Beetle engine won't turn over.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I have a picture but it's asking for a url address, huh?? Thanks jettawreck with me from the beginning.. This is uncharted waters for me. Will call Franko6 next.
Thanks,
I've never posted pics on this forum, but on the vintage snowmobile site I'm on, you have to post the pic to something like photobucket dot com
"copy" the address and then "paste" it in your post and it will display the pics. :confused:
Works there, anyways.

TNTDI

TDI
98 Jetta(sold), 99 Jetta, 2000 Beetle, 2002 golf
did I read vintage snowmobiles?? What are you looking for? I've got Skidoo's for sale

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
did I read vintage snowmobiles?? What are you looking for? I've got Skidoo's for sale
PM sent.;)
Humm, just noticed your location. Home of the greatest history of vintage racing. Nice!!
I'll have to check back later. I'm done at work now, time to commute home.
Marc

Last edited:

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
For what it is worth, if you are going to replace rods, bearings, rebuild head, etc., based on my engine rebuilding experience, and the risk involved that somewhere, somehow, someone may make a mistake, perhaps you should consider a used complete engine from a wrecking yard. This may also give you a warranty. I know everyone will tell you how easy it is to do a backyard rebuild, but sometimes, they do not turn out as planned.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
IMHO, You have far more risk getting a junk worn-out beat the heck motor of out of a junkyard than something going wrong with a simple rebuild.

Then you will have a like new engine vs. some unknown questionable one.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IMHO, You have far more risk getting a junk worn-out beat the heck motor of out of a junkyard than something going wrong with a simple rebuild.

Agree, also!! If the original engine in the '01 "wreck" hadn't had a broken block and unrepairable it would have been much less risk (and the risks turned into reality) rebuilding it completely. I would never buy a used engine again w/o seeing it in person, knowing/seeing what it came out of, and transporting it back home myself. Be VERY vary of engine resellers and/or salvage yards. Some are excellant, some intentionally deceptive. Speaking from experience in more than just TDIs.

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Rebuild?I

Well, first off, the recent junkyard engines that I have seen used by people in this forum seem to have turned out pretty good. Also, junkyards around here give generous warranties on their parts. Second, replacing a few parts in your engine in your backyard does quality for being called a "rebuild". Third, I would say the odds that a backyard major engine repair turns out a total success are at best 50-50. There is alot more to being a professional mechanic than people who are not would care to admit. There is more to a "rebuild" than just slapping a set of rings and a rod in, while laying in your driveway, drinking a beer, and then hitting the ignition. It is really amazing that I see people who have major concerns about using the proper fluids, approved by VW in their TDI. However, when it comes to a computer controller state of the art diesel engine, heck, anybody can work on it. And, someone with no engineering education, they can change the factory operating perimeters in the computer, as they know more the the engineers who created it. Absoulutely amazing how ignorant we have become, and in such a should period of time.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Well, first off, the recent junkyard engines that I have seen used by people in this forum seem to have turned out pretty good. Also, junkyards around here give generous warranties on their parts. Second, replacing a few parts in your engine in your backyard does quality for being called a "rebuild". Third, I would say the odds that a backyard major engine repair turns out a total success are at best 50-50. There is alot more to being a professional mechanic than people who are not would care to admit. There is more to a "rebuild" than just slapping a set of rings and a rod in, while laying in your driveway, drinking a beer, and then hitting the ignition. It is really amazing that I see people who have major concerns about using the proper fluids, approved by VW in their TDI. However, when it comes to a computer controller state of the art diesel engine, heck, anybody can work on it. And, someone with no engineering education, they can change the factory operating perimeters in the computer, as they know more the the engineers who created it. Absoulutely amazing how ignorant we have become, and in such a should period of time.
^obvious troll is obvious^

Factory operating "perimters". How does putting in a rebuild engine change the "perimeters" in the computer? Please, enlighten us.

Anyone who could rebuild an old 1.6 could rebuild a modern TDI properly, as long as they had the specs as outlined in the Bentley.

Piss on a used junkyard/tdiclub engine. I've seen the way some TDIclub members maintain their engines - it's often VERY POORLY.

Last edited:

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I would prefer not to lower myself to your level and resort to name calling. As you are a " vendor", it is obvious you are "trolling" in the forum for customers/business. Just looking after your own financial interest, eh?

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
I would prefer not to lower myself to your level and resort to name calling. As you are a " vendor", it is obvious you are "trolling" in the forum for customers/business. Just looking after your own financial interest, eh?
If it was about my financial interests, I'd be all about junkyard motors. Less work, less time. My interest in posting here is for the truth. And the truth is a junkyard engine makes sense for EVERYBODY but the customer, in terms of cost and quality.

And most of my business doesn't come from TDIclub - it comes from referrals.

And no, it's not name calling. I'm calling it as I see it. I don't believe your posts to be legitimate. I think you're purposely trolling.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
And the truth is a junkyard engine makes sense for EVERYBODY but the customer, in terms of cost and quality.
Agreed. You can do a lot for $1500-2500 it usually costs for a junkyard motor.

TNTDI

TDI
98 Jetta(sold), 99 Jetta, 2000 Beetle, 2002 golf
My thread got hijack. Seatman, thanks for asking. I'm looking for someone to clean and redue the head. Also waiting for suppliers to quote out parts. Need matching rod to #3 also. Then on to removing the crank. I needed a break from it anyway. I still can't figure out how to upload the damage pic.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My thread got hijack. Seatman, thanks for asking. I'm looking for someone to clean and redue the head. Also waiting for suppliers to quote out parts. Need matching rod to #3 also. Then on to removing the crank. I needed a break from it anyway. I still can't figure out how to upload the damage pic.
There's only a couple guys I would have refurbish a TDI head. Franko6 is the first guy that comes to mind and as was suggested I think it'sbest to call him and he can probably supply the single rod, too.
A guy needs a break from it sometimes for sure.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You upload the pics to somewhere like photobucket then copy the direct link into here. Use the second icon from the right in the reply box, delete what's in it and paste in your direct link.:)