My newly designed TDI specific ARP Stud kit Install

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I ordered a set of ARP studs yesterday. I am going to replace my stock head bolts before I have a problem.

I had a strange occurance in Death Valley in Dec 09. I was passing a car down a grade, and I saw white smoke in my rearview mirror.

Later that day, still in the park, more white smoke pouring out the exhaust. The cabin smelled of anti-freeze, that sweet smell.

I pulled over and opened the hood expecting to see coolant all over the engine bay. Nothing! Dry as a bone and colant level in the coolant tank was normal. So, I ging with the ARP studs for a little insurance.

Now granted, when I returned home, a guru noticed my lower turbo hose wasn't clamped on, the clamp was dangling loose. The other guru who did a TB kit install, forgot to clamp the hose.

Anyhow, with future mods, I have decided to install the ARP head studs now, before I have new injectors installed.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Nice writeup. I installed the TDI specific ARP studs this past August to see if they would help with a coolant leak. They have significantly slowed the leak, however, there is still a minimal amount of coolant loss.

I like the idea of re-torquing after driving the vehicle, even though it isn't called for in the installation directions. I'll plan to do that this weekend. I'm curious, has anybody tried torquing these a few lbs higher than the 125 lbs recommended by the manufacturer?

Dieselfever78

TDI
01 Golf 1.9 TDi 5 speed
The one at a time method has been used for years now on diesel trucks, most specifically 7.3L PowerStrokes. Some say to do it in ascending sequence, some do it in descending order, and some do it however. I haven't heard of any problems from not doing it in any specific order.

There are also several opinions on what torque sequence to use and all of them seem to work the same.

-Michael

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Nice writeup. I installed the TDI specific ARP studs this past August to see if they would help with a coolant leak. They have significantly slowed the leak, however, there is still a minimal amount of coolant loss.

I like the idea of re-torquing after driving the vehicle, even though it isn't called for in the installation directions. I'll plan to do that this weekend. I'm curious, has anybody tried torquing these a few lbs higher than the 125 lbs recommended by the manufacturer?
Pls post up an update on how re-torquing them affects your leak.

Eck

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 2003 reflex silver 2dr, 5 speed
I installed a set of Raceware studs propably 6 or so years ago in my now sold ALH. They have them specifically for TDI engines too. At least I removed the head and installed a 3 hole gasket to lower the boost.
The outcome was the same though, ARL or Raceware is propably very much the same result. Nice write up.
My write up is probably buried somewhere in these files, including the bigger turbo and injectors all the goodies.