What the hell happened to my car

Longrange762

TDI
15 GSW SE
Went to warm my car up yesterday. The outside temperature was fairly cold(-6°F).Cycled the glow plugs a couple times car started fine. Came back out 10 minutes late car dead. Tried restarting and battery was dead. Put charger on car went back inside. Charged for 30 minutes
car started right up. Decided to monitor this go around. Car ran for 10 minutes fine . Car was producing heat but then began to idle rough then died. Tried to resart which it did fine but now loud squealing sound from right rear and engine light illuminated also the dreaded flashing glowplug. Also noted that fuel has been treated with additive since the begining of the month.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
CEL and flashing GPL come with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC).
these DTC will tell you where it hurts

Longrange762

TDI
15 GSW SE
Had car inside garage last night thinking that maybe it could be a gelling issue. Started car this morning and still getting the loud squealing from right rear of car. Thinking maybe adblue had froze and making pump work extra hard. Car now only idles for about 3-4 seconds then dies. Just had 20xxx service done last month and all seemed fine.

Longrange762

TDI
15 GSW SE
I had my wagon towed to the closest vw dealer 60 miles away. Received a phone call from service manager. They told me that my car started right up and ran for 30 minutes before being turned off. The glow plug was still flashing and engine icon as illuminated. Tech was checking codes as of 10 a.m. this morning. Just called the dealership and talked to service about their findings. They said that they dont have a diagnoses yet for what occured.
I guess tomorrow I'll be making an appearance. This dealership has always been good to deal with in the past on my old jetta. But since everthing that has taken place over the last couple years things have changed. The old service guy left and his replacement let's say isn't quite
as sharp on matters. I sure hope they don't try blowing smoke.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...The glow plug was still flashing and engine icon as illuminated. Tech was checking codes as of 10 a.m....They said that they dont have a diagnoses yet for what occured...I sure hope they don't try blowing smoke.
If the tech pulled the codes, they sure do know what was wrong. Prepare for that smoke...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My money is on gelled fuel. It can't be pumped and can makes the pumps scream when they're starved of fuel. Not to mention the engine won't stay running.

Longrange762

TDI
15 GSW SE
My money is on gelled fuel. It can't be pumped and can makes the pumps scream when they're starved of fuel. Not to mention the engine won't stay running.
I only refuel at 2 different stations.This is my work car and depending on milage I use one of the 2. I have only used these 2 on both my old jetta and my wagon. I never had problems in winter with gelling. They are both top tier station and i have also kept all fuel receipts and also logged temps at refuel. I am ready for the bad fuel claim. I have also been using additive since new. Summer blend mainly until the weather starts getting colder.
My car ran the second time long enough to produce heat from the defrost vents. I'm thinking there's a bigger problem that they are gonna try to wiggle out of.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

Sounds about right to me. It wouldn't even have to be fully gelled- if it had reached it's cloud point, the precipitated wax can clog filter screens and fuel filters.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I only refuel at 2 different stations.This is my work car and depending on milage I use one of the 2. I have only used these 2 on both my old jetta and my wagon. I never had problems in winter with gelling. They are both top tier station and i have also kept all fuel receipts and also logged temps at refuel. I am ready for the bad fuel claim. I have also been using additive since new. Summer blend mainly until the weather starts getting colder.
My car ran the second time long enough to produce heat from the defrost vents. I'm thinking there's a bigger problem that they are gonna try to wiggle out of.
I'm seeing lots of fuel gelling reports right now. It's possible that fueling networks got caught off guard by the cold snap and didn't have the fuel properly treated. Or that you're running a tank of fuel that hadn't yet been treated for the weather that we're currently experiencing. Just last week the weather was pretty balmy.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
So what can you add to fuel when there is a cold wave? Fuel tanks underground don't get as cold as surface temps where we might park our cars. Most people talk about things like stanadyne, power service, etcetera. We are in a cold wave here in the MidWest with clear skies (worst for cold weather), and people farther North of here are in worse conditions.

Power service seems to be a good recommendation, but I will wait to for advice from our members. I have been using Optilube XPD which in addition to adding lubricity claims anti-gelling. We are hitting sub-zero temps on Saturday for a few days. I can't park in the garage this Winter.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
My New Year's resolution is to not look at any threads that don't have some kind of clue about the problem they are experiencing.

OP, don't take this personally, yours was just the first thread I saw that had an ambiguous thread title.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
No problem here in Milwaukee WI sub-zero night time temps. The fuel in my car is two weeks old and purchased when it was still quite warm out. No anti-gell added by me either. I think many like to scream bad fuel when there are probably other issues with their car. How many reports have we seen here for various reasons and the solution has been bad fuel? Some say they even treat their fuel with anti-gell adds and still claim frozen or gelled fuel. All the big rigs and other diesel trucks in my area don't seem to be dead alongside the road with gelled fuel issues

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So what can you add to fuel when there is a cold wave? Fuel tanks underground don't get as cold as surface temps where we might park our cars. Most people talk about things like stanadyne, power service, etcetera. We are in a cold wave here in the MidWest with clear skies (worst for cold weather), and people farther North of here are in worse conditions.
Power service seems to be a good recommendation, but I will wait to for advice from our members. I have been using Optilube XPD which in addition to adding lubricity claims anti-gelling. We are hitting sub-zero temps on Saturday for a few days. I can't park in the garage this Winter.
A good dose of Kerosene(K1) / D1 is really the best fuel treatment for super cold conditions.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A good dose of Kerosene(K1) / D1 is really the best fuel treatment for super cold conditions.

You first captain!!!! Why not throw in some Diesel 911 for good measure. ;)

I'll stick with Power Service White.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not recommended on a commonrail TDI due to decreased lubricity.
Up here in Maine, you're very likely getting a D1/D2 blend this time of year whether you like it or not. Lubricity is/can be addressed with additive.

Fuel pumps fighting against restricted filters probably has greater longevity consequences for the fuel system than possibly slightly reduced lubricity.

In more temperate climatic regions, blended fuel probably isn't needed and a simple anti gel additive alone is sufficient.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You first captain!!!! Why not throw in some Diesel 911 for good measure.
Diesel 911 is only intended to be used after the fuel has already clouded/gelled. I already get D1 blended into my fuel at the pump. Much of the country doesn't get winter blended fuel. It can cause problems for them when arctic air swoops south.

http://yourfuelsolution.com/2015/01/how-to-prevent-diesel-fuel-gelling/

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/fuel-gelling-and-icing-what-causes-it-the-myths-and-how-to-prevent-it.239452/

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So you won't splash some K1 in your tank for like you suggested? Chicken ;)

Blended winter pump fuel still needs to meet lubricity standards, while everyone in the far north east it is getting a good blend from the three ports Searsport, Portland and Portsmouth, it's not merely the tank jocky blending D1 and D2, willy nilly. They also add anti gel additives plus lubiricity additives as well.

Let us know how your splash of K1 works out for you.

Last edited:

Longrange762

TDI
15 GSW SE
Just left the dealership. I requested a print out of what codeswere thrown.
Was told that they were unable to get me a print out. They did tell me however that i had a P0087 stored 5 times and that they have submitted a claim to vw.
Can someone tell what this code is please

Longrange762

TDI
15 GSW SE
Funny thing is that they said 2 other tdi's come in on the hook the day before with gelled fuel.
My wife was recording our conversation. When i asked if either one had codes showing that their reply was no codes were shown.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you won't splash some K1 in your tank for like you suggested? Chicken ;)

When the forecast says -40° temps are headed my way, I won't hesitate to add several gallons of K1, some outboard oil/ optilube/ 10W, and some anti gel additive to my tank. :)

Blended winter pump fuel still needs to meet lubricity standards
That's exactly my point- kerosene can be blended into diesel without destroying the fuel lubricity. Kerosene/diesel blends aren't exactly a big secret around here. Serious times call for serious measures.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
That's exactly my point- kerosene can be blended into diesel without destroying the fuel lubricity. Kerosene/diesel blends aren't exactly a big secret around here. Serious times call for serious measures.

... this OkieVille geezer delighted we have a 2 car garage ~~ and use it

... and the TV guy says it will be below freezing (continuously) for several days. Near zero in 2 days:eek:

... and just get our D2 (as normal) from QT ~~ no worries mate:p

nsimov

TDI
05 Jetta, 13 Golf, 14 535d
Many years ago I had a similar issue. Turned out to be due to a small amount of water in the fuel filter. The diesel didn't gel, but the water froze and restricted the flow of fuel.
What I do in the winter is I ALWAYS add Power Service (white bottle). I don't know if their fuel is winterized, and I have been left stranded in the past bc of a gas station with summer blend. It doesn't cost much to make sure I don't have to freeze my ass and spend a fortune while waiting for the tow truck.
The second thing - I change the fuel filter every 20-30k miles. Sometimes I run it longer, but always make sure to change it in the fall. And when I change it, I pump out all diesel/water mix from the filter enclosure.