North Central Indiana to Western Montana in May!

hugh2505

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Silver DSG
Just got the Jetta Feb 25th: Visiting our daughter near Helena, Montana in May. I did the math:

Fly:
Tickets: $900
Baggage Fee: $100
Rental Car: $350
Airport Food: $40
Airport Parking Fee: $60
Total: $1,450

Drive:
Miles Round Trip: 3,400
Estimated MPG: 44
Gallons Used: 76
Est Cost per Gallon: $3.90
Fuel Cost: $296.40
Road Food: $30.00
Oil Change when I get back: $60.00
Total: $386.40

It's a 24-25 hour trip by vehicle and almost nearly that flying when you consider drive to airport, layovers, etc.

My wife and I are looking forward to seeing the country. Heck, our trip takes us through the Black Hills!

I'll report back on mileage and thoughts when the trip is over. :)

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
hugh:

Sounds like a great trip. My family and I went out that way last year and had a really good time. Keep us all posted on how it works out for you!

Dan

rbobgovw

TDI
06jetta, 02golf, 96passat
Hugh. You might consider adding a few more costs to your total.
fuel might be more $ and car repair could happen. at least one night in a hotel would make that trip a lot easier on your body,( and the other drivers nearby if you fall asleep at the wheel). $30 might buy a lot of hot dogs and coffee, but in my experiance , it's nice to pull over and enjoy a hot meal along the way...Today I'm on day 7 of a 2800 mile trip, so far we are 1/2 day behind schedule ( had a wheel bearing go bad about 1400 miles into the trip ) souveneirs and sight seeing are eating a huge hole in my budget, everything seems to cost way too much these days. anyway , plan ahead then triple the original budget and you might have a good guess at the real costs... bob...

hugh2505

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Silver DSG
Thanks for the thoughts, rbobgovw. It's 24-25 hours driving, but we do plan on stopping for a rest once in a while. :) You are also correct that $30 is probably a tad low. A good meal or two will bring that figure up. I just bought the brand new Jetta in February, so I certainly hope there will be no repair bills (other than a flat tire).