1986 Jeep Cherokee Turbo Diesel

jheen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2012 TDI Sedan
I just purchased a 1986 Turbo Diesel with the 2.1L Renault motor and was wondering if there are any guru's out there who know much about the motors in these and would have any info on websites and or part suppliers for these? Mine has a spun bearing and I'm going to start tearing into it in the near future...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I have some experience with this engine . Not a bad design but this design takes much care keep running . It is underpoweredand designed to run 55 mph and not to really designed to be pushed up hills . Its' main design was improved mpgs over their gas powered counterpart , not by any means performance .

All diesel of the mid 80s were built to meet yearly increases in CAFE standards . Those increases were dropped in 1987 model year and all diesels were withdrawn that year from the US market .

If you do push the vehicle too hard it will burn the turbo & the engine up . This is a vehicle designed for a different time when the max speed limit was 55 mph . In the era of 52 hp non-turbodiesel Rabbits & Jettas with 0 to 60 mph times in the 15 to 20 sec. range .

Good luck , pm me if you have any specific questions .

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I find that surprising.

The French and Italians wouldn't drive anything gently.

When I had a Peugeot 305 with 65 bhp I drove it across Germany at 95mph. Basically I rammed the accelerator into the floor and left it there for three hours.

Is this the engine fitted to the Renault 21 ? There has also a 2.5 fitted on the Renault Safrane which I think was similar.

I wonder what it would cost to get an engine crated over from Europe ? It might work out cheaper and maybe a 2.5 would fit.

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
Viesel and TDIYardie are working on one in Tampa. Apparently Yardie found that parts for the engine are easily found at places that service Recreational Vehicles as their was a particular RV that also used that engine.

Good find. It's a shame that so many Jeeps with this engine have been allowed to go to waste.

Last I heard, Viesel was pondering selling the Jeep. The Engine was pulled apart but mostly complete and the Turbo still spun freely. Floor is rusted through. You might give him a PM and offer him a few bucks for it.

Last edited: