VW Transmission interchangeability by engine and Model year.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
Does anyone have any general idea about VW Transmission interchangeability by engine and Model year? Gasser Vs, Diesel etc?

Or is it fairly strict, BEW to BEW, BRM to BRM, Gasser to Gasser likewise?

Thanks.

(PS, and purely as an aside - I once had a 351 Cleveland with a Cadillac transmission welded to it. It mated but did not bolt, so the previous owner took out the torch... Now that was a car.)

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
VW's are like legos, so many manual transmissions are interchangeable across model years and engines. What really matters are the gear ratios.

Is there a specific swap you're looking at?

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
It's in a low milage Gasser Beetle, circa 2002? I may be able to take it and will know more about its details later - I just was curious to know whether any possibility exists with a gasser/BEW move and whether it was even worth exploring.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Don't bother with gas boxes. V/VR bellhousings are different, and the I-4s have gearing that will just not work at all.

For the PD100, use the EUH or EGS gearbox. The EGR, EBJ, DQY, CZL (the latter two will need selector swaps) from ALH equipped cars are close but not the best match.

Cars to look at at are the 2004-2006 Golf, 2004-2006 New Beetle, and 2004-2005 Jetta with BEW power units. Try LKQ and car-part.com. LKQ includes a 6 month part defect warranty. Always inspect their parts though as they can send out anything from trash to perfect parts.

robert desbiens

TDI
1.9 turbo diesel
i have a1983 vanagon, the engine as been changed for a 1.9 turbo diesel but i dont know from witch kind of car it comes from, my transmission is cooked , does anyone know what kind of trany i can match with the 1.9 it's a 4 speed manual

jodeezzz

TDI
05 volkswagen passat tdi
Does anyone know what vehicles will have a transmission that is interchangeable with a 2005 VW Passat TDI Front wheel drive? Thanks for any assistance!

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Robert, assuming that you have an ALH TDI 1.9L engine in your vanagon, you can use the transmission from 1999.5-2003 TDI VWs. You can also use the EUH transmission from the BEW cars. (2004-2005 Mk4s)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does anyone know what vehicles will have a transmission that is interchangeable with a 2005 VW Passat TDI Front wheel drive? Thanks for any assistance!
The GMR code transmission is the only one used behind the BHW engine.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
For what it is worth, until I found a replacement 5th gear, I used a 5th gear out of a gasser in my 2000 Jetta. Seems I drove it about 5k miles with the gasser 5th gear. The gasser 5th gear was slightly taller than 4th gear and slightly shorter than the OE 5th gear. Best I remember, RPMs were about 2650-2700 at 70 MPH.

SteverTDI2005

TDI
2005 Beetle TDI
2005 Beetle TDI trans compatibility

I have a 2005 TDI. It is a 5 speed.
I suffered a burned out 5gear. and then whole trans.
Oil starvation issue i have seen talked about.

the trans code seems to be ESS

I have not been able to find this trans code anywhere.

I bought a 2000 Jetta 5speed gasser. trans.. just to get it done.. (it is a spare car. so i wasn't too worried about losing MPG on 5th gear)
but it doesn't bolt up. I thought O2J trans were all compatible..

obviously I am wrong.

I am a bit gun shy about buying a new trans that does not have ESS trans code.

BTW I got this code from the near the shift tower. I dont know how to post photos on here yet..

I am hoping to find a chart that lists compatible trans.
http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm
shows a bunch but i thought i went with its info and bought wrong trans..

any information would be great..

crunch805

TDI
2002 Beetle GLS TDI
I have a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with a 6 speed manual NFP/O2Q trans. What other year/tag combos will fit this car?? Cannot find any repair/replace options that are legit.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Honestly, if you wanted, you could use an Mk4 six speed gasser manual as it actually has a slightly better sixth than a stock Mk4 TDI 02J. I haven't done this particular swap but wouldn't hesitate as the numbers don't lie.
This might be perfect for someone (my son) who wants bigger tires and raised suspension yet still wants a six speed and what its benefits are.
What code would this be in an 02m gasser six speed that fits a 2001 bug?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
This might be perfect for someone (my son) who wants bigger tires and raised suspension yet still wants a six speed and what its benefits are.
What code would this be in an 02m gasser six speed that fits a 2001 bug?
Not sure exact codes but I was focusing on the turbo S beetle. Iirc most, if not all, mk4 1.8t 02M had similar gearing.

oilhammer

TDI
The VR6 has a rotated bolt pattern, because they tilt forward in the engine bay, not 15 degrees backward like the 4 cyl cars do.

Also, regarding the A4 cars with the higher output 180hp 1.8t (GTIs, NB Turbo S), they to me do not offer anything "better" for the ALH than the stock 5sp does, just one more gear to have to go through to get up to speed, and the overall ratio (top gear + final drive) I think is worse than what most would want (meaning, the engine will be spinning faster, not slower).

Been a while since I've last driven one, though, but they were NOT geared like the 6sp in the CR TDIs.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
The VR6 has a rotated bolt pattern, because they tilt forward in the engine bay, not 15 degrees backward like the 4 cyl cars do.

Also, regarding the A4 cars with the higher output 180hp 1.8t (GTIs, NB Turbo S), they to me do not offer anything "better" for the ALH than the stock 5sp does, just one more gear to have to go through to get up to speed, and the overall ratio (top gear + final drive) I think is worse than what most would want (meaning, the engine will be spinning faster, not slower).

Been a while since I've last driven one, though, but they were NOT geared like the 6sp in the CR TDIs.
68 rpm reduction @ 70mph using the Mk4 180hp 02M gasser trans.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, so certainly not worth the hassle of having an arguably inferior transmission with a far more troublesome slave cylinder that requires trans R&R to repair, not to mention ~20% more "work" to operate it.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf

Ah, right.
Thanks

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Yeah, so certainly not worth the hassle of having an arguably inferior transmission with a far more troublesome slave cylinder that requires trans R&R to repair, not to mention ~20% more "work" to operate it.
It really depends on what your resources are and what you have at hand. Add to that the cool factor and I would not hesitate to use one. Back to the point. You do get a slight reduction in RPM with the gasser 6-speed.