If there is a Buyback..What would it take for you get out of your TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Yeah I know, we don't know what will happen for a bit yet but this IS the internet so why not have fun speculating in the meantime. How much would it take for you to get out of your TDI into a new 2016? You will only have the option of a Volkswagen but would not have to get another TDI, you could get a GTI. You could but it and turn around and sell it or trade it in elsewhere but of course you would take a hit in "driving that new car off the lot depreciation" If you have a balance owned on your car it will transfer over too. How much would it take for you to do this above Blue Book/ACV (Actual Cash Value) ? $2,000? $5,000, $10,000, only would consider an even up for the same car (and an Audi TT RS thrown in for aggravation for the Vortex crowd)?

What would it take?

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
People are sniffing the bait but not taking it..so I will start.

My 2010's last payment goes in the mail this week. So I will be free and clear..NO CAR PAYMENT! Thats real nice. Even though the car has 127K on on..no payments is nice. What would it be worth for me to get into a payment. My car is worth maybe $7-8K (just a guess haven't even looked) so $5K on top of that, I would still be financing $15K plus but I will be starting with zero miles and quite frankly be in a car that I might not have chosen as a first choice, I wold choose a '2016 Outback. So it is a question I am not even sure I can answer myself, I was just hoping it would create an interesting conversation until this gets sorted out.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
I think my golf is in the 8-9k range of value with 126k miles; the car is nearly fully depreciated so I'd need 10k on top of book value to get out of it. The amount of money I save on fuel and maintenance yearly and the longevity of the vehicle need to be accounted for along with the hassle of finding another ride and my time. So 18-19k and I'd consider it; there isn't really another car that stands out that I'd consider.

The new TDI are getting more complicated; I'd have to get an older TDI I guess or just get a BRZ/FRS/WRX and say goodbye to my MPG saved. Problem is I really can't decide on a new car, if I did go BRZ/FRS I'd be putting 8k+ into a turbo kit, clutch, wheels/tires, and driveshaft. The WRX would probably be fine stock or tuned stage 2. Any vehicle would be used 30k or less miles; I refuse to pay new car tax.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I don't see that happening, but If they gave me fair market value, I'd be out of my car tomorrow. As for another VW...the fourth time is the charm for me. I would move on to a Honda Accord (what I should have gotten this time around).

K_ersk

TDI
2013 Jetta
Considering my 2013 just rolled onto 25,000 miles it'd take a fair amount of cash to buy me out. I still owe 16/17k so id expect at least that plus a couple extra grand to start me out in a new GTI (if I hadda stay VW) but if I had the option to switch. I'd go back to the bimmer world, VW just reached the level of luxury BMW was at in 1998 (aside from a few electronics here and there)

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Considering my 2013 just rolled onto 25,000 miles it'd take a fair amount of cash to buy me out. I still owe 16/17k so id expect at least that plus a couple extra grand to start me out in a new GTI (if I hadda stay VW) but if I had the option to switch. I'd go back to the bimmer world, VW just reached the level of luxury BMW was at in 1998 (aside from a few electronics here and there)
I'm in roughly the same boat and that's what amuses me about this hypothetical proposal. Sure...they'll give you a few bucks (on paper) to make the idea of getting into a new GTI more palatable, but they'll in turn charge you full MSRP for said GTI. Net gain for them.

K_ersk

TDI
2013 Jetta
I'm in roughly the same boat and that's what amuses me about this hypothetical proposal. Sure...they'll give you a few bucks (on paper) to make the idea of getting into a new GTI more palatable, but they'll in turn charge you full MSRP for said GTI. Net gain for them.
Very true
Leaves us in a tough spot.
I'm definitely gonna hold off as long as possible on a buy out or the fix they purpose. Who knows maybe our cars will be worth more in the long run. But not looking forward to the emission equipment troubles if they do find a software fix.
If DPFs n turbos fail easily at 100k we might not make it to 50k before dealing with a major replacement.
VW ****ed us properly on this one. Goddamn savages

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Very true
Leaves us in a tough spot.
I'm definitely gonna hold off as long as possible on a buy out or the fix they purpose. Who knows maybe our cars will be worth more in the long run. But not looking forward to the emission equipment troubles if they do find a software fix.
If DPFs n turbos fail easily at 100k we might not make it to 50k before dealing with a major replacement.
VW ****ed us properly on this one. Goddamn savages
Yup. Same here. It's not an immediate concern for me (I don't live in a county that requires emissions testing at the moment), but I will be moving to an emissions testing area soon..so I'll have to address any ECU fix:rolleyes: sooner or later.:mad:

I agree. At the end of the day, we might just get left with a car that gets ok fuel economy (after ECU fix), but isn't particularly economical to operate because: diesel fuel is more expense than gas, maintenance is more expensive (i.e. more frequent fuel filter changes vs. gassers), glaring mechanical issues (that you mentioned), etc.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
If I got maybe $1000 cash/fuel card for lower mpg and an extended emissions warrenty/longer turbo warrenty....turbo's fail about 7-8 times as often in higher flow egr trucks (extra heat)....lasting maybe 100,000 miles as opposed to 700,000 or more... think I might be happy....still sucks if the egr volume is boosted...

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
P.S.
I guess the honeymoon is over for my love of VW...

Anybody care to speculate that a few months ago when VW de-emphisised tdi cars, they knew this was coming?! I bet....

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Perhaps before we make grandiose pronouncements and condemn VW, maybe we should lighten up a bit. I'm guessing that not everyone at VW is evil and that the majority of employees had no idea.

Then perhaps we should see the humorous side and the somewhat pathetic. Some genius or group of such at VW came up with the idea to circumvent the rules. I tend to think this was done on the QT and was very likely rewarded without upper management knowing how it was done. The pathetic part is that anyone genius enough to write the code in question should have been genius enough to hide any trace of what had been done. Obviously not the case here.

As to our TDI's? It's really too early to get our shorts in a wad. If this be a major problem not easily remedied, or a remedy that robs us of the performance and the economy we paid for, then VW is going to be on the hook to make us whole. Since VW has admitted to having avoided regulations the last thing they need to add to their woes is endless litigation.

If merely a change in coding with no loss of performance, then I see VW doing the patch and extending our warranty to cover any possible future problems. Otherwise they'll be hit with lawsuit after lawsuit whether deserved or not. This would be more of a corporate nightmare then I can imagine.

If the patch involves any kind of loss in economy or performance, then Katie bar the door! VW will have to either voluntarily step up to make things right, or they'll be forced to do so. Either avenue will be expensive but the latter is not the one a sane company would pursue.

I'd guess that sooner than later we'll discover the real character of VW. They already are aware that they've been caught with their pants down and they have to know that any attempt to weasel out will be futile. Much better to step up and take the hit now. Make sure that TDI owners are treated generously enough that we remain loyal customers. Make sure the world is aware of a company with both honesty and character. Much better they admit and correct than deny and obfuscate.

Patience fellow TDIers. Let this play out for just a bit.

balocco211

TDI
2005 Wolfsburg TDI JSW; 2010 Poblano TDI JSW
VWoA can issue me a new 2017 wagon or they can issue me a check for $37,000. That is a $500 cost savings to VWoA under the EPA fine of $37,500 per vehicle not in compliance and I will hand over the title.

VW got themselves into this mess, They can buy their way out. I like the way the car performs and any less, VWoA can buy it back or replace it.

I have lived through VW recalls.....I still don't like the way the 2005 TDI starts in the cold after the ceramic to steel glow plug non-sence.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This whole issue (not just this thread) makes me think of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". It really needs, in the first post (on the cover ), in great big text:
DON'T PANIC!

We really do not have a clue what the outcome of this whole fiasco will be. It will undoubtedly be a big headache (read: fine) for VW, but it remains to be seen how much of a difference it will make to us (as owners). It could be a big deal, or it could just be another recall we can ignore. VW has admitted to cheating on an EPA test and that is all we really know. Something will happen next but guessing about what it will be is mostly a waste of time. Until we know a lot more, I'm just going to continue to enjoy driving my car.

Have Fun!

Don

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I agree that people are getting way too worked up about this whole thing. Drive more, panic less. On the other hand, I would have a hard time saying no to either a new brz or mx-5.

Last edited:

CHenry

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 4-door (sold)
VW ought to want to do more than just make its car's owners "whole." They need to repair brand damage and restore owner trust in the company and brand. If any re-flash diminishes the value and performance of the vehicles below the specifications on new sale or resale, an alternative should be offered:

--buyback at 125% FMV, or

--trade-in credit at 200% FMV (up to replacement vehicle MSRP) toward any new VW car or SUV.

That would be a reasonable offer.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Gentlemen,

I had a turbo go bad on my '13 Passat. VW replaced the car with a '14 with no charge for the 14k miles I drove the '13. While not everyone has been treated so well, I was!

