15w40 rotella t6 in 2015 jetta tdi no dpf

eanfoso

TDI
2011 Jetta
hello guys, I'm at 140k miles and have always done dealership services. My car has been burning a lot of oil (about 2 qt per 10k miles) it didn't do that, but then again it is summer in Houston. My question is, can i use 15w40 for my jetta, at least during these harsh months of summer? Could i also add a Lucas oil stabilizer high mileage?
P.D.
I've accumulated this much mileage because i go 5 to 6 times a year to Mexico, a 12 hr drive to my hometown so it's 80% highway miles

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
hello guys, I'm at 140k miles and have always done dealership services. My car has been burning a lot of oil (about 2 qt per 10k miles) it didn't do that, but then again it is summer in Houston. My question is, can i use 15w40 for my jetta, at least during these harsh months of summer? Could i also add a Lucas oil stabilizer high mileage?
P.D.
I've accumulated this much mileage because i go 5 to 6 times a year to Mexico, a 12 hr drive to my hometown so it's 80% highway miles
Check Your PCV Valve or just change it. You could have coked/stuck oil control piston rings that are not expanding making a good seal against the cylinder walls. do an engine Flush the product to use is this BG EPR before you change your old oil simply pour it in and run it the engine at 1200 rpm with the ocassional light throttle rev every now and again. for splashing oil purposes for 15-20 minutes and drain oil then refill using only proper grade & spec oil in your tdi that it calls for. wich is probably a 507.00 spec oil followed by BG DOC oil Conditioner to further lubricate & clean engine also Neutralize any left over residue from EPR left over in the engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmsIyV2zQAI
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-doc-diesel-oil-conditioner/

Last edited:

eanfoso

TDI
2011 Jetta
I see and i thank you for the detailed information. My question is, can i use 15w40 oil, a rotella t6 in my jetta tdi? I also want to know because my dad has dump trucks so he can get it for me for cheap

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Personally I would not. I used it in some old Land Rover diesels and V8s and it was great. Seems a little too thick to me. Folks on here have used Rotella 5w/40 in their common rail cars.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I think using 15w40 viscosity oil in your engine would be a costly mistake. Regardless of age or miles, the proper oil is that recommended by the manufacturer. In your case it is VW507-spec oil in 5w-20. Many oil brands that meet that spec are available.

Two quarts over 10k miles is not excessive.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
No... dont use 15w40 in your tdi its to thick at start up puting more unnecessary wear on engine 5w30 or 5w40 is better suited i run liqui moly 4200 5w30 in my 2012 TDI. in texas heat the thickest i would go is 5w40 if your using oil the wise decision is to look at cleaning the oil control piston rings as i mentioned above

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
P.D.

forget everything you are thinking about right now, forget about changing the oil, forget about the dealership, just stop
find a trusted TDI mechanic and go there.
FIND where the oil is going. at that rate chances are its the turbo. and when this happens it will either cause a runaway or a catastrophic turbo failure.

either way, if your not up to the challenge, go to a TRUSTED TDI MECHANIC
never EVER try and use a chemical solution to fix a mechanical problem.

if you put a thicker oil in your car as it is, chances are you WILL have a runaway or worse

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
forget everything you are thinking about right now, forget about changing the oil, forget about the dealership, just stop
find a trusted TDI mechanic and go there.
FIND where the oil is going. at that rate chances are its the turbo. and when this happens it will either cause a runaway or a catastrophic turbo failure.
either way, if your not up to the challenge, go to a TRUSTED TDI MECHANIC
never EVER try and use a chemical solution to fix a mechanical problem
if you put a thicker oil in your car as it is, chances are you WILL have a runaway or worse
I dissagree i have used BG EPR as an engine flush Perfectly thorough & safe to use no ill affects from using it. oil loss could be caused from stuck/coked rings prety common on any engine caused from either short distance driving or extended oil change intervals.
https://idpartsblog.com/2014/07/15/...5W40 oil is most,owners prefer 5W40 over 5W30.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
No... dont use 15w40 in your tdi its to thick at start up puting more unnecessary wear on engine 5w30 or 5w40 is better suited i run liqui moly 4200 5w30 in my 2012 TDI. in texas heat the thickest i would go is 5w40 if your using oil the wise decision is to look at cleaning the oil control piston rings as i mentioned above
so hes asking if he could use the 15W40 " during these harsh months of summer" , how is it thicker than the 5W40?

