Lighting Package

DesertFox

TDI
TBD
I went to the dealer and they have 1 TDI SEL with standard halogen headlights, but I like the look of the Bi-xenon. Are they really worth an extra $1000 and waiting to get?

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
I went to the dealer and they have 1 TDI SEL with standard halogen headlights, but I like the look of the Bi-xenon. Are they really worth an extra $1000 and waiting to get?
for me? Yes. Better looks, better performance. I drive in the country at night a lot, so the better performance of the xenon sytem is important to me, so I am willing to wait. Only you can decide if its worth it to you.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
I have the hella dynabeams (Turns with the car) projectors on my mk5 and supposing these work similarly they're worth every penny. the amount of visibility gained at night is astonishing (in my opinion). the brights (all 4 bulbs on) are the brightest headlights of any car i've ever owned or driven (as an enthusiast and assuming you are as well think at least 100 cars).

DesertFox

TDI
TBD
I was under the impression the SEL came with the cornering lights and that the lighting Package just had the Xenon and led lights?

assorted

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
The cornering lights that come standard with the SEL are fog lights that light up when turning low speed or turning with turn signal (left turn w/ signal, left light illuminates. The lighting package includes the bi-xenon headlights w/ AFS and LED DRL.

AFS is the adaptive front-lighting system, which swivels the headlight as the steering wheel is turned.

IMO xenon > halogen. Nevermind the AFS, I don't even notice it half the time. The xenons are extremely bright and worth every penny. Plus the LEDs look nice.

DesertFox

TDI
TBD
The cornering lights that come standard with the SEL are fog lights that light up when turning low speed or turning with turn signal (left turn w/ signal, left light illuminates. The lighting package includes the bi-xenon headlights w/ AFS and LED DRL.
AFS is the adaptive front-lighting system, which swivels the headlight as the steering wheel is turned.
IMO xenon > halogen. Nevermind the AFS, I don't even notice it half the time. The xenons are extremely bright and worth every penny. Plus the LEDs look nice.
That I did not know, thanks for the information.

Looks like I'm going to end up waiting for one with a lighting package. The one the salesman talked me into applying for is black and I would rather have a lighter color anyways.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Well I just picked up the SEL for my wife w/o the lighting package unfortunately but the lighting is definitely not bad. The cornering light that comes on is the fog light because when I turn on the fog lights then turn the steering wheel there is no other light coming on(unless it gets disabled with foglights). I do need to mention that these are the best fog lights I have encountered. They are very low and wide.

For me, the fog lights are always on so its moot.

scotthershall

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd
Xenon bulb life and replacement cost?

Does anyone have any idea how long VW/Audi's xenon bulbs last, and how much they cost to replace?

Will the ballasts need replacement at some point, too?

I would spring for the Lighting Package but if replacing a bulb costs $50 or more, and it doesn't last longer than a conventional halogen, I might reconsider.

OEM xenon bulbs I found on ebay were about $70. Advance Auto listed a Sylvania replacement bulb for some random Audi I looked up at around $200.

I like those Hella Dynabeams...

Scott

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
Does anyone have any idea how long VW/Audi's xenon bulbs last, and how much they cost to replace?
Will the ballasts need replacement at some point, too?
I would spring for the Lighting Package but if replacing a bulb costs $50 or more, and it doesn't last longer than a conventional halogen, I might reconsider.
OEM xenon bulbs I found on ebay were about $70. Advance Auto listed a Sylvania replacement bulb for some random Audi I looked up at around $200.
I like those Hella Dynabeams...
Scott
xenon bulbs typically last at least as long as halogens. Years and years and years. Ballast shouldn't be a problem. OEM quality replacement bulbs aren't cheap. Cheap bulbs are cheap.

assorted

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
xenon bulbs typically last at least as long as halogens. Years and years and years. Ballast shouldn't be a problem. OEM quality replacement bulbs aren't cheap. Cheap bulbs are cheap.
Agreed. Cheap bulbs end up burning out a lot quicker and quality xenon kits aren't cheap.

You don't want to just change out the bulbs either. Xenons need projector headlights to aim or point its light (not sure if I'm describing this correctly). Xenon bulbs in a halogen 'case' will reflect light all over the place. These are usually the cars with the blue(ish) lights that blind the **** out of you on the road at night.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
The lighting package with bi-xenons and AFS is totally excellent, simply amazing. Bonus - it is continuously self-leveling.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Has anyone done an aftermarket upgrade to the Lighting Package (including Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Daytime Running Lights, the Adaptive Front-Lighting System?

I have the LP. The adaptive system really is great especially when using VCDS to code ECE settings vs DOT. It really wakes these lights up.
The LP wire harness is not the same as non-LP so it’s not plug-n-play. The Xenons are very expensive, doesn’t seem like it’d be worth the effort or money especially when you can get OSRAMS LED headlights cheaper and they’re plug-n-play.