Looking to buy a 2004-06 Jetta automatic wagon

TheBigE

TDI
2006 Jetta wagon automatic Previously: 2002 Jetta Automatic
If anyone comes upon or is selling a 2004-06 Jetta wagon with the tiptronic automatic I am in the mArket to buy one. Why? Firstly it has to be automatic for my wife to drive every now and then. Secondly I need a bigger vehicle than my 2002 Jetta sedan for my hockey playing sons and their gear(one is a goalie). Thirdly I am after a slightly newer Jetta because I read the transmissions are more solid than my 2002. Anything out there safetied and etested in the London area? Not much on kijiji or autotrader. Thanks for any info.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
I have seen an 04-06 auto wagon advertised on kijiji in Markham recently. Needs a turbo tho it's advertised at $1200.

TheBigE

TDI
Yeah I saw that one. Good price but turbo bad and likely being sold as is because of that. I have never chanced it on an as is vehicle...if It is advertised in some ads as 'ready for safety and etest' then go ahead and do it and give me the price!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Look for a Passat wagon, more room and better value than a Jetta.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Look for a Passat wagon, more room and better value than a Jetta.

Agreed...but you do know that the B5.5 comes with it's own 'characteristics' that need to be addressed one way or another haha ;-)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed...but you do know that the B5.5 comes with it's own 'characteristics' that need to be addressed one way or another haha ;-)
Yup, they are all crap (all VWs) when it comes to consistent durability. Either you get a good one or a crappy one, it's the luck of the draw.

Last edited:

TheBigE

TDI
Thanks for the kijiji ad info. I didn't see it because I have been searching for Jetta wagons and he never mentions wagon in his ad.

I will check it out. Right near me. Have to test drive and check the cam.

I pondered Passat wagons too. A bit bigger which is good. But I read less fuel mileage and other engine issues in those.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the kijiji ad info. I didn't see it because I have been searching for Jetta wagons and he never mentions wagon in his ad.

I will check it out. Right near me. Have to test drive and check the cam.

I pondered Passat wagons too. A bit bigger which is good. But I read less fuel mileage and other engine issues in those.
The fuel mileage difference is so little (~0.5L/100km) that it's a non issue. I went with 2 adult passengers to Montreal and back, on one tank at 130km/h.. When you sit in both, the Passat is a lot bigger than an MKIV Jetta. The rear leg room is way more too. Go sit in one and you'll see. It's more refined and quieter too.

TheBigE

TDI
Wow that is close on mileage. WAy closer than the official stats on vw published fuel mileage for Jetta vs Passat wagons. as you said the luck of the drAw is pivotal. I have seen so many 01m tranny issues in threads while mine has gone 120k Kms fine then just in the past few thousand has had torque converter issues but it still is ok to drive until I find a wagon.

TheBigE

TDI
I checked the Jetta wagon in mount brydges. Pretty rough shape. Too rough to buy as is and chance it. The search goes on...

TheBigE

TDI
Found one! By the end of the week I should have my new to me Jetta wagon. A 2006 with 216k on it. Now I have to sell off my 2002 4 door Jetta for some as is bucks and find out where to get the best deal on engine oil for the bew. Is there anything good at Canadian tire like for my 2002's Castrol edge oil? Or do I have to go elsewhere for it? The long time owner always did dealership services. Likely huge bucks to buy the engine oil there.

TheBigE

TDI
Thanks for the info. Where is the rotella sold? I also have some extra oil filters I bought for the ALH engine, are they the same in a BEW?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Canadian Tire sell it, the filter is different. Leave it in trunk of the '02 when you sell it.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Is it for sure a BEW in a 06, or did it get the BRM? If its a BEW, the oil filter is the same as ALH according to buying them online '99.5-2005', the 06 wagon is a bit of an oddball, was only sold in Canada I think, people have complained in the past that their parts database do not even list a 06 jetta wagon diesel.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Canadian Tire sell it, the filter is different. Leave it in trunk of the '02 when you sell it.
No it's not.

BEW uses the same everything the ALH does. Fuel/oil/whatever filters.

Is it for sure a BEW in a 06, or did it get the BRM? If its a BEW, the oil filter is the same as ALH according to buying them online '99.5-2005', the 06 wagon is a bit of an oddball, was only sold in Canada I think, people have complained in the past that their parts database do not even list a 06 jetta wagon diesel.

All '06 wagons are BEW. Anytime I need a part and I think the part jockey is going to screw up because mines a '05 (Same year the MKV started) I say I have a '04 wagon.

TheBigE

TDI
So for most parts I should say I have an '04 wagon? And from what posters have said, same oil filter but different oil. To ask another question here, am I correct that the wheels will interchange between my new '06 wagon and '02 jetta sedan? That would be nice!

TheBigE

TDI
From what I have now seen the sedans changed over but the wagons stayed mkiv. I am doing more research now that I am switching over.