This new issue is actually more serious for VW than some failed turbos. Big Brother is going to be in their shorts no matter what. VW has it's sights set on becoming the biggest car maker in the world. It also has its reputation to consider. Perhaps worst case would be litigation in staggering numbers. VW execs must be having nightmares.

Might I suggest once again that we be patient? It does no good to postulate or throw out numbers when we don't even truthfully know anything other than that someone at VW wrote some code that allowed circumvention of US smog rules.

We'll know soon enough whether a big deal or a ho hum. If the former, then VW may well be on the hook in a big way as we'll have every right to expect fair compensation for the damages incurred. If the latter, then we already seem to be mistakenly making a huge deal of what might well turn out to be nothing.

Patience. Your TDI runs today just as well as it did yesterday. Right now VW has a problem. You don't. And if VW is anywhere as smart as I believe they are, then they'll address the problem properly and fairly. Anything less would be suicide.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
This whole issue (not just this thread) makes me think of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". It really needs, in the first post (on the cover ), in great big text:
DON'T PANIC!
Fixed it for ya....you forgot to use "large, friendly letters"

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Fun hypothesis: We're talking NOx emissions higher than even 1970s VW diesels.

What if they intentionally increased NOx emissions in an attempt to reduce PM emissions to save the DPF, on the CBEA and CJAA?

That could mean that a fix might cause massive DPF problems. ;)

aCab

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I like the newer Audi Allroad wagons. Id also love a Golf R Variant (wagon) that they get in Europe. What Id really like to do though its get an 80's Mercedes Turbo Diesel Wagon and just blow black smoke everywhere...you know, because I can.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm waiting for Volkswagen's response to this mess before I really start to worry about anything.

But, if we stay on the subject of the thread CHenry has a very good idea on the buy back IF it actually happens...
VW ought to want to do more than just make its car's owners "whole." They need to repair brand damage and restore owner trust in the company and brand. If any re-flash diminishes the value and performance of the vehicles below the specifications on new sale or resale, an alternative should be offered:

--trade-in credit at 200% FMV (up to replacement vehicle MSRP) toward any new VW car or SUV.

If that be the case I think I'd opt for a new 2016 GTI base model with performance package and lighting package. Not sure if I'd go dsg or manual. I'd have to drive both to see.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
We aren't worrying or panicking, we are just having some friendly conversation until we see what will happen.

Last edited:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
How about $5000 in credit towards future suggested maintenance. Or all suggested maintenance be covered as long as you own the car, non transferable?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Fun hypothesis: We're talking NOx emissions higher than even 1970s VW diesels.

What if they intentionally increased NOx emissions in an attempt to reduce PM emissions to save the DPF, on the CBEA and CJAA?

That could mean that a fix might cause massive DPF problems. ;)
Yup...
My thoughts...
They can meet emissions for a short time on the dyno, but for some reason, warrenty costs perhaps, VW elected to run different software when the car was not being tested...obviously they would only do this for a damm good reason...they knew the might get caught...BIG RISK...so the cost of NOT DOING IT MUST HAVE BEEN HUGE...they must have felt they had no other "real" option...
So lets say they update the software...
Cars loose a bit of pickup and HP due to higher flow egr....
They loose a bit of MPG cause the above, and more frequent regens....
Def usage goes up...and the DPF are now getting temperature cycled more than intended, so they fail at a higher rate....
So VW had a choice....fix it now...or hope they got lucky...
Guess what...they got caught...by a researcher in WV...
NOW they have to do the fix.. Hopefully an extended Warrenty IMO, and some $$$ to the owners cause the cars do not meet the specs of MPG and durability they paid for....
That is IMO what will happen...

XtreemLee

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon Wagon (bought back), 2006 Golf GLI
"this form must remain in place until a federal USED car buyers guide is affixed to this vehicle" I think that means repaired cars will have a salvage title?

Slothy

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDI

Agree with this. But all we can do is play the waiting game and see what happens. But to stay on topic if take a base GTI with dsg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
What will become of that "fair market value? I think it will have to be based in a table similar to what Subaru does with their "Guaranteed Trade In Program". I wouldn't do the buy-back for $125% but I might do the trade in at 200%.

MontrealTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI w/DSG
I know this is just speculation (and who knows what will happen up here in the Great White North) but before anyone gets excited over any cash payout, Honda owners that were awarded a settlement in 2009 for 2003-2008 Hybrid Civics getting lower mileage than advertised got $1000 on a new Honda or $500 dealer credit...

Status
Not open for further replies.