Cam failure % on 2006s

Meek

TDI
Q7 3.0 TDI
Looking at a 2006 today. What percentage of the 2006s have had camshaft failure? Its the only thing scaring me about these models? If I don't hear them, do I assume it is fine for the time being, but start a fund for its eventual replacement? Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure why so many people worry about this. It isn't *that* big of a deal, and they *can* live a good long while before they need it done.

Meek

TDI
Q7 3.0 TDI
Thanks. While researching this model, its all I see.
Car has about 130k miles on it. Clutch and timing belt done. Thanks for some piece of mind.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Pull the valve cover and take a look. Had my cam changed at 110,000 mi when I had my second timing belt done (on time, at 5 years); it showed dished out lifters and a little scoring. This way, I figure, with Fuchs 10W40, it should last the life of the car (I suspect the dealer used 10W30 505.01 - before I knew any better). Love the car.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Consider the cam change part of the maintenance on the car like timing belts...at least on the BRM.
You are better off knowing the cam/lifters condition before you can hear it.
Another concern is the aluminum plugs in the rocker arms shaft gallery falling out causing an oil pressure drop.
That can speed up wear all over the engine.
It is a wonderful car.
It just cost more to own than some of the others.

Last edited:

Meek

TDI
Q7 3.0 TDI
Are the Alu plugs in the rocker arms part of the kits I saw that come with the cam? I was thinking of the Colt Stg 2 from Kerma when the time comes.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Are the Alu plugs in the rocker arms part of the kits I saw that come with the cam? I was thinking of the Colt Stg 2 from Kerma when the time comes.
Not that I know of. The plugs usually settle into a head bolt recess, luckily enough. I usually just put them back in, smack them to expand them some more and then stake the shaft around the hole.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I had a touch over 200K on my BRM and the cam didn't look too bad. Replaced the cam for piece of mind and to eliminate the possibility of the cam being the cause of my ongoing issue.

I will add my oil of choice for approx. 150K of those 200K has been and still is Rotella T6 5/40......my .02

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I'm just waiting for DWeisel to reply. My sisters 2006 Jetta(bought new) has the original cam and has 340,000kms. It looks brand new still. It's had a strict diet of 5W-40 fully synthetic oil done at 15,000kms. Still performs like new and still gets the fuel mileage it did when new.

OMALLEY_808

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
I'm just waiting for DWeisel to reply. My sisters 2006 Jetta(bought new) has the original cam and has 340,000kms. It looks brand new still. It's had a strict diet of 5W-40 fully synthetic oil done at 15,000kms. Still performs like new and still gets the fuel mileage it did when new.
Which oil have you been using out of curiosity? You've pulled the cover and cam still looks new?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Which oil have you been using out of curiosity? You've pulled the cover and cam still looks new?
When I say new, I mean BRAND NEW. We pulled the valve cover and the lobes were still pronounced and compared to a new cam, it's the exact same. Lifters were also perfect. We've used Castrol Syntec 5W40 with approved 505.1 rating from VW. When it was new, up until 100,000 miles, the dealership maintained it and used that oil and stressed to us, when we stopped servicing it there, to use that 505.1 oil. So now we pick the oil and filters up at the dealer. A full oil change to do it ourselves costs $58. If we do fuel filter and two air filters it goes up to $120. And most dealers have customer parts loyalty discounts so I'd get 10% off. Would highly recommend buying maintenance parts off a dealer, but check that they do sell the proper oil, since some don't.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Mine went out at 202,000. You can tell when they are bad because of dropped fuel mileage(mine dropped 3mpg), lopey idle, or sputtering through intake or exhaust. Great cars as long as your not scared to spend the money on maintenance. Between the cam, lifters, tires, suspension, and wheel bearings, I have just put $2800 in mine. Cheaper than a car payment, has SiriusXM and rides better than most new cars for my daily 130 mile commute. Good Luck!

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
247,000 miles on my 2006, Bought the car new, all I can saw is what cam shaft problem??