So my A8L is a 2014 and i bought it certified preowned. The regular warranty has run out and im in the extended warranty piece now till Sept 2019. I only have 42k on it, so maybe its a push either way to get the fix. But if it happens to neuter my car like ive read about, I'd rather wait? Thoughts?