another 98 beetle tdi problem

k0wtz

TDI
ok you guys have helped me greatly in the past. I have a new problem that has cropped up.

I had the power steering pump replaced. Car ran great parked the car the next morning I went out to start it and its in emergency mode. Meaning the alarm is going off when I try to start it!

I have tried putting the key in the door locking and relocking it! Doesn't help!

I have unhooked the battery doesn't help!

With the car unlocked I notice the little red light is on at all times so something has happened.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

bob

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Hit the lock unlock buttons on the key fob a couple of times.

Which little red light?

k0wtz

TDI
doesnt work

my remote has never worked as far as I know. maybe it was didn't know it. battery in remote gone out will check remote battery.

thanks

bob

k0wtz

TDI
I think I forgot to mention the car will not start or anything!

k0wtz

TDI
If I recall any current car you can turn the security off using your key. I think there is something wrong besides a key fob!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
When you open the drivers side door....do the interior lights come on?
If not then your drivers side door locking module is bad and the car thinks the door is closed when it’s opened.
The red light on the door means that the alarm is set.

k0wtz

TDI
ok I will tell my mechanic guy about this! I don't suppose you can just wire around this thing?

thanks

bob

k0wtz

TDI
I forgot to mention when you unlock the door manually that red light stays on. open the door its still on!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah the micro switch in the door lock assy is bad.
If you hook up Vcds and run a scan you’ll probably see intermittent faults with the drivers door module.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't suppose you can just wire around this thing?
There probably is but figuring which wires to connect can be difficult to figure out.

The scan may indicate something.

Measure the voltage of the battery in the fob.
If it's under 2.9 volts I would replace it.

If you get a new fob it would have to be programed into the car for it to work.

Last, there may be a broken or frayed wire in the boot that passes from the door to the body.

Scan first, post the results.

k0wtz

TDI
the plot thickens

Just back from my mechanic who has worked at stealerships.. His thought the chip has gone bad on my key! Makes sense now!

Of course now it has to go to the stealer for reprogramming and a new key! I haven't called them yet this can be a bad experience I am thinking!

thanks for all the help and hints

bob

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What does a scan show?
Do that first before you do anything else.....
You don’t need a new key from the dealership.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2x on the above.
Scan for codes.

Check the trusted mechanics list here for someone in your area that may help code the keys.

Also, some locksmiths can code the key.
May be cheaper then the stealership. :)

There's a procedure posted here (don't remember exactly) that you can code (for theft) the new fob with a working key. The car will run with this.
Buttons still need to be coded.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I forgot to mention the car will not start or anything!
Before I forget (again)
Do you mean it runs for a second or two and dies, does not crank, or it doesn't ever run after cranking?

k0wtz

TDI
thanks guys

thanks guys the problem is resolved so many offererd help to me just thanks!

Fixing the problem was quite easy in the end! Called my regular repair guy he smarted me off. He wouldn't offer any hints at all except I had to bring it in 30m away!

So I called his competitor who I had never done any business in he gave me several places I could check on my own. His first suggestion worked and it was sooo simple.

Take your key and go to the passenger door lock and unlock the door and that should fix it. Well it did! I guess I have a bad sensor on the drivers door that shuts the security off!

KISS principle every time! LO

thanks everyone

bob