Info about Lexington, KY

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
I posted this before, but since its SO COOL, I had to give it its own thread:
http://www.visitlex.com/
I highly recommend visiting this website!
Sign up for your free Visitor's Guide - they send you a very nice packet containing lots of info on things to do. It includes maps, too!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I signed up. I suspect the tourism bureau is going to wonder why they are all-of-a-sudden getting tons of requests for early Sept.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I think we should contact them and ask them to put some horse racing events for us, lets see if there is gong to be 3000 ppl, it might be a great event to watch on saturday night :)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I think we should contact them and ask them to put some horse racing events for us, lets see if there is gong to be 3000 ppl, it might be a great event to watch on saturday night :)
If we get 3000 people, the hotel will have to install hammocks in the rooms...that or triple-decker bunks in place of each bed!!! :D

Unfortunately, neither of the horse racing venues have dates during Labor Day weekend. Those dates are set in stone by the racing commission. The closest you can come is the KY Horse Park to see the retired famous race horses.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
If we get 3000 people, the hotel will have to install hammocks in the rooms...that or triple-decker bunks in place of each bed!!! :D

Unfortunately, neither of the horse racing venues have dates during Labor Day weekend. Those dates are set in stone by the racing commission. The closest you can come is the KY Horse Park to see the retired famous race horses.
How many people usually do come to these events?

mmm, so what else is there to do? I'm really trying to convince my wife to come and bring our 3yr old girl, but they are not car ppl and i dont want them to get bored. I did see there was 4 shopping malls :D so that should keep them busy, but wondering if there is other things to do as well.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A tour of the Distilleries, complete with Bourbon tasting? :eek:

Ok, maybe not for the kids, well not for the out of town kids... LOL

Hmmm Any Civil War sites to visit?

MrVermin

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
For children, there is the Lexington Children's museum downtown. The horse park is usually a hit with the kids. Nice pool at the hotel that should still be open. Feed the fish and ducks at the large pond next door to the hotel. Joseph Beth booksellers (next door) has an awesome kids section with play areas.

Bourbon tours are available, just gotta drive to do them. Nearest Civil war battlefield is Perryville, about an hour away. Mary Todd Lincoln house is in downtown Lexington, but unsure if open to the public. Google is your friend for that.

Please do send for the info Julie referenced in the first post.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
For children, there is the Lexington Children's museum downtown. The horse park is usually a hit with the kids. Nice pool at the hotel that should still be open. Feed the fish and ducks at the large pond next door to the hotel. Joseph Beth booksellers (next door) has an awesome kids section with play areas.

Bourbon tours are available, just gotta drive to do them. Nearest Civil war battlefield is Perryville, about an hour away. Mary Todd Lincoln house is in downtown Lexington, but unsure if open to the public. Google is your friend for that.

Please do send for the info Julie referenced in the first post.
mmm, now wondering if i should make the wife drive the dsg so i can drink while i'm there :)

Leafsfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI Highline 6MT, Pure White
How many people usually do come to these events?

mmm, so what else is there to do? I'm really trying to convince my wife to come and bring our 3yr old girl, but they are not car ppl and i dont want them to get bored. I did see there was 4 shopping malls :D so that should keep them busy, but wondering if there is other things to do as well.
I want to go to this year's tdifest as well. Working on convincing the wife. We would be bringing our 3 year old daughter and 2 year old son along. Is there good things to do for little kids in the area? Are there often many kids at the tdifests?

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
If anyone is interested in seeing some famous retired race horses, shoot me a PM. There is a place called "Old Friends" that used to be on our farm until they outgrew what extra land and stalls we had available. They rescue famous thoroughbreds and have them on a nice retirement facility where they bring through tourists and enthusiast daily. The guy that runs Old Friends is a great guy and loves the horses and racing. It's a great substitute to going to the race track. It's only 20 minutes or so from the Hilton in Lexington Green.

Hurst

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
If anyone is interested in seeing some famous retired race horses, shoot me a PM. There is a place called "Old Friends" that used to be on our farm until they outgrew what extra land and stalls we had available. They rescue famous thoroughbreds and have them on a nice retirement facility where they bring through tourists and enthusiast daily. The guy that runs Old Friends is a great guy and loves the horses and racing. It's a great substitute to going to the race track. It's only 20 minutes or so from the Hilton in Lexington Green.

Hurst
Out by Blackburn? If so, great stop on the way to the KY Horse Park.

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
Old Friends is now out 62 just into Georgetown past the Iron Works stoplight. I can't think of where Blackburn is right now, as I have been in Philly for school since January... If it's off of 62 where I'm talking about, I should know, as I drive that road a ton over the summer running to get tractor parts in Georgetown (in my TDI, my fuel-efficient parts-mobile). Are we thinking of the same place?

Hurst

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Ahhh. I've driven past Old Friends. Blackburn is on Newtown Pike by the interstate. They had the racehorse retirement area next to it, and the inmates helped with the place.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
If anyone is interested in shooting some famous retired race horses, see me....
Sometimes what I thought that I had read is much funnier than what was actually written......
This was one of them.

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
Sometimes what I thought that I had read is much funnier than what was actually written......
This was one of them.
Scared me there for a second... I had to go back and see what I had actually written. Thought I might've written something that would have had my family disowning me :eek: lol

Hurst

Pelikan State

TDI
2011 White 2dr Golf
Frankfort, Kentucky

Frankfort, the capitol of Kentucky, is only 30 mi. from Lexington. A hilly site on the Kentucky River and I'm given to believe a scenic little town. Might be some nice drives around there - even if just on your way in or way out.

http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/kentucky/frankfort

I'm (hopefully) going through there on a trip to Nashville, Cincinnati & Indy. planned for August.

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
There's pletnty of scenic drives. All you really need to do is just turn your GPS off for a while and take a few random turns, and you'll almost certainly end up in some pretty places. The drive to High Bridge is one I do every summer in my MGB for a nice scenic drive. Driving to the Woodford Reserve Distillary will also produce another very scenic drive. The southern part of Woodford County makes some good scenic drives (I'm a little partial, I guess, since I have lived in Woodford County all my life... :))

Hurst

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
I can start a list of good places to visit if someone knows how to put these in a map.

Bourbon distillaries:
1) Woodford Reserve
2) Maker's Mark
3) Wild Turkey
4) Jim Bean
5) Buffalo Trace

Cars:
1) Corvette Factory (Bowling Green, Ky)

Horses:
1) KY Horse Park
2) Keeneland
3) Churchill Downs
4) Old Friends

Nature/Historic:
1) Natural Bridge
2) High Bridge
3) Shaker Village
4) Daniel Boon National Forest
5) Mammouth Cave
6) Carter Caves
7) Lake Cumberland
8) Cumberland Valley
9) Buckley Wildlife (local hiking place)

That's all I can think of for now, but will have to add more if I can think of anything later. Maybe we should start a new thread for this?

(If anyone wants to come by our family farm, you're more than welcome. Also have a farm shop with an outdoor air lift, A-frame, and lots of other tools.)

Hurst

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I can work on compiling that list into Google Maps. I should have something up tomorrow that we can work from. Thanks for the suggestions! :cool:

This thread is the perfect forum for discussions such things as local attractions and fun things to do. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Unfortunately I don't know much about the area, so beyond posting the basics, I will need some hints and suggestions from people more familiar with the area.