NSS location

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
Hello, 06 Jetta TDI with DSG. Car defaulted to limp and lost all gears. No strange sounds. CV's are in good shape. Not a drop of fluid leaking. The trans can be momentarily reset by disconnecting the battery and the car is good for 50ft. Then PRNDS starts flashing and all gears are sent to neutral (limp). Where is the neutral safety switch located on these vehicles. Where is the TCM? Dealer will not say over the phone only that I must bring it in for evaluation.

Any info is appreciated.

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
Mileage is 220k and fluid is changed every 20k. Trying to think of anything else that may be important...:confused:

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
Is the gear selector module what some would call a neutral safety switch? Online says these are located above the starter on the transmission. I've been into that part of my engine bay every time I change a trans filter...I don't remember seeing that switch. On my fords they are bolted directly to the side of the A4LD or E4OD trans and the linkage connects to the side. In the Jetta I've pulled the battery and intake/filter assembly but then thought maybe its mounted inside the console with the shifter... I popped the trim/leather and I see a plug.

Any info? Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Gear Selector Module is the shifter assembly itself, inside the car.

There are no electronic connections with the shift cable on or inside the transmission itself. The cable JUST works the Park pawl, that is it. There is no manual valve or anything inside.

The DSG is completely reliant on electronic inputs to work properly. The M-unit is inside the transmission, and has OBD capability, and if the transmission is not working it almost certainly has a DTC stored (VCDS will call out the M-unit as a Transmission Control, same as the rest of the autoboxes).

The ONLY electrical connector on the transmission is the round one near the starter, towards the front of the car, that passes through the front cover, and plugs directly into the M-unit.

You need to scan the car with a suitable scan tool. Anything else you do will be a waste of time.

Last edited: