We just joined the Passat TDI Wagon crowd

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
We just picked up a clean 2005 TDI GLS wagon with about 18K miles on it. It's black with the 18 inch wheels. Beautiful car and drives like a dream. I also notices a significant power increase over my '06 Jetta TDI. The car flat out moves! We traded my wife's '04 Jeep GC. Now we are 100% diesel. :)

ufoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, Shadow Blue, gray leather
congratulations!

congratulations. i hope you enjoy your 2.0 TDI as much as i am enjoying mine. how 'bout some photos? did you mean 17 inch OEM wheels or does it have aftermarket 18 inch wheels on it.

;)

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
ufoguy said:
congratulations. i hope you enjoy your 2.0 TDI as much as i am enjoying mine. how 'bout some photos? did you mean 17 inch OEM wheels or does it have aftermarket 18 inch wheels on it.

;)
sorry, meant the 17s.

I will have to get a shot of it once my wife brings it home.

I love the way the engine sounds. Much throatier than the 1.9 PD.I was surprised to open the hood and find the engine mounted front to back, rather than transverse. The steering is a little heavier when compared to the A5, but I really like the 5 spd auto. It seems to be well matched to the engine and the car just pulls like a freight train. I am looking forward to a road trip.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
You will love it on the road. When passing, use the manual gate to drop it a gear, it does ok with the normal auto selection, but it really rips off dropping a gear.

keypecker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW traded off 2005 Passat sedan 2.0 TDI
Can we be nosey and ask how much they are getting in Orlando for the TDI Wagons? :)
When are you getting it chipped?? that really cranks up te WOW factor of this little 2 liter diesel..... nothing short of amazing. But if it's you wifes car you may want to swap wtih her, it's wouldn't do to give a woman that much power!!! :)

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Smokerr said:
You will love it on the road. When passing, use the manual gate to drop it a gear, it does ok with the normal auto selection, but it really rips off dropping a gear.
I will have to try that. It's a great car. I had to fight my wife for it today so I could take it in and get a proper service performed on it- piece of mind thing.

I have noticed that weird 'in-between' shift that occurs right after it hits second gear. My wife is going to be driving the car mostly so I am going to let it adapt to her driving style and see what happens.

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
keypecker said:
Can we be nosey and ask how much they are getting in Orlando for the TDI Wagons? :)
When are you getting it chipped?? that really cranks up te WOW factor of this little 2 liter diesel..... nothing short of amazing. But if it's you wifes car you may want to swap wtih her, it's wouldn't do to give a woman that much power!!! :)
Believe me, she is much more the lead foot than I. Plus, I already stuck a DP tuning box on my A5 so I have some power to keep up with her. Maybe later I will look into chipping it. I like the tuning box because it can be removed for dealer visits, so I will probably go that route.

We bought the car from Courtesy GMC in Longwood. They were asking about 25K for it with 18K miles on the clock. It was listed on ebay- that's how I found it. We had been looking for awhile for one and were caught off gaurd slightly to find one locally. We went down immediately so we wouldn't miss the chance. I had never seen a TDI version in person until this one came up. We jumped on it and have no regrets. She was driving an '04 Jeep GC, and it was tough for her to let it go.

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
I have a stupid question:

Is this 2005 wagon considered a B5, B5.5, or B6?

I am a little confused with this.

:D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
B5.5 - - it's the only version of a TDi wagon sold in the USA apart from a handful of 1996 and 1997 cars (which were referred to as B4).

Last edited:

05TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005,
06JettaTDIdsg said:
We just picked up a clean 2005 TDI GLS wagon with about 18K miles on it. It's black with the 18 inch wheels. Beautiful car and drives like a dream. I also notices a significant power increase over my '06 Jetta TDI. The car flat out moves! We traded my wife's '04 Jeep GC. Now we are 100% diesel. :)
Congrats on the new Diesel...

