Wiring up "old style" glow plug relay to mk4 GTI

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
So I'm in the process of swapping my 2001 jetta TDI engine into a 2001Golf GTI.

I am manually wiring up the relay 109. Agentmaddock provided me his wiring diagram. The problem I ran into is that his diagram uses the "new style" glow plug relay. Which is located under the windshield beside the wiper motor. The new style glow plug relay is actually part of the TDI engine harness. (The old style glow plug harness is part of the cabin harness under the steering wheel)

So with the new style glow plug relay all that needs to be done is run the black/yellow wire from the relay 109 and that's it.

But the problem with the old style glow plug relay is that its part of the cabin harness. That means it needs to be cut out and also needs to be wires up manually.

Note: my glow plug harness is the old style 2 pin. That means only 2 wires are going from the harness into a connector. And the connector consists of 2 pins. (Explained below). So that means each pin gives power to 2 glow plugs. So pin 1 of the connector sends power to glow plugs 1 and 2. And pin 2 of the connector sends power to glow plugs 3 and 4.

There are 7 wires on the glow plug relay.

If I cut it out of the cabin harness am I able to wire it accordingly?

PIN 1 - purple/white wire - would go to PIN 2 on the beige connector (T6)

PIN 2 - red wire - would go to the fuse box that sits on the battery tray S163 (50amp)

PIN 3 - brown wire - Ground it somewhere since its a ground

PIN 4 - red/white wire - would go to the glow plug harness connector (the 2 PIN one)

PIN 5 - EMPTY

PIN 6 - red/white wire - would also go to to the glow plug harness connector (2 PIN one)

PIN 7 - green wire - would go to PIN 8 on the black connector (T10)

PIN 8 - EMPTY

PIN 9 - blue wire (black/yellow) - which is the trigger wire that runs into the relay 109

I am manually wiring up my relay 109 with a 6 way relay block. Shown like this:

http://www.princessauto.com/mobile/...tion+Fuse+and+Circuit+Panel&productID=8138224

And this is the way I'm wiring it:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387649

So pretty much I have to manually wire up my glow plug relay. Would the way I explained above work?

MrDave

Veteran Member
IIRC: post 2002 and pre2002 fire off of different pins on the ECU.
Post 2002 uses the 4-wire (1 for each glow plug)
Pre 2002 use the 2-wire (glow plugs are wired in pairs)

Both relays scan the resistance of the glow plugs and can report back to the ECU.

The European ECU uses a dumb relay, more like a 100 relay (high current)

I had lots of issues when I put my swap together.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1319650

With my ASV ECU (ALH ECU flashed to ASV by Rocketchip), I ended up going with the dumb (and cheap) relay. Pretty sure it's a 4 pin relay. I also put in a push button so I can trigger the relay myself, and put a 12V LED in parallel so I can see when the glow plugs are actually firing.

send me a PM with your email and I can forward you a PDF of the 2001 ALH glow plug wiring.

-Dave

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i use the old-old style GP relay in my mk1 and mk3 in my AHU cars. it is basically like a relay 100 (no gp monitoring, just a simple relay). i opened up a bunch of various relays, and they are essentially all the same afact. the ones with the same pin-out as relay 100, 103, 17/18 load reduction, and some others for gasser fuel pump. but relay 100 has the fattest contact. all the ones i opened up seem to have at least as large of a braided copper bridge as the newer GP relays and similar contact patch.

come spring my cars are going to have drastically different wiring ;) no VW specific relays. completely custom, and simple. currently they are my own version of "ce2"

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies but it doesn't answer what I'm asking here. If you take a look at the links I posted it is shown how I'm wiring up relay 109. And from relay 109 only one signal wire goes to the glow plug relay. That's means the rest of the glow plug relay has to be wired up. Which I posted above.
Would the wiring work in my case?

MrDave

Veteran Member
The 109 relay only provides a +12 to the trigger side of the glow plug relay.

The simplest thing to do is to install the dumb "100 relay", 12V constant power to the one of the big plugs, glow plugs to the other big plug.
+12 from 109 relay to the trigger, ECU to the other pin. (not sure which)

The GP relay triggers when the ECU grounds it's pin.

If you put a momentary switch in that grounds when you push it, connect that to the ECU side of the glow plug relay to trigger your glow plugs whenever you want.

If you use the 1999-2001 GP relay:
Pin 1: T6/2 to ECU T121/42
Pin 2: +12V power
pin 3: gnd
pin 4: 2 glow plugs
pin 5: no connection
pin 6: 2 glow plugs
pin 7: to T10e/8 to ECU pin T121/33
pin 8: no connection
pin 9: +12 from 109 relay

But that's what you said in the first post, isn't it?

-Dave

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
yes..you are pretty much right....just one question.

you said : Pin 2: +12V power

from how I traced that wire...it actually didn't just go to any 12v power...it went from the relay 108 INTO S163 fuse (the one that sits on top of the battery)

I looked up what this fuse is for:

it stated: fuel pump/glow plugs.

does this mean...or gassers the fuel pump receives 12v or a short period of time (to prime it) and for TDIs the glow plugs get 12v for a short period of time? (for glow plug warm up)

so that fuse is wired up the same way pretty much for gassers and diesels?

2nd
I will also be wiring up my in-tank lift pump...originally on the TDI jetta (donor) I had to wire it up manually....can I just throw in my intank lit pump...take out the vr6 pump and everything will be good to go?

or should I cut out the connector at the fuel pump in the tank...and wire it up manually just like I did it back in the jetta.

MrDave

Veteran Member
It goes to a fuse for safety. It has nothing to do with how long your glowplugs fire for.

yes..you are pretty much right....just one question.

you said : Pin 2: +12V power

from how I traced that wire...it actually didn't just go to any 12v power...it went from the relay 108 INTO S163 fuse (the one that sits on top of the battery)

I looked up what this fuse is for:

it stated: fuel pump/glow plugs.

does this mean...or gassers the fuel pump receives 12v or a short period of time (to prime it) and for TDIs the glow plugs get 12v for a short period of time? (for glow plug warm up)

so that fuse is wired up the same way pretty much for gassers and diesels?

2nd
I will also be wiring up my in-tank lift pump...originally on the TDI jetta (donor) I had to wire it up manually....can I just throw in my intank lit pump...take out the vr6 pump and everything will be good to go?

or should I cut out the connector at the fuel pump in the tank...and wire it up manually just like I did it back in the jetta.

V-dub tdi

TDI
00 Golf Tdi
Sorry to interject this into where probably doesn't belong but, recently I did a engine swap, I put a 03 tdi engine, ecu and gauge cluster into a 01 golf tdi body, the trouble I'm having is I don't know how to or what is needed to convert the glow plug harness from old style (2 wire) to new style (4 wire) or vise vesa to make it work?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
It requires a reflash of the ECU to go between the early and late style glow plug relays.

Samwubb

TDI
2000 Golf tdi
Hello! I have a question concerning TDI swaps. Im currently swapping my 2000 2.0L golf to TDI. I have ran into a problem with the connector located in the rain tray under the wipers. I am not swapping the entire wiring harness from the donor car but I do have everything else to make the swap work. The pins some of the connectors do not line up with the pins from the TDI motor. I figured out that the Blue connector is for the gas pedal and I am able to switch this one. The others on the other hand, Im having difficulty. Can anyone help me? Or even post a picture of the wiring diagram for this connection. Thanks!:cool:

Rnewcomb32

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Diagram

Any chance you could forward that wiring diagram my way?. Put a 2002 tdi into a 2001 2.0...trying to sort out the wiring & right now I’m not getting any juice to the glow plugs or the fuel pump.