Shifting Issues from Start

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I have a 15 GSW SE that has about 15k miles. Very occasional, after I start the car, the car won't let me shift to 1st or reverse from neutral unless I really force it. Anyone have a similar issue or know what could be the problem. This doesn't happen frequently. Usually I'll restart the car and the problem will go away.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Something isn't lining up, I'd take it in and have them look at it. I have not had that problem on my GSW and I almost have 60k on it. However, I know what you are talking about because I have occasionally experienced it on my 95 Mustang but its expected, it has a lot of hard miles on it :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have a 15 GSW SE that has about 15k miles. Very occasional, after I start the car, the car won't let me shift to 1st or reverse from neutral unless I really force it. Anyone have a similar issue or know what could be the problem. This doesn't happen frequently. Usually I'll restart the car and the problem will go away.
Sounds like a problem with the brake interlock. With the vehicle in neutral, you should hear the interlock solenoid functioning in the shift mechanism if you press and release the brake pedal. If it isn't working properly, it will be difficult to move out of neutral.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Are we talking about a manual transmission or a DSG transmission?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If it's a manual, there is a small white plastic piece in the linkage on the trans. called a slider. It popped off on my golf making first gear difficult to engage. Dieselgeek makes an improved slider piece. I chose to get the sigma six short shifter kit rather than the improved slider piece. The less plastic bits in the linkage the better, imo.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Rather than shutting it off, let up on the clutch, then step on it again and try to shift to first.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Rather than shutting it off, let up on the clutch, then step on it again and try to shift to first.
Yea I've tried that and it doesn't work. I noticed that this happens only after work. I'm assuming it might have to do something with it getting colder because I have no problems in the morning since the car is garaged. I'll check out what other people have been saying above.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Just an update, I had the whole entire transmission replaced by VW at around 17k miles. They said the shifting fork was warped and they found some shavings in the transmission fluid. The transmission replacement seemed to fix most of the problem though I still have issues where it the gears does not shift so smoothly.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Yea I've tried that and it doesn't work. I noticed that this happens only after work.

I'm assuming it might have to do something with it getting colder because I have no problems in the morning since the car is garaged.

I'll check out what other people have been saying above.
.......Hmmmmmmmmm

for the original owners benefit...

and for persons who are looking for a better used car....

IMHO

Garaged cars ARE worth more