01m transmission rebuilders?

mike961734

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
well it happened, the 01m blew up.
worst part is, I bought the golf was because the trans was just rebuilt in 09

Now I am in need of a new one or some one to rebuild my current one.
preferably i need some one in central ohio or in cleveland*. i've called johns auto in marysville, he says he's done with the company he used to work with (auto sports unlimited in Michigan) and doesn't know of any reliable rebuilders besides dealers.

I've spent the better part of my Sunday looking for places that could do this close to home but I am stumped, and now I figure its time to ask you guys for advice/help. yes the manual swap would be ideal but i don't have time for that...

* why columbus & cleveland? car broke driving from youngstown to columbus, local shop near where i broke down drives to columbus on wednesdays for the auto auctions and could tow my car.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
CoolAirVW is the guy you want to contact. He could probably recommend someone.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
what makes you think you need trans rebuilt?

Maybe it just needs a solenoid or a sensor?

Have someone scan the TCM for trouble codes with vag-com.

Note: For folks who are not here in Kansas city, I do NOT EVER recommend ANYONE for replacement transmissions. How would I know if someone was good or not?

mike961734

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
hmn, maybe its not as bad as I thought.

as for the "blew up" definition -
> driving up a hill
> steep hill, give it more gas
> transmission downshifts
> engine revs & I loose all forward gears except 1st
> limp it to a parking lot
> reverse disappears along with 1st now
> when tow truck comes neutral gear is now "park"

I don't know much about automatics. the only transmission I've worked on is a beat-up Eaton ten speed for class 8 trucks while in school. what do you guys think?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The diff may have come apart. Slide the VSS out of the top of the diff housing and see if there is a bunch of metal chunks dripping off of it.

mike961734

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
would if I could, the car is about two hours from where i am currently getting it shipped home from the shop there costs about 300 dollars, he offered to install the new trans for about 3500, and runs a good shop. all I am really trying to decide now is weather to have him fix it or bring in into town to someone who can scan the damn thing for trouble codes.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
$3500? What are they going to replace in the transmission, what warranty is being offered?
I asked my mechanic here in Canada who works on VW's, said a rebuild with one years warranty is $2000CDN.
But then again, if the guy is really good, and gives like 3 year warranty on the transmission, it's worth it.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
For what its worth, my buddy (against my better judgement) got one from that auto sports place in Michigan. It has been about year and is still going. I think it was just north of 2 grand installed.

I was trying to get him to do a 5 speed swap but he wouldn't do it. I probably should have let him drive my car so he knew what he was missing.

oilhammer

TDI
That is total, the part for the ALH engine it is about $3800+ tax. 01M-300-032-GX. Actually it is a little less for the labor, total is around $4400, sorry.

Edit: just checked current price is $3421.59 VW list price for the GX (they have come down!).

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Edit: just checked current price is $3421.59 VW list price for the GX (they have come down!).
That is shocking. Are these brand new units?

If so, is there ever going to be a point where the 01M is just plain no longer available? I mean, they couldn't have built that many extras.

oilhammer

TDI
That is shocking. Are these brand new units?

If so, is there ever going to be a point where the 01M is just plain no longer available? I mean, they couldn't have built that many extras.

Actually, 5 of the last 6 01Ms I got were indeed brand new, despite being tagged with the 'X' reman part number.

This is actually quite common, as they run out of rebuildable cores. Before too long, VW will have a cheap blowout on these to clean the warehouse out, probably sell them for $500, and THEN they will be NLA forever. They have already done so with the 095 and 096 as well as the early 01Ms used in the A3s, in addition to many other transmissions and engines.

I was able to buy a BRAND NEW ALH shortblock for $600! :D

mike961734

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
sorry for the delay, school's been keeping me busy with finals.

transmission was replaced by the mechanic that towed me, did a good job only charged me $3200 (including labor) transmission is a rebuild with a three year warranty.

only one problem me and the mechanic couldn't seem to fix. The Dash displays the proper gear but the shifter is out of adjustment (dash reads park at the reverse mark on shifter). I tried adjusting it as my bently manual instructed, but there is no more slack in the cable. I still have park, reverse, neutral, and drive so I can get around fine. but its driving me nuts that I cant find any solution.

maybe i just stink at searching forums :confused: