DPF bit the dust !!!!

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Well got the usual runaround about everything being fine cause the light turned off .. The only thing they are doing is replacing my steering wheel due to my paddle shifters malfunctioning :( guess next week when the light comes back on I'll have to bring it back....

Should I worry about them replacing the steering wheel ? Is there anything they could toof up ?

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Well got the usual runaround about everything being fine cause the light turned off .. The only thing they are doing is replacing my steering wheel due to my paddle shifters malfunctioning :( guess next week when the light comes back on I'll have to bring it back....

Should I worry about them replacing the steering wheel ? Is there anything they could toof up ?
Do you really want to ask that last question? :confused:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Notice regen cycle being interrupted mentioned several times. How does one know it was regen? Only way I know is if I shut down engine and the fans continue to run.
Is there some way I could know that refen cycle is active?
My car does get alot of very short in town drives (less than 2 miles most time) and mostly in winter, rest of the time, we usual just walk to town.
Unless I missed it, there isn't any dash indicator or any other method of knowing regen is active?
I have appointment at dealership in the morning because the check engine light is on. Seems likely this could be the problem (7k total miles- 8 months old.)
Scroll on down to page 61 and all your questions, and more, will be answered.

http://www.dsd.go.th/itrain/km/kboc...Diesel_Engine_2.0L_TDI_CommonRail_BIN5_UL.pdf

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Scroll on down to page 61 and all your questions, and more, will be answered.

http://www.dsd.go.th/itrain/km/kboc...Diesel_Engine_2.0L_TDI_CommonRail_BIN5_UL.pdf
interesting... seem to be a number of "safeguards" to prevent failed regen's leading to DPF problems.
i've on many occasions (10+) "interrupted" a regen when arriving at point B, and have never seen the DPF light come on at any time.

i'd love to hear an account of someone trying to talk their way out of a speeding ticket with "but my car told me to floor it, Officer!" :p

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've been reading these comments about interrupting an active regen. Is that even possible? The regen runs even if the car has been shut off and will run until the computer thinks it is complete. So how do we interrupt it?

With just over 30K miles, I have never seen the DPF light, except at start up when all the other lights come on.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
The regen isn't running when the car is off , it's just the fans I believe

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The regen runs even if the car has been shut off and will run until the computer thinks it is complete.
An active regen is only being preformed with the engine is running. To actively regen the DPF you need a post combustion injection plus 3-5 other things happening at the same time, and thats only happening when the cars running.

The fans running is not a sign the DPF going through a regen, thats the system dealing with a biproduct of the regen, heat.

Wheres that link to the self study guide?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I went to the dealer after work to have a little chat with the service manager and to my surprise before I even had a chance to speak the service advisor said my golf was in the shop being looked at completely over again by another tech ! Turns out they had to lay off the original guy for being a lazy POS .... I don't need a new steering wheel just the control module , my drivers side headlight which was aimed wrong and the first tech said t was fine just by letting the lights shine on his knees had a broken housing and they ordered a new assembly , and they are looking into my egr problem again with the assistance of VW this time ..... I left very happy and I guess sometimes it just pays to be persistent with them :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
An active regen is only being preformed with the engine is running. To actively regen the DPF you need a post combustion injection plus 3-5 other things happening at the same time, and thats only happening when the cars running.

The fans running is not a sign the DPF going through a regen, thats the system dealing with a biproduct of the regen, heat.

Yep, I was just a little confused. :confused: in thinking about it, I guess you really wouldn't want your car running after you've walked away.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG

Post #63 above.

Last edited:

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Update- took wagon to dealership this morning- they "cleared" the code- CIL turned off- said 02 sensor was defective.
They have to order one- go back next week for install.
Luckily I am retired, have the time to take care of this. If this is the fix, I am a happy TDIer.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
After Calling VW CC myself and explaining what dealer proposed to me , they called back and said the Dealer was unaware that DPF was covered under 8/80000 emissions warranty and the other item Egr Filter will be covered as well. the car has been getting 5000 mile oil changes from dealer ,I hope with correct oil . I will check this out.
I think as another has suggested that it is a faulty sensor .

Oil change every 10k. Changing it early is not good for the engine and the oil.I know this sounds wacky the oil has to break in.The more miles the oil
is used it does a better job for lubcation and other things to protect the engine. A UOA test will tell you how far you can go to for the next oil change which is around 10K.

freeman

TDI
2003 JSW, 2009 Jetta sedan, to 2013 Passat SEL
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI Sedan. Just before 60K miles I got a CEL with the P0401 code. The dealer replaced the EGR valve and the CEL returned. They then repalced the DPF and then the catalytic converter. The CEL has returned and the dealer is unsure what to do next. I drive 90% highway and really never expected any problems with the DPF. I suspected there was nothing wrong withe DPF/converter but let it be replaced under warranty. I think they are just following an algorithm as mentioned above. I wonder if they just needed to clean out the lines to and from the EGR and the tech let that part slide.

bluey

TDI
Skoda Yeti 2.0L 103kW CR TDI (CFHC) [MY09 Polo TDI 1.9 74kW (AXR) retired with hail damage]
The question would be: Did the DPF fail on it's own or was the failure caused by an external factor? From your description, I would say that the oil from the failed turbo caused the DPF to fail and would not be covered under the emissions warranty.
But according the the EPA, even the turbo is covered by the federal emissions warranty, because from reading any parts that fails that increases emissions is included. The only major argument is whether the 2yr/24000miles or 8yrs/80000miles applies.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

rrolsbe

TDI
2011 TDI Sportswagen
2 Years/24K???

Just curious, where did you come up with the 2yr/24K from? At the very least, I believe a turbo failure should be covered under the 5yr/60K miles drive train warranty. After all, if the Turbo is not part of the engine what is it part of the body??? After reviewing the EPA warranty document, it seems pretty clear to me that a DPF (SHOULD) be covered to 8yr/80K miles even if a turbo causes the DPF to fail.

Regards

But according the the EPA, even the turbo is covered by the federal emissions warranty, because from reading any parts that fails that increases emissions is included. The only major argument is whether the 2yr/24000miles or 8yrs/80000miles applies.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

bluey

TDI
Skoda Yeti 2.0L 103kW CR TDI (CFHC) [MY09 Polo TDI 1.9 74kW (AXR) retired with hail damage]
Just curious, where did you come up with the 2yr/24K from? At the very least, I believe a turbo failure should be covered under the 5yr/60K miles drive train warranty. After all, if the Turbo is not part of the engine what is it part of the body???
the 2yr/24k was just in reference to the EPA warranty, which covers everything that can affect emissions for 2/24 and then only "specified major components" for the remainder to 8/80.

Of course the turbo is part of the engine and I thought all turbos are internally lubricated by engine oil. (Someone earlier suggested someone told them internal lubrication was a mark of the "engine component" but some rep told them turbo wasn't internally lubricated.)

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just curious, where did you come up with the 2yr/24K from? At the very least, I believe a turbo failure should be covered under the 5yr/60K miles drive train warranty. After all, if the Turbo is not part of the engine what is it part of the body??? After reviewing the EPA warranty document, it seems pretty clear to me that a DPF (SHOULD) be covered to 8yr/80K miles even if a turbo causes the DPF to fail.

Regards
That's like saying you ran your car out of oil and toasted the engine and expecting vw to flip the bill.

The Feds warranty is assuming your maintaining your car per spec, they can't control if the turbo goes taking out the dpf, or say the flywheel goes and then somehow takes out the dpf.

bluey

TDI
That's like saying you ran your car out of oil and toasted the engine and expecting vw to flip the bill.

The Feds warranty is assuming your maintaining your car per spec, they can't control if the turbo goes taking out the dpf, or say the flywheel goes and then somehow takes out the dpf.
It's a standard type of warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship that causes a premature failure. So a properly maintained vehicle that fails not due to the owner's fault is covered.

Federally required emission control warranties protect you, the vehicle owner, from the cost of repairs for certain emission related failures that result from manufacturer defects in materials and work- manship or that cause your vehicle to exceed federal emission stan- dards.
This suggests you have to fail an emissions test in order to claim the warranty.

More EPA documents from this page http://epa.gov/oms/epg/tamper.htm, especially long list of emissions-related parts
http://epa.gov/oms/epg/b91001.pdf

Can't seem to find any legal terms and conditions. It looks like an owner would have the EPA on their side in attempting to claim under the warranty.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a standard type of warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship that causes a premature failure. So a properly maintained vehicle that fails not due to the owner's fault is covered.

This suggests you have to fail an emissions test in order to claim the warranty.

More EPA documents from this page http://epa.gov/oms/epg/tamper.htm, especially long list of emissions-related parts
http://epa.gov/oms/epg/b91001.pdf

Can't seem to find any legal terms and conditions. It looks like an owner would have the EPA on their side in attempting to claim under the warranty.
Thanks for agreeing with me.

I actually emailed a few people at the EPA regarding this. Lots of components are listed but not too many relate to a modern diesel, LP EGR? exhaust valve? Intake control valves? Who knew about those in 1991?

I sugested a hypothetical, say the exhaust pressure control valve seizes open and "won't" allow egts to climb and regen the dpf, then the dpf clogs requiring a new one, your SOL, that valve is only warranted till 2/24k. Same thing as if the turbo pukes oil on the dpf at say 70,000 miles, your outside the VW warranty of the turbo, and the dpf wasn't designed to handle an oil bath, so no warranty on the dpf either.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, p0401 came back and went off again !!! At the dealer now ! Not expecting anything to be done but at least I will get documentation .....What could be causing this repeat MIL ????

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
2nd DPF bites the dust

Well turned out VW is replacing my DPF for a second time !!!!! Same procedure from the start of this thread !!! I really don't know what is going on here ! Once again no dpf light , just P0401 which really leads me to believe there is something going on with the Egr circuit .... I mentioned this to him but he's at the mercy of VWOA on what to replace ! I asked him to find out if the dpf was cracked as well .This is two DPF's in 23k miles !!! I'm really getting close to looking into the lemon law as my car has been in the shop over 20 cumulative days at this point .... I really like the car and don't want to get rid of it I just want it right !!! :( why would they do the same repair twice if it obviously didn't work the first time.......... If anyone has any ideas as to what this could be please chime in