DIY Downpipe

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
I know this has been hit before, but thought I'd share my downpipe fix...

The flex portion of the pipe was gone (it had a small leak but I finished it off while doing a TB change). The rest of the pipe was in pretty good shape (love those Southern cars) so fixing vs dumping $300 I don't have was a no-brainer.

I picked up a Walker flex connector at the local store for $30. At O'reilly it is part 52252. The flex pipe is the same length as existing one and 2" ID will slide right over the OEM pipe.

Cut off the old flex pipe right after the welds saving as much pipe as possible.

Trimmed the new pipe to leave 3/8 to 1/2" to slide the pipe in. I am not sure now much I could have left but was a little conservative with worry the bends would get in the way.

I fit them on, tacked, test fit, and finish welded. Hardest part was cutting the pipes with my cheap sawzall blades. Finally bailed on that and got out the electric cutoff - went right thru it.

Close shot showing new trimmed pipe tacked on.

Tacked, test fit, ready to weld.

I'll spare myself the embarrassment of showing the final product... a welder I am not. But - it fits perfect and I'm out only $30. Time will tell how long it lasts and if I gave enough overlay for the new pipe, but they aren't expensive and welding wire is cheap so I'll repair down the road if necessary.