Considering selling my 2006 Jetta TDI

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have really enjoyed this car, but I am considering selling it and buying a 335d.

I have done a lot of upgrades and typical maintenance items to this car and I usually will part out cars first before I sell them, but I feel like it is perfect at this point and don't really want to do that. I would rather sell it as is if I decide to sell it. Here is my list of upgrades.

PD140 Turbo installed in Jan 2017
Malone Stage 4 Turbo with 3 Bar map in Jan 2017
Bilsten B6 Shocks with new shock mounts Jan 2017
SBC Stage 2 Endurance SMF clutch Oct 2017
New Drivers side Door wire harness Oct 2017
New Headlights with new Phillips bulbs Dec 2017
VWR Sport Springs Dec 2017
LED Interior Bulbs Dec 2017
EGR Delete
New Headliner
Fatmat Hood liner
Cam replaced Jan 2015
Timing Belt Kit Jan 2015
Drivers side Axle Jan 2015
New Blower motor Jan 2015
New Thermostat Nov 2017
New Glow plugs and Harness May 2016
New Radiator Oct 2017
New Radio with Bluetooth
New shift knob and boot
GTI Steering Wheel
New brakes and rotors

I am sure that I am leaving a few things off, but as you can see I have done a lot to this car and I am probably crazy for considering selling it.

Last edited:

Newgene

Veteran Member
TDI
The wife drives a 328d, and I've had two VW TDI's. In my opinion, I would not sell it just to get another car, especially if you think it's perfect. Of course, I know what it's like just to want something new. My main reason is that every modification done to a used car is basically worth nothing in the mind of a used car buyer. They are going to go to kbb/nada, assume they can get a deal better than whatever is listed there, and then try to come up with some reason to pay you less.

With that said, I sold a heavily modified corvette. You basically get little to nothing for the mods and it sucks. If you are set on buying the car, you only live once. I would pull the trigger. In the end, I wouldn't get hung up on how much you would get for your old car. I would just do the same thing and be aggressive on what you're paying on the new BMW, and you'll make up anything hundred here, hundred there, that you may part with on the sale.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The wife drives a 328d, and I've had two VW TDI's. In my opinion, I would not sell it just to get another car, especially if you think it's perfect. Of course, I know what it's like just to want something new. My main reason is that every modification done to a used car is basically worth nothing in the mind of a used car buyer. They are going to go to kbb/nada, assume they can get a deal better than whatever is listed there, and then try to come up with some reason to pay you less.

With that said, I sold a heavily modified corvette. You basically get little to nothing for the mods and it sucks. If you are set on buying the car, you only live once. I would pull the trigger. In the end, I wouldn't get hung up on how much you would get for your old car. I would just do the same thing and be aggressive on what you're paying on the new BMW, and you'll make up anything hundred here, hundred there, that you may part with on the sale.
I really do like my Jetta, but what I am really interested in is the 335d with the M57 motor. BMW only made this motor in 09, 10 and 11 and you can pretty easily get 385whp and 590wtq and still get 40+ mpg with the stock turbos.

Don't get me wrong I like my Jetta and I would keep both if I didn't have 3 other cars, Z06, GTI and Jeep GC.

Yes, I realize that the parts that I have put on this car are not worth what I paid for them to someone else. However, I would never sell this car to a dealer and the value would be to another TDI enthusiast. Alternatively, I can part out the mods, but I would rather not do that.

Newgene

Veteran Member
TDI
You're in the same boat I was. I have rubicon and a Jetta, and the wife has a 328d, another jetta, and until last year, another rubicon. The supercharged vette was the one to go first (along with a couple harleys). I struggled with the vette. I wound up selling it to a racing guy. I even contemplated parting it out the same way. That's a whole different animal in itself.

I feel you should get more than a stock model in the same year, but you have the market right. It's more the enthusiast, as the average joe probably won't appreciate the mods like that group will. Best of luck with the sale.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Have you drove a 335d? I was all set to buy one after the buyback of my 2010 Golf, but I was disappointed by how cramped the car felt after test driving one.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Have you drove a 335d? I was all set to buy one after the buyback of my 2010 Golf, but I was disappointed by how cramped the car felt after test driving one.
Yes, I have driven one. Do you mean the seats or do you think that it is smaller than the Jetta? It has been a while since I have been in a 3 series but they seem to be about the same size as the Jetta. IMO the normal seats are not that great in the 3 series and you have to get the sport seats. I plan to buy a wholesale car through Manheim when I find the right one.

I might just keep my Jetta and sell my Jeep GC, but that is probably not practical.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
It felt cramped to me compared to the mk5 and mk6, probably due to it being rwd. Any little bit of space difference is noticable to me since I'm 6'8". I also really disliked the small trunk, along with most of the cars lacking the ability to fold the rear seat. For some reason, folding rear seats is not a standard option on the 335d.

Do you use the Jeep for towing or the cargo capacity?

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Entbuisiasts always ask so much for their cars. That’s an absolute ton of money for a high miles package 1. I know you’ve put a lot of money into the car but we all know most of the market won’t pay us a dime extra for mods and even repairs. That’s just the 12 year old used car market. But something is always worth what someone is willing to pay and hopefully a buyer looking for a car just like yours will find you.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't expect anybody on this board to buy it. People pay for clean cars that haven't been wrecked and have all of the records. I honestly can't imagine why anyone would want this car without an upgraded turbo and suspension. The car is way too slow with the stock turbo and the stock suspension is too soft.