Last edited:

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
so hes asking if he could use the 15W40 " during these harsh months of summer" , how is it thicker then the 5W40?
15w40 - 5w40 both stay at a forty viscosity bigest difference between them is reaching at the top of the Engine the fastest on the 1st initail cold crank of a key or pushstart 15w40 would be the slowest i would not use it. 5w40 much better choice & will flow quicker to the top of engine. 15w40 i dont recommend on a 2015 TDI flows too slow at cold start up puting more wear on engine until oil reaches to vital internal parts

Last edited:

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Agree with John. The time of greatest wear with any engine is at startup. At that time, all of the rotating/reciprocating parts are relying on residual lubricants, if any. It is best to get "fresh" lubricant to those points as quickly as possible. The main reason (I believe) that Deisel engines enjoy such longevity is because the fuel itself is a lubricant and has much to do with minimizing start-up wear.

My old Mercedes had an OM617 Deisel engine that was excellent but had internal clearances that you could drive this VW through. Even so, when I sold it it had 360k miles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I dissagree i have used BG EPR as an engine flush Perfectly thorough & safe to use no ill affects from using it. oil loss could be caused from stuck/coked rings prety common on any engine caused from either short distance driving or extended oil change intervals.
https://idpartsblog.com/2014/07/15/...5W40 oil is most,owners prefer 5W40 over 5W30.
that stuff is a chemical, it cleans up another chemical reaction with diesel soot and oil
not a mechanical problem. you can always use a mechanical solution to fix nearly any problem, not the other way around.

the 15W is the winter or (cold weight) IE at start up on a cool day (under what? 90*F?) its going to cause a lot more wear.

Soon as the engine warms up is going to do nothing different than the 5w40

the issue is that if it is a turbo journal bearing, you will KILL what ever is left as on start up it will wear down MUCH MUCH FASTER.
prepare for another runaway thread soon guys!

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
that stuff is a chemical, it cleans up another chemical reaction with diesel soot and oil
not a mechanical problem. you can always use a mechanical solution to fix nearly any problem, not the other way around.
the 15W is the winter or (cold weight) IE at start up on a cool day (under what? 90*F?) its going to cause a lot more wear.
Soon as the engine warms up is going to do nothing different than the 5w40
the issue is that if it is a turbo journal bearing, you will KILL what ever is left as on start up it will wear down MUCH MUCH FASTER.
prepare for another runaway thread soon guys!
I refuse to use 15w40 in my 2012 TDI anyone want to use it in there newer TDI be my guest.? You dont like chemical treatments or additives hey? what do you think a repair shop uses to clean up carbon from your engine many times chemicalls/additives hello?. additives/chemicalls are in your oil already just not as concentrated as using BG prod. alone

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I use Mobil1 TDT 5W-40 in my deleted '15
Car has always burned about 1qt per 10k regardless of oil choice. I get stellar UOA results with TDT as well.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
As long as the ambient temps are well above freezing the 15w-40 would be fine. Most truckers who do oil analysis know they get better wear numbers with 15w-40 than 5w-40. I wouldn't want to run a conventional HDEO out to 10k miles in a tdi though. A synthetic 5w-40 or 0w-40 would be better.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The 15W-40 that the OP is talking about IS SYNTHETIC. They make a T6 15W-40 and a 5W-40.

I don't think the OP will have any issues running that oil in texas. Here in NY would be a different story.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It would be fine in NY for all but winter use. The conventional T4? 15w-40 is extremely popular with equipment operators around here. Never seen the 15w-40 T6. Probably a new product- like the 5w-30 T6.

