Charge for emission parts before modification?

Nestor

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I am new to the forum, so bear with me. I just took my 2010 Jetta TDI in to have the emissions modifications completed. I was informed that in order for them to do the modification, I would have to pay OUT OF MY POCKET $2200+ dollars to replace the diesel particulate filter before they would do any modifications. According to the paperwork sent out, if it would have been a 2009 instead of a 2010, the particulate filter is included in the modification. This car has ran flawlessly since purchased, other than check engine light coming on with extreme temperature changes. After the outside temperature stabilized for a couple of days, the light would go out. I was then charged $125 to have the check engine code cleared. As far as I know, the cheat software is what caused the issue with the particulate filter, if there actually is an issue with it. Am I the only one whom has had this type of experience with the recall? I am now out $125 and still have an unmodified Jetta TDI which my choices are (a) Leave unmodified and keep driving/no settlement money (b) Spend the $2200 which will take about half of the settlement money (c) Sell vehicle back to VW.
All I wanted was to get the thing modified and get the cash settlement. I don't feel like I should have to spend money to get money. Thanks all.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You are not alone. Lots of failed DPFs (cracked) out there. I have a few customers in the exact same boat as you. And yes, you will have to fix the car first, then they apply the modifications, then the new emissions control warranty goes into effect, which covers the parts that are now bad on your car that you have to replace in order to get the modification, in order to get the warranty extension.... :(

There are probably 100+ posts on this exact subject.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
how many miles on your car?? is it a manual or auto.. please let us know what you do and after fix.. if you get it done.. Thanx

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
I'd take the buyback in your case.

Why spend the money to fix it when they'll buy it as is for the full amount?

Just my $0.02

oilhammer

TDI
I'd take the buyback in your case.

Why spend the money to fix it when they'll buy it as is for the full amount?

Just my $0.02

Because he can't buy a new one, and maybe he wants his car.

He will still get multiple thousands of dollars, just less multiples.

Personally I would just delete it all and motor on, but I know not everyone wants to do that.

Nestor

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The Jetta has 140,000 miles on it. My wife commutes anywhere from 140 to 200 miles a day on occasion, thus why we love the fuel economy. Thank you for all the help and suggestions. My gut instinct is don't modify, dont take any money from VW, and drive the wheels off of it (it's paid for, why not). I do all of the maintenance on my other vehicles, so what is one more if VW dealership wont touch it.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
thanx!.. well you could fix the dpf and then get the 5100.00 (or is it 4900.00?)..and have a 2900.00 or so windfall.. and don't forget the great warranty also!

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Any chance the DPF is covered under Federal Emmissions warranty?

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
How about getting the Dr. Bob Dr.Volks EGR filter that is redesigned with the less restrictive filter

Install it, clear the codes and history, and things should be set right?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You are not alone. Lots of failed DPFs (cracked) out there. I have a few customers in the exact same boat as you. And yes, you will have to fix the car first, then they apply the modifications, then the new emissions control warranty goes into effect, which covers the parts that are now bad on your car that you have to replace in order to get the modification, in order to get the warranty extension.... :(
Question, are the VW dealerships scanning the car - reading that the delta pressure across the DPF is indicating that it's cracked?

It's not like they can see the substrate via physical inspection...

I love being on the truck side of things - all my DPFs are removable and replaceable with clamps. They just cost more. :rolleyes:

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Question, are the VW dealerships scanning the car - reading that the delta pressure across the DPF is indicating that it's cracked?

It's not like they can see the substrate via physical inspection...

I love being on the truck side of things - all my DPFs are removable and replaceable with clamps. They just cost more. :rolleyes:

My understanding is they are just looking for the P0401 as evidence of a cracked DPF. This is where the modified EGR filter would solve the problem.

oilhammer

TDI
I asked the parts guy, who is someone there I trust, and he said they do a series of tests... but he is not sure exactly what that is. But that people have tried clearing MILs before pulling them in the drive lane, and that did not fly.

