Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Quote from site: Owners receive their Vehicle Value, plus an additional cash payment (“Owner Restitution”). The Owner Restitution payment is calculated at 20% of the Vehicle Value plus $2,986.73. The minimum Owner Restitution payment for any Class Member—to be paid on top of the Vehicle Value—will be $5,100.

This clearly says vehicle value, so what you calculate after mileage plus the extra cash.

I am fairly certain everyone getws cash on top of the buyback. ESPECIALLY since those specific words were in the deal they proposed to breyer. He aint gonna let them slink away without the buyback PLUS "Significant compensation"

AND: "If you choose the Buyback option, you will receive your car’s September 2015 Clean Trade Vehicle Value, plus a cash payment, ranging from a minimum of $5,100 to nearly $10,000, depending on your vehicle. "

So spreadsheet for actual buyback value PLUS however much extra you calculate for (Vehicles value * .2 PLUS $2986.00)
This is the only way I'd be even remotely happy with doing the Buyback with my 2015 Golf SE. Without that extra I'm losing a few thousand on this deal. It would be dumb of me to not take a "fix".

JCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, Platinum Gray/Art Gray
It says pretty clearly at the bottom of the mileage adjustment page that the minimal adjustment is going to be $5,100. So that's how I calculated mine. VW will pay me $19,037 to trade in my 2009 Sportwagen with 84K miles. If they give me a deal on a new gasser Golf wagon I will just trade for that.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
This is the only way I'd be even remotely happy with doing the Buyback with my 2015 Golf SE. Without that extra I'm losing a few thousand on this deal. It would be dumb of me to not take a "fix".

That's why I am confident this is how it's gonna be. They want to make the most people happy. I know they have to pay some INSANE amount of cash per percentage of owners who don't accept. They piss off 50% of the people then they pay like 5 billion more or something crazy.

They want this to work. Additionally Feinberg aint trying to ruin his record.

Quiksilver

TDI
2010 Black/Black Jetta Sedan
Not seeing how they will achieve their 85% compliance figure. I stand to get back just under $11k for my 2010 Jetta Sedan w/ 147,000 miles. This isn't much better than if I traded my car in just before the scandal broke.

The mileage penalty that I suffer basically eats up the "compensation" they have afforded me.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
And that's exactly why it's setup this way. To encourage owners of newer vehicles to get the fix.

mwy23

TDI
MKVI Golf
Seems like owners of newer vehicles are getting shafted compared to older ones.
I was afraid this might happen. People who own older vehicles have been deceived longer, which in turn means they have been hurt longer and so the government might have skewed compensation in this settlement toward those who have more damages (i.e. deceived longer). Just personal speculation.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I'm looking at a $4,590 mileage adjustment... But I believe the mileage adjustment goes against the "extra compensation"...which also has a floor of $5,100?

Please tell me I read that correctly!

Edit: pulled everything up on the work computer - easier to read vs phone!

Looks like net sell is $20,357 vs $6,552 fix.

My car is worth more to me than the $13.8k delta, so not likely to be selling it back.

Last edited:

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Just trying to see if I'm doing my math right here.

2012 Jetta 6 MT, 70k miles currently.
Buyback price after options and deductions $19,307
Mileage adjustment as of today for -$390
Final buyback value $18,917.
I owe $14,300

Buyback return $4617.

Now according to this paragraph on the proposed settlement, " Owners receive their Vehicle Value, plus an additional cash payment (“Owner Restitution”). The Owner Restitution payment is calculated at 20% of the Vehicle Value plus $2,986.73. The minimum Owner Restitution payment for any Class Member—to be paid on top of the Vehicle Value—will be $5,100"

20% of $18,917 is $3783.40 PLUS $2986.73 = $6770.13

$6770.13 + $4617 = $11387 is what I roughly plan on walking away with after getting the car loan paid off, depending on how much I drive from here until the final date. Not a bad deal.
no idea if that is true but if so that is a huge difference and my numbers are fairly close to yours

my buyback return after payoff would be approx $4,600

20% of the value (24,647) is $4,924.4 + 2,986.73 = $7,916.13 + my buyback after payoff of $4,600 = 12,516

if I managed to get that, or close, it would be a freaking no brainer.

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Not seeing how they will achieve their 85% compliance figure. I stand to get back just under $11k for my 2010 Jetta Sedan w/ 147,000 miles. This isn't much better than if I traded my car in just before the scandal broke.

The mileage penalty that I suffer basically eats up the "compensation" they have afforded me.
$11k was high retail for that model year with standard mileage IIRC

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
I think we are getting the extra though. It would be weird if not, more then just new owners would be in trouble. Several places they say we get buyback value plus extra cash.

Only trouble is this wording here: "Option 1:
Sell your car back to VW plus a cash payment for a combined total of:"

That combined number they give is white hot garbage. And makes no sense if they are including the money on top. That gives people nothing back in value. And makes no sense for those of us with loans. How can they know the combined number price if they dont know how much extra cash we get or if they need to pay over 100% to pay off the loan.

Quiksilver

TDI
2010 Black/Black Jetta Sedan
$11k was high retail for that model year with standard mileage IIRC
Sounds about right. I remember checking the value before this happened, and it was worth about $8,700 or so private party. This is why I believe the compensation is built in, my buyback figure pre-adjustment is $14,087.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
At the time of the buyback, does anyone think the VW and the dealers will have special deals to get us to buy a gasser VW?

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
For me, 2011 Jetta, 6MT with 90k mileage:

Buy back value: $17,057
Less (MT) (840)
Less (Mileage Adj 90k+) (1,740)
Final Buy Back Value $15,107

Seems reasonable. I'll take this cash and my 07 Tacoma Truck and get a 2016 Colorado Duramax Diesel, and wait for the 3.0 buyback/mod plan...

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh wait....maybe we don't get extra cash if buying back , oh ****. They said that everyone would get significant compensation though. This is Maddening.

cmeller

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I'm confused by the mileage adjustment tables (the language)... any thoughts would be helpful:

I have a 2010 JSW (bought in Fall '09) with 95K, DSG, and Sunroof

Here is how I'm reading the estimates and tables:

Base Buyback: $15,407
Sunroof: +$540
Pre-Mileage Totals: $15,947

Adjusted Mileage based on Sep'15: -$360

Would the total be $15,947 - 360 = $15,587
or
Would the total be $15,947 + ($5100-360) = $20,327 <- I'm assuming I wasn't suppose to subtract a negative number from $5100 to increase this even more..

The first number is close to the ball park estimate I was expecting, the second is well above my estimate. I'll be selling the car back either way and return to some boring reliable Honda or Toyota (or buy my dream Wrangler..but likely not) but I'm trying to understand roughly what to expect.

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just trying to see if I'm doing my math right here.

2012 Jetta 6 MT, 70k miles currently.
Buyback price after options and deductions $19,307
Mileage adjustment as of today for -$390
Final buyback value $18,917.
I owe $14,300

Buyback return $4617.

Now according to this paragraph on the proposed settlement, " Owners receive their Vehicle Value, plus an additional cash payment (“Owner Restitution”). The Owner Restitution payment is calculated at 20% of the Vehicle Value plus $2,986.73. The minimum Owner Restitution payment for any Class Member—to be paid on top of the Vehicle Value—will be $5,100"

20% of $18,917 is $3783.40 PLUS $2986.73 = $6770.13

$6770.13 + $4617 = $11387 is what I roughly plan on walking away with after getting the car loan paid off, depending on how much I drive from here until the final date. Not a bad deal.
I think you did that wrong- the $6770.13 is already calculated in the buyback price

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
This one line confuses everything else: "If you choose the Buyback option, you will receive your car’s September 2015 Clean Trade Vehicle Value, plus a cash payment, ranging from a minimum of $5,100 to nearly $10,000, depending on your vehicle." , do we or dont we get extra cash if we do a buyback.

I read we get the buyback value of the car plus the 20% of cars value plus that 2986 number in cash.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
The way I read it... all cash compensation is ALREADY calculated into the buyback amount listed on the charts.

If you choose the Buyback option, you will receive your car’s September 2015 Clean Trade Vehicle Value, plus a cash payment, ranging from a minimum of $5,100 to nearly $10,000, depending on your vehicle. If you choose the emissions modification option, you will receive a free modification plus the same cash payment. The range of total cash payments is summarized in the chart below.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
How can it be, my car would be worth nothing then......
It's looking like they can't fix the older vehicles so they're making this deal work better in their favor. Newer vehicles probably have a cheap and easy fix so they're trying to screw us over if we go with a buyback.

I was ready to be done with VW, but unfortunately I can't just lose out of a few thousand dollars. Unless something new shows up I'm going to have to go with the "fix".

