Turbo replaced, now engine smokes

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 6spd, 2010, Blue
Turbo went out on my 2010 Jetta TDI. Had it replaced by my regular mechanic.
The car runs fine but I immediately noticed burnt diesel fumes in the cab and my kids with better hearing say they hear an exhaust leak. I occasionally see a small puff of white smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine, but during the first regen cycle since the turbo replacement it was puking large amounts of burnt diesel smoke (white) from the same area. I took it back to my mechanic and the shop owner and the mechanic that worked on it said they did smell and hear a slight leak (no puking) but that it’s probably the EGR connection and they would have to charge me 5 hours of labor if when they disassemble the necessary parts to investigate they discover that it’s not their fault. I’m currently in a quandary and am asking for educated opinions/ideas. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If it wasn't doing it before they replaced the turbo, chances are pretty good that they pooched something.

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
If it wasn't doing it before they replaced the turbo, chances are pretty good that they pooched something.
Pretty much what I'm thinking. Trying to be fair about it though. If there's a chance that something else could be the problem, I don't want to be hammering my mechanic. He's always treated me fair. Can't live with the car the way it is though. Thanks.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
when driving and a stop at traffic light then when youre speed up you have a blue puff of smoke in the back ? so yes its a leaking turbine seal.

I had that with one turbo with broken oil turbine seal every time at idle it drips oil in exhaust when take off it give a blue smoke.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
If the old one blew the exhaust will be full of oil for maybe 15mins of hard driving!

You get some funny looks when going down the road ignoring all the people trying to tell you that the car has a problem! haha

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your responses. The smoke is not coming from the tail pipe. It's coming from an apparent leak under the hood, and is barely noticeable during normal operation (except for the odor), but during regen it was unbearable. Is there any way to induce regen so I can reproduce the problem for my mechanic?

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Was hoping someone would have an idea of where a logical leak (fumes into cabin) would be after a turbo install. Tired of my stinky car.

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Might be a broken egr pipe , pretty common for them to break.
This is what I'm looking for VDUB TECH. So is it fair to blame the mechanic or is it just something they should have caught when they were replacing the turbo? Or, is it impossible to know? I'm trying to be fair. Thanks for the opinion.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
This is what I'm looking for VDUB TECH. So is it fair to blame the mechanic or is it just something they should have caught when they were replacing the turbo? Or, is it impossible to know? I'm trying to be fair. Thanks for the opinion.
It really comes down to your needing to get it resolved. You're trying to estimate how the shop will react before engaging in any discussion with them, which would suggest that you might not have confidence in them. If you don't have confidence in them then you might consider finding someone else at this point. But, it's really not fair to anyone that can make a mistake and IS willing to rectify their mistake (w/o cost). Perhaps approach them with exactly what you know, and without accusations; see what their reaction is. Might solicit worst-case scenario, the costs: here is where info from the TDI community can help, give you ideas on what is most likely the cause.

I'd attempt to look for the leak (should be signs, if the sound itself doesn't give its position away). If you can tell folks here where you found it then people here can probably tell you whether this is caused by the repair work or whether it's coincidental.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Was hoping someone would have an idea of where a logical leak (fumes into cabin) would be after a turbo install. Tired of my stinky car.
Start with where the downpipe connects with the turbo. Then check the manifold. I would then check the EGR and other emissions devices.

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
I value the input I get from this forum. I have been in constant contact with the shop. I'm taking it back when I have a chance next week. I live 30 miles away and am moving households, so it's no easy deal. The agreement is that they will take it apart and look for the leak. If it's related to the turbo install it's on them, but if it's something else it's on me. I will post the result. Thanks again all of you.

yellowted

TDI
2009 jetta cr, 2016 q5
I am too currently having a similar problem. I actually did the turbo myself and have all ready tightened the clamp from the turbo to the down/dpf and it seemed to not want to get too tight. I did not change this when i did the swap. i have ordered a new one and just waiting for it to change. i truly hope the manifold has nothing to do with it because i can not stress how much of a pain this was... next time removing the motor will be a ton easier.

andrew

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI - Finally had a chance to get my car back to my mechanics. Problem identified as leaky exhaust manifold gasket. It is back in the shop getting a new one.

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
Did the leaky exhaust manifold gasket fix the issue??

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Pesky problem diagnosed and fixed. It was the exhaust manifold gasket. Good to have my car back and fully operational. Rented a Mitsubishi Mirage for a few days as a replacement....NEVER AGAIN!