Polish chrome trim

nivram

TDI
06 Jetta
What do you guys use to keep your chrome trim and bumper cover nice and shiny? Mine is starting to show some white haze on them.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I can't stand the chrome bumper cover...it's gloss black now.

However, for the chrome window trim, I usually just polish it with the cloth I am using to clean the windows. For more intense polishing, I use either Mother's chrome polish, or Mother's aluminum polish. My experience has been that the window trim is extremely hard, and possibly coated with some type of clear coat, because even relatively aggressive polishes only slightly shine it.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
dbusiness said:
If the chrome gets bad you can use Brasso, it can be found at any supermarket.
I don't think it'll work. The chrome-like trim appears to be silver mylar with a clear poly layer on top. Just about any light polish should do.

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
guess I'm the only one that read the thread title and thought "why is the trim different in poland?" lol.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
MyAvocation said:
The chrome-like trim appears to be silver mylar with a clear poly layer on top.
That's right, and once you burn thru the protective layer, you've got a real (permanent) mess on your hands that's just about impossible to maintain.

I don't use anything "abrasive" on our car - - I've been warned by others.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
philip_g said:
guess I'm the only one that read the thread title and thought "why is the trim different in poland?" lol.
Nope, I'm with you. My first thought was "what's so special about Polish chrome?"

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
DoctorDawg said:
Nope, I'm with you. My first thought was "what's so special about Polish chrome?"
It's special, just like the rich Corinthian V-Tex in our '09's and '10's. :D