Talk to me about 6 speed transmissions (MKIV)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Value of a used 02J?

02A should be about the same, I would think. 5+ years ago I purchased one used for $265, had it shipped to Whitbread. He tore it down, inspected it, replaced the rivets with ARP bolts, put it back together with no other new parts. Works fine, with the 6 spd conversion. My current spare cost me $200. I picked up a 3rd one for $100 then traded it off for something I needed.

I don't see a used 5 speed worth much more than $200. Check to see how much Dutch Auto Parts will deliver one to your door...Shipping a 5 speed by Fed Ex ground will cost $100 in the U.S., plus you have to box/crate it for shipment.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
02J with SouthBend Stage 2 daily and SMF will run just fine with the O2M. That is what I am running and flywheel / clutch was just swapped when the O2J was pulled for the install of 6 spd.

VR6ix

Veteran Member
TDI
WVW-W 2dr ALH
VR6ix,

How about telling us the costs for all the parts and what you paid for labor?
I had a lot of work done all at once, so hard to estimate the labour charges. The trans swap was just over $3k Canadian plus driving a couple hours. Cheaper than a kit direct from Darkside for example, but still a lot of money.

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Depending on how you drive the car you might need a stronger transmission. I have an 02J with: 3.15R&P, ARP ring gear bolts, peloquinn differential, SBC clutch kit stage something, R-Axles, and Dieselgeek sigma shift kit. Shattered my fifth gear cluster a few times and rebuilt the trans with new bearings/bushings a few times... I am in the process of upgrading to the DRW 02M now with Wavetrac, ARP's, SBC clutch, R-Axles, DIeselgeek Sigma, and going to have the upgraded steel shift forks.. The 02J design has a torque/design limit, exceed that then it becomes a money pit of failures until your ready to upgrade. Some upgraded parts are made but nothing that would make it bulletproof.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I guess it does depend on how you drive the car. My son's '00 Golf with minor mods went through three transmissions in 200K miles. OTOH, my wagon has its original 02J at 316K despite numerous track days and making about twice stock power for close to half its life. And we have three other TDIs here with over 250K, all with original, untouched transmissions.

Joe 2012 Golf

TDI
2012 Golf 6 speed manual, 2006 Silverado Duromax dually
Just learn to double clutch when you're driving around town, going up through the gears. Learn to heel-toe down shift. You'll save wear and tear on your transmission hard parts and the synchronizers.
My two cents. Love my 6 speed. I don't mind down shifting to pass. Most of the time, I drop two gears and rev match to pass, as where I live is pretty hilly.
I didn't convert. Car came with a 6 speed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I drive a car with a synchronizers in its transmission so I don't have to double clutch. Used to do that in old British cars. It would be a PITA in daily driving. I believe rev-matching is useful in taking stress off the drivetrain, and I've learned to heel and toe pretty well for track days. But double clutching? No thanks.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I agree. If the synchros are worn out and are not whirling the input shaft to match, they'll need some crankshaft assist....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Well everyone, I greatly appreciate your input on this. I have decided that as much as I would LOVE a 6 speed in my car, I would much rather put that money towards a 4x4 tractor with a front end loader. Of course it will be a diesel too! I've been saving for a tractor for a while and I would rather put the $3000ish (parts and labor) into my tractor fund. Thank you again for everything as points were brought up that I hadn't considered.

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
Well everyone, I greatly appreciate your input on this. I have decided that as much as I would LOVE a 6 speed in my car, I would much rather put that money towards a 4x4 tractor with a front end loader. Of course it will be a diesel too! I've been saving for a tractor for a while and I would rather put the $3000ish (parts and labor) into my tractor fund. Thank you again for everything as points were brought up that I hadn't considered.
Good choice.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I've been driving 6 speeds in MKIV cars for the last 150k+ I totally freak when I'm in a VW with a 5 speed manual. The cars feel broken to me.
6 speed advantages include
1) way less clutch effort
2) way smoother engagement
3) noticeably quieter at cruise

Fuel economy really isn't much better FYI.
Thereis no way I'd drive an MKIV without a 6 speed, it's just the way they should be.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Ha. If I could only count how many times I've bumped reverse @ 40mph with my nv4500....that freaks me out.

Crrrrrrrr, oh, **** oops.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk