Golf TDI 1.9 transmission problems

lindimartin

TDI
Golf 2000 tdi 1.9
Hi. I am new to this website and have not done any searches regarding my problems. I bought this car with 11k on the engine. Its an automatic. I dont know if it was in an accident before as the hood and the lights are aftermarket. I took it to a guy to replace the transmission fluid because the other mechanic that did my timing belt for $1200:eek: told me that the fluid looked dirty. After changing the fluid, the mechanic obviously did not check the gasket which failed, losing all the tranny fluid.... So I drove the car while all the tranny fluid was coming out and then the car refused to shift in to gear. He took the vehicle back and replaced fluid. After this, the car was not engaging in to drive from park right away as it had done before... It would hesitate and then lurch in to gear. Just recently the transmission decided to not go in to third and fourth gears and now I am thinking that the tranny is toast. My mechanic told me that the fluid levels were ao.k and that the fluid smelled burnt. I was thinking of having the transmission fluid flushed and pressurised out of the tranny and refilled to see if it would prolong the life of the transmission at all.

I was advised that it may be a valve body issue and that would cost $2000 to repair. It is not garunteed however. Does anyone know if there is any point in finding a used tranny to replace? My mechanic will not replace a used part and will only replace a part garunteed by VW.

Any help would be so greatly apreciated. I am sad and frustrated that I bought this car at above blue book value from the sharks at 4x4 auto in Cortez.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Too many posts

You have posted this 3 times so far that I have counted!:eek: Please post once only!:(