A couple of things:
a) make sure that you use the correct oil, if you are going to the dealer, make sure they know how much oil to use.
b) It appears as if the wonderful sunshine that you get causes some dealers to not know how much oil the car needs. My car suffered this fait at its first oil change last summer while in St. Pete.

Most dealers from what I was able to see hardly ever see a TDI VW, let alone a PASSAT. The only car that was in service that was a TDI was a bug (besides mine).

c) Drive that car :)

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
05TDI_Fan said:
Congrats on the new Diesel...

A couple of things:
a) make sure that you use the correct oil, if you are going to the dealer, make sure they know how much oil to use.
b) It appears as if the wonderful sunshine that you get causes some dealers to not know how much oil the car needs. My car suffered this fait at its first oil change last summer while in St. Pete.

Most dealers from what I was able to see hardly ever see a TDI VW, let alone a PASSAT. The only car that was in service that was a TDI was a bug (besides mine).

c) Drive that car :)
funny thing is I bought the car from a GMC dealer- apparantly the previous owner traded it for a truck:eek:

I asked them about the inspection and service they did and they said the oil was changed. I freaked at this and told them to produce the work order showing the oil that was used. Fortunately it showed the Castrol synthetic tdi oil. The whole time I was thinking they dumped some regular old havoline or something in it. the service advisor told me they went down the street to the vw dealer and bought the oil that was needed.

I won't get to drive the car much...it's for my wife.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
06JettaTDIdsg said:
I asked them about the inspection and service they did and they said the oil was changed. I freaked at this and told them to produce the work order showing the oil that was used. Fortunately it showed the Castrol synthetic tdi oil.
505.01 spec oil right? "TDI" oil is not enough. It must be approved for PD TDI engines - 505.01 If not, drain that sucker yourself (get a Pella oil extractor from www.jerrybleach.com) and give the dealer a bill...

ufoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, Shadow Blue, gray leather
505.01 oil

owr084 said:
505.01 spec oil right? "TDI" oil is not enough. It must be approved for PD TDI engines - 505.01 If not, drain that sucker yourself (get a Pella oil extractor from www.jerrybleach.com) and give the dealer a bill...
i second the motion! i wouldn't trust the GM dealer to know the correct oil to put in your new TDI. :eek: go for a pella and replace your oil with some castrol 505.01 obtained from your nearest VW dealer. pick up a couple of oil filters while you are at it. don't take any chances with your new baby.

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Not to worry everyone. The car was just serviced by the VW dealer yesterday. All is good, the car got a clean bill of health from them. I went ahead and had the 20k service performed while it was there. I even bought two extra bottles of the Castol spec oil- one for the passat and one for the jetta.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
06JettaTDIdsg said:
Not to worry everyone. The car was just serviced by the VW dealer yesterday. All is good, the car got a clean bill of health from them. I went ahead and had the 20k service performed while it was there. I even bought two extra bottles of the Castol spec oil- one for the passat and one for the jetta.
Be sue it is 505.01 oil...Kuhn here tried to give me Castrol TDi oil that was not 505.01...there is a difference!

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
06JettaTDIdsg said:
Well you could have bought a Jeep CRD and split the difference!

Congratulation though, we got the Passat, sold a 95 Ford Bronco, and kept the 94 Pickup (everyone should have one!)

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
I am avoiding the Pella, nothing against it directly, but I would always wonder if I go tit all (I know I could measure, but every time I move oil around it spills and...)

Also dropping the pan gets a good look underneath, and I break the turbo connection on the left side and drain the oil out of the bottom of the after cooler. Not a huge amount, but at some point its really going to carry over a lot.

Unfortunately it was hit and run this time, I wrecked my bicycle last week, and if I didn’t crack ribs, I sure smashed them good in the front, and torn something in the back. Really really hurts to roll around that way (and yes I wish I hade the Pella right now!)

My driveway is sloped a bit, so when I put it up on the ramps its level, so it all comes out (based on 4 quarts/liters go back in to top up).