Can you intentionally turn on the CEL?

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
My brother has a 2006 Audi A4 which has a problem with the fuel pump. A friend took it apart and found the problem. He then re-assembled, and "un-flashed" the engine since it had been chip tuned but was still under warranty. Now the fault codes are cleared, and the dealer mechanic won't do any work because there's no indication of any problem.

So the question is... can I use the VagCom hardware to intentionally trip a CEL?

Anyone know where get the software I'd need for that? I'm guessing that the TDI version isn't what I need.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Why is your brother going to a dealer? Any mechanic that thinks that there is not a problem just because there are no DTCs is an imbecile. Many dealer mechanics have no clue on how to actually diagnose a problem.

Usually what they do is pull the DTC's (fault codes) and then start shot gunning parts based on the parts described in the DTC's instead of diagnosing why the ECU set the DTC's.

Unless you are under warranty, do not go to a dealer. Usually the most expensive option and there is a very good chance they will destroy your brother's TDI through their incompetence.

The idea of tripping a DTC just so the dealer will work on the car is just kinda loony. Find an independent mechanic that is knowledgeable about TDI's and go there.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well what fault code was there? Low fuel pressure? Misfires? You can't use VCDS to cause a fault, but if the fault re-occurs it will trip the CEL again.

-J

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Well what fault code was there? Low fuel pressure? Misfires? You can't use VCDS to cause a fault, but if the fault re-occurs it will trip the CEL again.
-J
Don't know what the original code was, it was cleared before I found out about the situation. My brother was trying to drive-to-cause-a-code, I recommended against that for obvious reasons. So I guess he's hoping that it trips again before the warranty expires at the end of December.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
The short answer is no, you cannot.

Either drive it to try to get the code out again, or find another dealer more willing.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yep, you already nailed it. Expected to be ~$1,000 worth of work... or $0 if under warranty.
Yup. "First we will change an expensive part and then a stupid expensive part, and after that we will replace everything forward of the firewall to fix your problem. Since there is no DTC, we have no clue as to what parts to improperly install to fix your problem".

On top of that, if you did cause a DTC to set, they would just clear it and if it didn't come back, they would just charge you $100 to $200 and send you an your way.

Last edited:

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
What was the problem? If he knows what the problem is then tell the dealer that the code monkey and the parts store cleared the code. Tripping the cel is easy unplug something important but that won't be be real problem lol

I normally void all of my warranties and just fix problems the correct way.. I have a hard time trusting Joe . This is my first car I'm trying to keep "stock" in the engine

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
My brother has a 2006 Audi A4 which has a problem with the fuel pump. A friend took it apart and found the problem.................
Thanks.
So the issue is fixed?
I'm confused. The mention of a chip tune is also confusing.
Are you trying to get them to pay for previous work by others?
Is the car now running fine?
Can we put the chip tune back? That may trigger the CEL.
Sorry, I'm just not getting it.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
My brother has a 2006 Audi A4 which has a problem with the fuel pump. A friend took it apart and found the problem. He then re-assembled, and "un-flashed" the engine since it had been chip tuned but was still under warranty. Now the fault codes are cleared, and the dealer mechanic won't do any work because there's no indication of any problem.

So the question is... can I use the VagCom hardware to intentionally trip a CEL?

Anyone know where get the software I'd need for that? I'm guessing that the TDI version isn't what I need.

Thanks.
You probably talking about HPFP tappet failure.
If is damage there ,then Dealer has to fix it under warranty.It does not have to be any faulty codes .
All you need to do call 1800 Audi of USA and made complain, and they will tell dealer to fix it.Just tell AOU that cars drives very bad time to time, and it has hesitation time to time, which is very true if you drive car under load for about 10 min.

AUDI dealer are worst dealer you ever want to deal with.In almost any situation with warranty you have to call AOU.

A 2006 still has warranty?
Yes on HPFP tappet , 120000 miles or 10 years.

Last edited: