MAF Bit The Dust [Clogged Intake]

Jonahphile

TDI
Passat 2005 TDI
Took my 2000 Jetta to a mechanic because it kept stalling on me.
He said the intake manifold was stuffed with carbon (or some kind of soot) and he would need to clean it. Actually he was going to exchange it for a cleaned one.

He went on to say that because it was clogged it caused the MAF to burn out and he said the EGR unit needed to be replaced also. All for a bit under $1000.

Does this sound right?

The main question I wanted to ask was the options for replacing the MAF with an MB unit. I've got a freind that got that recommendation from someone here at TDICLUB and it worked great for him.
What are the advantages?
What is the part number?
Is it cheaper that the VW MAF?

Thanks in advance

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Sounds like you need to take it to a more trusted VW mechanic,$1000 is pretty steep,especially if he is swapping it with a cleaned one.
Parts are not that expensive for these cars and if he's done this before ,than he should be able to do it in 3 hrs or so,IF he any good!
As for the MAF these things don't "BURN OUT" and the EGR,what part is he talking about,the EGR valve or the gas cooler?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
You took the car to a trusted mechanic, right? see link in my sig.

Others will chime in, but IIRC, most charge 200-300 for an intake cleaning. And, I've never heard of a clogged intake killing a MAF.

Tony

Jonahphile

TDI
Passat 2005 TDI
This guy was reccomended by other TDI owners in my area. I live in northern Utah and I'm too far from the people reccomended on this site. Anotehr thing I failed to mention is that he replaced the MAF on this same car last spring.

Do either of you know about a Mercedes MAF used on TDI's?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
JASONP said:
Sounds like you need to take it to a more trusted VW mechanic,$1000 is pretty steep,especially if he is swapping it with a cleaned one.
Parts are not that expensive for these cars and if he's done this before ,than he should be able to do it in 3 hrs or so,IF he any good!
As for the MAF these things don't "BURN OUT" and the EGR,what part is he talking about,the EGR valve or the gas cooler?
MAFS do go bad I know one person who went through 7 in under 2 years on his 01. the later PD engines I do not know about but you are talking about a 2000 . I do not believe a clogged intake would cause it to fail . The clogged intake will cause the lose of power and stalling the MAF will cause a lose of power but mostly over 2500 RPMs. IF he is a trusted TDI mechanic he should know how to test the MAF and see if it is bad. You can get a MB MAF from www.worldimpex.com I have one in my trunk someplace, But just call Impex and ask for Joey or john. This guy is digging you like a newbie from the sounds of it. Test the MAF, clean the intake and egr these are the main problems on those cars (if there are no codes) and it should run like new. JMHO I have had my 01 for 8.5 years

TDI
2004 golf
1000 for intake EGR and maf replacement sounds like dealer-type prices, no? The manifold can be blasted out with a power washer.

Birdman, I think JASONP meant they literally dont burn out. They die, or work very poorly, get dirty etc. Im no maf expert, but I have never heard of one burning out like a lightbulb, etc. Just guessing.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
hmmm... $1000 bucks eh? New EGR: $175 New MAF $120 = $700 labor for an intake cleaning.

If you're swapping and if you've done it before; 3 hours. If you're good, < 2 hours. If you're having a great day, < 1; hood up, to hood down.

Oh, and if the intake is really bad, it will throw MAF and EGR codes. I'd make sure the person quoting you actually diagnosed a bad EGR and MAF, and isn't just looking at the codes.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
aNUT said:
hmmm... $1000 bucks eh? New EGR: $175 New MAF $120 = $700 labor for an intake cleaning.

If you're swapping and if you've done it before; 3 hours. If you're good, < 2 hours. If you're having a great day, < 1; hood up, to hood down.

Oh, and if the intake is really bad, it will throw MAF and EGR codes. I'd make sure the person quoting you actually diagnosed a bad EGR and MAF, and isn't just looking at the codes.
Yes, you are getting hosed and as aNUT alluded to, you have a clogged intake and this is what is causing the bad readings on the MAF. Get the Intake manifold and EGR valve cleaned, then see how it runs.

Does he have your car taken apart already? If not and it's drivable, cleaning the intake is doable on your own. I have seen girls do it before! LOL!

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
whitedog said:
Yes, you are getting hosed and as aNUT alluded to, you have a clogged intake and this is what is causing the bad readings on the MAF. Get the Intake manifold and EGR valve cleaned, then see how it runs.

Does he have your car taken apart already? If not and it's drivable, cleaning the intake is doable on your own. I have seen girls do it before! LOL!
send them over, my 01 intake needs some cleaning ;)