I suspect sooty tailpipes are going to be the dead giveaway too.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If you want to keep the car, wouldn't it make the most sense to fix it, let them do their thing, and then get more money back than what you spent to fix it?

You get to keep the car, with an extended warranty, and you end up with money left over.

What's the downside of this?

Also, what's the deadline for you to make a decision? I think here in Canada it's Sept 2018 but I'm not sure about the US settlement. If you have a long time to consider your options, don't do anything until you have to. That'll give you time to come up with the initial repair money too.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Is it possible the OP has the one piece unit and dealer basically has no choice but to ask the owner to pay for the new DPF? Are most of these "ask customer to pay for new DPF" incidents involving 2010 model?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Posting this for a non internet friendly friend. Would the case be any different for a 2014 beetle with only 70k on it? He got turned away today with them saying he had to replace the DPF and EGR valve before they would do the fix.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to add, he had no CEL before stage one of the fix. He got the call to bring it back for stage two when they rejected him.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Hard to say - looks like that car would have been covered for 6yrs or 60k powertrain.

I would get your acquaintance to look through his owners manual for any mention of an extended federal emissions warranty and what is covered.

Even if that doesn't pan out, I (if it were my car) would call vw customer care and raise hell that the car needs a repair that significant just our of warranty and ask for assistance from them.

TDI.lover593

TDI
2010 Jetta 2.0L TDI Sedan
I've got a bad EGR valve and am thinking of getting the fix...will they charge me to replace that too? I'm pretty sure they will have to replace it anyway or it will immediatelybe under warranty after the fix.

Thanks

2010 Jetta TDI 2.0L DCT Automatic

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I've got a bad EGR valve and am thinking of getting the fix...will they charge me to replace that too? I'm pretty sure they will have to replace it anyway or it will immediatelybe under warranty after the fix.
Do you have the P0401 error code, is that what the issue is? I have the same thing, kind of apprehensive about bringing it in for the fix now, if they say it's going to be 2 grand. I don't get it - aren't they replacing most of the EGR parts anyway? Why would they charge me to fix the parts they are about to replace?

Nestor

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Update on "Charge for emission parts before modification"

UPDATE: After a long discussion with my wife, we have decided to go through with the emissions modification. As was stated by other's above, it makes sense (in our situation) to spend a couple grand, get the update, some cash, and have a good warranty. My wife's original goal before the scandal was to get 400,000 miles on this car. This will help her achieve that goal while still driving a car she absolutely loves. I will update again after modification. Thanks, everybody!

oilhammer

TDI
Where in Missouri are you? I am certain I can make the necessary pre-modification repairs for less than the dealer can.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Hard to say - looks like that car would have been covered for 6yrs or 60k powertrain.

I would get your acquaintance to look through his owners manual for any mention of an extended federal emissions warranty and what is covered.

Even if that doesn't pan out, I (if it were my car) would call vw customer care and raise hell that the car needs a repair that significant just our of warranty and ask for assistance from them.
He went to a different dealer who said everything that was wrong was covered. Gave him a loaner, fixed the DPF and egr, and then did the update.

Nestor

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Update post modification

So, my wife and I went ahead and had work done to the Jetta (replaced DPF and a few other things) so it was not throwing any codes and the modification could be performed. For those still in limbo, what we have noticed over the 6 weeks since we have had modified: (1) Engine runs at a slightly lower temperature than before. (2) Seems to be a little slower off the line. (3) Transmission downshifts more frequently in the hills. (4) Fuel economy doesn't seem to be adversely affected, at least not on highway. Maybe a slight difference in city, but most driving is highway, so can't say for sure. We are happy with our decision; warranty plus a couple grand in the pocket worked for us.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Keep that money in the bank for when the new DPF fails and you want to go straight pipe.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is under warranty for some time. Why waste money on something that should be covered at no cost? Now when the warranty is gone then maybe.