tubular exhaust manifold: 4-1 vs 4-2-1

daniel.

Vendor
TDI
335d : VW Golf 7 CR150+, VW lupo 1.9TDI, VW Golf 1.9TDI ALH
@JST - The tubular manifold is on my car from the beginning... One log manifold can spool like my tubular, but in the high RPM range, the log manifol would be the worst scenario.. IMO

I assume you'll test the both manifolds on a 2056vk, correct?

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.2 jtd 180 AT8
@JST - The tubular manifold is on my car from the beginning... One log manifold can spool like my tubular, but in the high RPM range, the log manifol would be the worst scenario.. IMO

I assume you'll test the both manifolds on a 2056vk, correct?
I am convinced the tubular will be better for flow/ highend power.
The main question is what happens with the lowend. I wouldn't be suprised if that will be worse with the tubular.

I test both manifolds on a GTB2056v (factory vacuum operated). Wheel spec is the same as Volvo gtb2056vl.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
The difference low end from the extra volume would be so minimal IMO that the turbo vanes closing a touch more would overcome any 'lag' created by the manifold.

good merge is where the power is on these!

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
That's why I commented on this is to see which one would be better for bottom end power. im making a new off-road vehicles with another tdi.

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
The difference low end from the extra volume would be so minimal IMO that the turbo vanes closing a touch more would overcome any 'lag' created by the manifold.

Thanks for that comment Ryan, that makes sense.
I am convinced the merge collector is properly made, I'll upload some more detailed photos when I receive it.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP

Actually thats not really the case I think, at the very ends of the vane position turbine efficiency is tapering off steep. Manifold volume acts like a spring, not a perfect spring unfortuately so its more like a spring/damper in reality, its like you're running in loose sand on a beach.

The merge angle is just a part of the system. What counts is the pressure drop from port to turbine entry. Less is more (, and the same applies to volume). There is no reason a well designed and ported log manifold would perform worse than a tubular one. All state op the art production turbos cars have short very compact manifolds as an attempt to minimise energy losses. They're making over 200 hp per liter with peak torque available below 2000 rpm so without vgt turbines. No need to reinvent the wheel.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I totally agree but designing, testing and making a cast log manifold would take more work and be more expensive than tubular!

Road cars we make them as short as possible with decent merge, race cars Long radius bends and a shallow merge angle, always seems to work.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
So this thread has got me curious as to just how much volume difference there is between my 4into1 tubing manifold and a typical cast log manifold. So I just clamped a plate over the turbo flange on mine and filled it with water from a graduated flask. It took exactly 1060 cc of water to fill it flush to the top of the cylinder head flange. Anyone know the volume of their cast log manifold for comparison? Unfortunately I don't have a cast manifold here to measure.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Having one of these manifolds was as good as it gets !

Low internal volume,Keeps heat in,Flows very well.I almost wish I had of bought one of these while they were still around.

I've ran over 400 BHP through the manifold pictured below,

Fiodor

TDI
alh
This collector who according to you will be the best for the rpm of the upper and the lower rpm who?

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Fiodor are you asking me ? I'm only using the manifold in the bottom picture as I have no room for anything else.Its far from ideal however it does the job.The manifold in the top picture is far better for all rpm range.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Andy do you happen to have one of those not bolted to an engine, that you could easily measure the volume on?

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Hay JST have you got any photos and/or dinos yet?
Nope, the guy that makes the manifold is very busy atm, so it still needs to be finished.

So this thread has got me curious as to just how much volume difference there is between my 4into1 tubing manifold and a typical cast log manifold. So I just clamped a plate over the turbo flange on mine and filled it with water from a graduated flask. It took exactly 1060 cc of water to fill it flush to the top of the cylinder head flange. Anyone know the volume of their cast log manifold for comparison? Unfortunately I don't have a cast manifold here to measure.
Good point, my bet is the volume of a OEM manifold is less than half of a tubular. I'll measure it today.

b5converison

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 S , 2.0 PD 16v, 2060VKLR 280bhp & 550nm conservative ..
same has edc16 dynamic SOi .. but these are not easy to tune ..
so I have disabled mine ..

Delayed SOI and lower railpressure helps till a certain level. Edc17 has a function to delay soi based on rpm and boost governor error

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Just measured the volume of the OEM JTD manifold, it's about 570 cc.
This is how it looks:

Last edited:

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
That manifold looks like it should flow pretty decent. Seems you were pretty much spot on with your guess on the volume difference.

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
That manifold looks like it should flow pretty decent. Seems you were pretty much spot on with your guess on the volume difference.
OEM design looks indeed not that bad. Areas of improvement are the merge section and outlet. The outlet is enlarged but still a few mm's smaller than the GTB turbine intake. Making it larger would make the wall thickness too thin for my liking.

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I know equal length header tubes are nice for fuel economy and back presser on a gas motor it be nice to see if the ome are or not (by looking I say not). It also helps power nicely with equal lengths ( generally +10hp, +15 pownds of torque) over truck headers.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Andy do you happen to have one of those not bolted to an engine, that you could easily measure the volume on?
I'll see If I can measure that for the log manifold.I'm using that manifold for high horsepower so volume isn't important.Keeping the heat in is the most important factor when comparing to a tubular manifold that "flowed well" in my opinion.Lost heat is just as bad or worse than having unnecessary volume I would think.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Makes sense. I wonder how stainless tubing with ceramic coating compares to cast for heat loss. Not very scientific, but just going by how much heat I feel radiating from the manifold when working close to it with the boat running, I would guess my ceramic coated tubing manifold loses less heat the the stock cast one did. I know stainless does conduct less heat than mild steel or cast iron, but the difference in wall thickness will affect it as well.

mbalmr

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
From manifolds I've had experience with a cast iron always holds in heat better than a tubular header. Ive seen headers coated and wrapped in an effort to keep heat in but its never as good as a cast iron version mostly due to the thickness of the material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I just heared it is finally finished.
This is how it looks:

Last edited:

JST

Veteran Member
TDI
There pridy. Nice block hugers. When are you testing it and what are you going to teat other then hp, ft-tq, boost pressure?
Thanks.
I'll test it with datalogs in 4th gear.
First of all boost vs rpm to compare the spoolup. Then VNT% to see if it results in more turbine opening at same boostlevel (=less backpressure). Also EGT will be monitored.
And most important, i can compare acceleration times very precisely for every 500 rpm step. This works for me much better than dyno runs since the car struggles to reach the normal road airmass then, with reduced IQ as result. Driving and logging gives much more consistency.

Last edited:

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Nice can't wait got a cr140 on the way from Canada with 1k on it for a new off-road rig :p . I'm going to run with a biger turbo for the power level I want but don't want lag from it either