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
no idea if that is true but if so that is a huge difference and my numbers are fairly close to yours
my buyback return after payoff would be approx $4,600
20% of the value (24,647) is $4,924.4 + 2,986.73 = $7,916.13 + my buyback after payoff of $4,600 = 12,516
if I managed to get that, or close, it would be a freaking no brainer.
I'm assuming the figure I got from the 1A attachment for my car is the RETAIL value of the car, not including the monetary compensation. According to the press release,

"Buyback option: Volkswagen must offer to buy back any affected 2.0 liter vehicle at their retail value as of September 2015"

Which sounds about right for RETAIL, trade in value would be significantly less

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
the restitution is definitely calculated into the buyback price....so if i let them buy back my car, they would give me something like $19787....but the "clean trade in value" of that car is actually $13,965 give or take...its the restitution that puts it up to 19k

i keep seeing newer model (2015) owners saying they are getting screwed, but i'm not really sure how

my issue is that they are using this trade-in value, which is i believe the lowest value. private sale would be better

Last edited:

Ramonbo89

TDI
2015 Jetta S
This may be a stupid question but anywho. I have a 14 Jetta S. My buyback with adjustments comes in at 23,989.

Now I have negative equity from a previous vehicle but I also have GAP insurance(yes I know it doesn't cover negative equity). Now my question is isn't this considered a breach of contract? And secondly if the EPA never approves a fix, wouldn't this be considered a total loss?

It my sound like I am trying to be a scammer but if this is going to turn out to be a **** show from VW. I would rather take the buyback without having to use any of the compensation money and put it towards something else.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm assuming the figure I got from the 1A attachment for my car is the RETAIL value of the car, not including the monetary compensation. According to the press release,

"Buyback option: Volkswagen must offer to buy back any affected 2.0 liter vehicle at their retail value as of September 2015"

Which sounds about right for RETAIL, trade in value would be significantly less

So that would mean the numbers on the table are just the vehicle, no extra compensation. Like I am saying that's what makes sense. VW can try to shaft us by they legally have to give us the retail value plus AT LEAST 5100, and if I subtract 5100 from the number I got on the table I am wayyyy below my retail value from Sept.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
the restitution is definitely calculated into the buyback price....so if i let them buy back my car, they would give me something like $19787....but the "clean trade in value" of that car is actually $13,965 give or take...its the restitution that puts it up to 19k

i keep seeing newer model (2015) owners saying they are getting screwed, but i'm not really sure how

my issue is that they are using this trade-in value, which is i believe the lowest value. private sale would be better

My car was bought at 32k. I have spent almost 3k on it. I have 30k miles on it, VW's proposed price to buy me out of my loan (Financed for them) is WAYY LESS (like 4k less) then what I have in the car.

So I get to pay them and get no extra money, they can go screw themselves.

Thesilverbullet

TDI
2004 Jetta 2012 Jetta
I have a question that I think everyone is overlooking. Has anyone considered the settlement as something that can be taxed? Take the below example:

Current Fair market value of car $15,000
2015 book price (pre scandal) $20,000
Compensation from VW $5,100
Total buyback check $25,100 (2015 value plus + compensation)
Net benefit of buyback i.e income $10,100 (Buyback - current FMV)
Personal Federal tax rate 20% (picked an easy number)
Federal tax owed $2,020 ($10,100 times 20%)

Could you end up owing $2,020 in Federal taxes next April in this example? Also could be state of local income taxes depending on where you live. Never mind the sales tax paid on the original purchase and the potential sales tax paid on buying a replacement car.

I am not a tax guy but it is something I would want to know before making a decision. Hopefully someone can clarify if this would be an issue. The entire compensation could end up being taxes for some......

JCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, Platinum Gray/Art Gray
If I follow this exactly, then it seems my buyback price is $19K. If I ignore it, and just do the standard mileage adjustment, then its just below $15K. Big difference so I guess this will be cleared up by next month.

Further Adjustment
(applies to both Buyback and Modification)
If the Modification amount from (5) above is less than $5,100:
a. Subtract the Modification amount from (5) from $5,100.
b. For Buyback: Add the result from (a) to the number from (5) above.
This is your Mileage‐Adjusted Buyback Amount.
c. For Modification: Add the result from (a) to the number from (5) above.
This is your Mileage‐Adjusted Modification Amount.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
It says pretty clearly at the bottom of the mileage adjustment page that the minimal adjustment is going to be $5,100. So that's how I calculated mine. VW will pay me $19,037 to trade in my 2009 Sportwagen with 84K miles. If they give me a deal on a new gasser Golf wagon I will just trade for that.
I think that you may have that wrong. It says
"If the modification amount from (5) is less than $5,100, see​
Further Adjustment at the end of this table. (This also applies to Buyback).

Otherwise, the result from (5) is your Mileage
Adjusted Buyback or Modification Amount."

I believe that means that your buyback value (first chart based off model year/options) must be at least $5100 after you take the mileage adjustment.

So, as I understand it, mine would be 19,007ish (buyback value) + $930 (mileage adjustment. Adj miles 45K-50K) for $19,937. The $5100 is a minimum. My example is above the min. The "owner restitution" is built into the buyback value.

This is the way that I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.