2000 VW Golf unexpected rebuild

cbman18j

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI (First Diesel)
So about summer of 2016 I bought a golf that someone who had recently installed a rebuilt IP, new clutch, and few other small items to use for spare parts on my jetta as things broke.

The previous owner thought it needed a new turbo but had become frustrated with the repairs and wanted it off his hands. Turbo issue turned out to only be vacuum lines. A few weeks into ownership, I was cleaning out the car and I found a receipt that basically said timing belt jump and should inspect vehicle for damage valves. I pulled the valve cover and cam shaft and unfortunately most of the caps had spider cracking. I wasn't bothered because I was going to use it for parts for my jetta. Apparently parting out a vehicle that can be fixed relatively easy isn't in me. I was suppose to part out a red 99.5 that had a blown transmission but that didn't happen. It is now being drive everyday by a friend of mine. Back to the golf. I got the head uninstalled and sent it to Frank06 for rebuild with Stage 2 cam and porting.
Block with no head being cleaned

Head back from Frank

Head installed

I also replaced both control arms with some from impex since they were running a special and the bushing on both were basically no longer there. I also replaced inner and outer tie rod end on the driver and the tie rod end only on the passenger side, both sway bar bushings. I replaced shocks and struts with bilstein sports, new glow plug harness plus a bunch of other small stuff. I also ran a can of Diesel Purge thru the injectors. The golf is running pretty good but my fuel economy is down by 5mpg compared to my jetta due to the arriettas I installed

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I have the same problem... I just picked up a Beetle for parts and have been contemplating fixing it to sell so I can buy the parts I need for my Jetta (transmission). I know it doesn't make sense (I'm sure you understand!)

cbman18j

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the same problem... I just picked up a Beetle for parts and have been contemplating fixing it to sell so I can buy the parts I need for my Jetta (transmission). I know it doesn't make sense (I'm sure you understand!)
I totally get it.

cbman18j

Veteran Member
TDI
That head from Frank is a thing of beauty...
The head from Frank came back looking better than I could have expected. I had started to loose the faith because I had never sent a head to Frank before and it was taking longer than I had expected. Now that I have gone thru the process of having a head rebuilt by Frank. I am on the bandwagon. He is a great vendor, who builds a quality product and provides excellent service.