eanfoso

TDI
2011 Jetta
Out of curiosity, how long is your oic? I'm thinking of going with the 5w40 seems like everyone is putting down the idea of 15w40 for summer drives of 12 hrs in 110F heat lol also what's your take on rotella t6? As i said, my father has dump trucks so he can get me rotella oil on the cheap

eanfoso

TDI
2011 Jetta
As long as the ambient temps are well above freezing the 15w-40 would be fine. Most truckers who do oil analysis know they get better wear numbers with 15w-40 than 5w-40. I wouldn't want to run a conventional HDEO out to 10k miles in a tdi though. A synthetic 5w-40 or 0w-40 would be better.
Gotcha, so i can run a 15w40 here in Texas/Mexico and that i need to get the rotella t6, not the t4 or t5. With a fully synthetic 15w40 t6 can i do oil change intervals of 10k miles? My dad has dump trucks so he can get me 15w40 for really cheap instead of the rotella 5w40, but at least until February when it gets cold (30F) I'll switch to dealership oil change. At least that's my plan. What do you think?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just get the 5w-40 T6. It's an excellent oil, and probably cheaper than the new 15w-40 T6 product. That way you'll never have to worry about having a too heavy oil if there's a cold snap or something. 10k miles is a good interval and easy to remember.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Don’t ever use any Lucas oil stabilizer products. They are for junkers that have worn internals. Used car salesmen love that stuff!

I’ve used 10w30 and 10w40 in my TDI and other diesels specd for 5w30. Not a problem with mild winter weather temps > 0F and oil analysis always shows low wear.

What JohnsTDI said isn’t true and he doesn’t know what he is talking about. If an engine oil is liquid and pumpable a 0w, 5w, 10w and 15w all flow the same in warm ambient temps. Lower winter ratings don’t have any advantage in flow unless your operating near the lower range of cold temperatures.

Your oil burning may be related to the specific oil you’re using or carbon on the rings. You can try an oil with carbon cleaning properties like VPB Restore or a flushing product like kreen to see if it solves the problem. If not the rings or oil choice it’s probably valve seals, PCV, or Turbo.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you have a turbo that is burning oil (aka on its way out) and you run a cleaner though the oil system, the coked up film on the turbos journal bearing will be gone and guess what, you thought you had an oil leak now????? wait till you have that runaway.
if you cant see the oil leak, its probably internal. if its the rings, you will pump enough CCV into the intercooler and over time a slug of oil will be ingested and the engine will be total loss.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sheesh, all the doom and gloom over a couple qts usage over 10k miles is silly. Stay away from all of the snake oil products and keep an eye on the dipstick and you should be fine.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Why would one assume the TC is worn out at 140k?

Dunno why the oil rings would be stuck either, though.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
Sheesh, all the doom and gloom over a couple qts usage over 10k miles is silly. Stay away from all of the snake oil products and keep an eye on the dipstick and you should be fine.

I noticed my oil usage issue went away once deleted, not sure why though

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
if you have a turbo that is burning oil (aka on its way out) and you run a cleaner though the oil system, the coked up film on the turbos journal bearing will be gone and guess what, you thought you had an oil leak now????? wait till you have that runaway.
if you cant see the oil leak, its probably internal. if its the rings, you will pump enough CCV into the intercooler and over time a slug of oil will be ingested and the engine will be total loss.

[FONT=&quot]"Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]..."[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]That makes about as much sense as the quoted post...[/FONT][/FONT]

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[FONT=&quot]"Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]..."[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]That makes about as much sense as the quoted post...[/FONT][/FONT]
What...........
How does this have anything to do with anything on this thread, other than trying to bait me out into an argument.
And don't you dare talk to me about "Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way?"
My son has a genetic disorder that less than about 8,000 people have world wide and is on life support and will be for LIFE.
I'm not the only one where with children or loved ones that have issues. very poor timing.... especially with what's going on with OilHammer and his family.
Go troll elsewhere, i expect better from a VENDER.
[3] No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument. ANY personal attacks or name calling will get you banned.
You won't be getting my business!
not that i would anyways, but if i could, i would not!

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
What...........
How does this have anything to do with anything on this thread, other than trying to bait me out into an argument.
And don't you dare talk to me about "Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way?"
My son has a genetic disorder that less than about 8,000 people have world wide and is on life support and will be for LIFE.
I'm not the only one where with children or loved ones that have issues. very poor timing.... especially with what's going on with OilHammer and his family.
Go troll elsewhere, i expect better from a VENDER.
[3] No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument. ANY personal attacks or name calling will get you banned.
You won't be getting my business!
not that i would anyways, but if i could, i would not!

That was a copy/paste of an internet joke. Sorry it went over your head.

The point was, why give a ridiculously absurd reply to the OP about his oil consumption "issue" that works out to adding one quart every 4 months for the average driver?