Scan codes?? and ebay OBD2/Vag-com?

VW97JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW97JettaTDI
Ok so first, is there a posting any where that i can determine what the codes i getr back mean?, i found some website but i dont know if its reliable for my 97 jetta tdi? Also !!!

I purchase a obd2/vag-com hook up a while ago from ebay and have had so much trouble trying to get it to read any car?? does any one know where to get the correct software and how these cables work??

Thanks!!

penclnck

VW97JettaTDI said:
how these cables work??
... not very well.;)

OK, source of info for DTCs... of course right here at TDI Club, just do a search for a given fault code and see what trails other members have blazed before you. I've had some good results doing this, and not so good results, but I've always gotten my moneys worth.

Ross Tech's wiki site is also filled to the brim with great info:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com

Pretty cut and dry to use.

I guess I should mention that Ross Tech also sponcers a forum over at VWVortex.com, and the Ross Tech crew is very active in that forum helping out it's customers. Can't say any eBay junk cable has ever supported anyone past payment.

My suggestion, jump over to Ross Tech's web site and look at this cable:

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCKII&Category_Code=VAGCOM

That cable will work with your car, works on VWs up to 2005. The price includes the full version of the software, newest version and you get free updates as they roll out. The eBay cables, if they work, use a version of the software that is several years old. The guys at Ross Tech put a lot back into the VW comminity than any other diagnostic vendor out there. You'll notice when the Ross Tech guys post, they are posting facts, not a sales pitch (which seems to be what I'm doing.....). Pretty much the law of the land is, Ross Tech's VCDS is the greatest.

'tis late, off to bed for me, busy day tomarrow.... I'm going to learn plumbing so I don't have to fork over $900.:mad:

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
E-Bay cable

VW97JettaTDI said:
Ok so first, is there a posting any where that i can determine what the codes i getr back mean?, i found some website but i dont know if its reliable for my 97 jetta tdi? Also !!!

I purchase a obd2/vag-com hook up a while ago from ebay and have had so much trouble trying to get it to read any car?? does any one know where to get the correct software and how these cables work??

Thanks!!
I will probably get flammed for saying this but you bought youself a piece of Chinese junk cable. Get the real cable from Ross-tech!
Ross-Tech: Home

VW97JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW97JettaTDI
is there anyway of getting the ebay one to work? and are the rosstech worth buying?? i mean u have a bunch of codes from a friends obd2 and i cant find what the codes mean anywhere!

penclnck

VW97JettaTDI said:
i have these codes
1246, 1617, 0322, 0380, 1161, 1441
Well, those are really any kind of fault code as you list them.

P1246
P1617 - Glow Plug Indicator Lamp Open/Short To Ground
P0322
P0380
P1161
P1441 - EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Valve Open/Short To Ground

Ok, 4 of the faults, when listed correctly as a P-code are on the wiki section of the Ross Tech web site, a great source of info as I had mentioned before in my post above.... please don't make me break out the pie charts and finger puppets to help explain this.:rolleyes:

If you want to waste your time getting an ebay cable to work, that is your business, but if you want something that works, and is made for your VW, give Ross Tech a phone call. They are very active in supporting people here at TDI Club, even non-customers... imagine how well they take care of paying customers. Ebay sellers will take the money and run, as proven by countless threads of "my ebay cable doesn't work".

dsieme01

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta Sedan
Everyone might hate this word here but their is a reason why lots of shops use Snap on scanners. They make some great scanners and diagnostic equipment Note they don't support the 09 models yet.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
dsieme01 said:
Everyone might hate this word here but their is a reason why lots of shops use Snap on scanners. They make some great scanners and diagnostic equipment Note they don't support the 09 models yet.
Shops that already own Snap On scanners are some of our best customers. :)

-Uwe-

penclnck

dsieme01 said:
I guess shops like paying more for software updates than what the top of the line HEX-USB+CAN from Ross Tech cost. What is the going cost of a Snap On Modis update these days?:rolleyes: $1,200 or so? Wow. That is just the update... How much are the software updates from Ross Tech?:D

Now I think it is only fair to point out that in truth, diag tools like the Snap On Modis do have thier place in the market.... when scanning something that isn't a VAG family car (VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda). VCDS would not be the best choice for a Ford with the airbag light on.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
dsieme01 said:

Hate? WTH? Snap-on makes good professional equipment. For use on a VW product (VW,Audi, etc.) Vag-com (VCDS) has them beat by a mile both on functionality and price. Snap-On isn't even in the race....;)

Professional shops use S/O, Professional VW shops use VCDS.:D

Bill

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Snap On is good for domestic cars,and that is it.
Vag-Com is 1 000 000 times better than Snap On, or any other scan tool.
If we talking about Euro cars (VW,MB,BMW etc) best after market tool is either "lunch x431" or "autoboss" but you will be limited on long coding on newer cars,switching from m/block to basic settings and many other options.
And plus Vag-Com has free download and Tech. support for $349. That is very good deal. One Obd2 scener coast $200-$300 dolars and you have only engine block,so no comments about it.It is more than fair price for Vag-Com.

VW97JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW97JettaTDI
i said screw all the drama and got a vag-com thursday! but it took seven days and i had payed for two day delivery hahaha! they said there was an error in the process! .. right

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
jetta said:
Snap On is good for domestic cars,and that is it.
Vag-Com is 1 000 000 times better than Snap On, or any other scan tool.
If we talking about Euro cars (VW,MB,BMW etc) best after market tool is either "lunch x431" or "autoboss" but you will be limited on long coding on newer cars,switching from m/block to basic settings and many other options.
And plus Vag-Com has free download and Tech. support for $349. That is very good deal. One Obd2 scener coast $200-$300 dolars and you have only engine block,so no comments about it.It is more than fair price for Vag-Com.
And besides, you don't see the president/owner of Snap-On replying directly to questions in forums such as this like you do with Uwe. For the uninitiated, that's Uwe, as in Uwe Ross, as in Ross-tech.com:rolleyes:;)

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
VW97JettaTDI said:
i said screw all the drama and got a vag-com thursday! but it took seven days and i had payed for two day delivery hahaha! they said there was an error in the process! .. right
E-mail me your invoice number so I can look into what went wrong there. My e-mail address is in my profile.

-Uwe-