A4 Jetta clutch or tranny?

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver B5.5 GLS TDi Passat wagon w/ Tiptronic
My daughter's A4 '05 Jetta TDi GLS, w/~145K miles, is having trouble going into reverse until the fluids are warmed up; it has to idle for 5 mins or more when cold, depending on the ambient outdoor temp. Hate polluting the air like that, certainly not in our garage, so only parking it outside for the past year.
Called a lot of mechanics last year for advice; most said to replace the tranny. One mechanic we've used on and off said it could be the clutch, which is a lot cheaper to fix. Cost to replace tranny - min. of $3.5K, high end ~$6K. My daughter didn't have that much scratch in the bank, and still doesn't; has no credit cards either.
Cost to replace clutch - ~$500 w/ labor? Parts for a clutch are much cheaper. No idea how long it takes in labor costs though.
I called an old friend who had the same model Jetta for a long time, before he gave it to his nephew to tinker with. He said, "Try my cheaper fix first. Replace the tranny fluid (just a drain, not a full flush), replace the tranny fluid filter and the gasket too - it's a kit; drive 100 miles, and do it again. Cheap, but only a temporary fix." She had it done once last summer, and it helped a bit, but then she lost her apartment (she was broke) and moved back home. So, she forgot to do it the 2nd time, and the issue is still there.
The annual emissions test date for the Jetta is this Friday - 5/25/18. She needs the car to pass emissions in order to look for work. She needs reverse gear to be operational too. Since my daughter is still broke and living with me while she job hunts, I'm going to pay for a few things - the e-test, oil change service, fuel and cabin filters, and a couple of tranny kits, so she can keep going to job interviews, etc.. Getting the supplies from Cascade German (a.k.a. Bora) this time.
So, asking here, should I order 2 tranny kits, AND a clutch kit?
Not sure I can return anything she doesn't end up needing to Cascade German (I haven't called them yet). Just need to have the Jetta working for another few months while she and I try to find her a different car. The Jetta is pretty beat up; not sure it's worth replacing the tranny at this point. I'd rather sell the car for the $1K we might get for it, or donate it to a charity to auction it off, and take a tax break, only I don't need the tax break. But, we aren't quite ready to do away with it yet.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I talk to Aaron at Cascade German for a bit. He said our A4 Jetta doesn't have a clutch, it's got a torque converter. Oh well. He's got a tranny that's getting semi-rebuilt that I can buy, if I want it. Would be a month wait to get it though. Decided to wait on replacing that, at least until after doing the other things and the e-test. We have to decided if we're keeping this piece of junk or not. Looking at selling my Passat too. Got my first grandkid on the way, and would like something with more bells and whistles, video entertainment, a backup camera (really want one of those!), etc., etc..

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'd try for help from CoolAirVW at KansasCityTDI.com. If he has time he can be very helpful with all things automatic.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
Zipi -

This smells a lot like the common problem with the solenoids on those BEW transmissions (Jatco 09A). I've bought 2 of them for my kids that won't drive manuals - one wouldn't shift into first until warmed up, the other wouldn't shift into reverse at all. They were getting the same $3,500 quote from their mechanics and sold them to me for peanuts.

In both, I replaced all 9 solenoids (cobra transmissions part 98420, $225) along with 4-5 quarts of fluid. Problem solved.

They sit behind the cover on the front of the tranny - kind of tight space but relatively easy job.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Wish I'd seen Prairie Chicken's post sooner, because I decided in early June, after much deliberation and cost estimates for replacing the transmission, the fuel pump and the alternator (which both died in early June one day apart), plus all the body damage from my younger daughter having gotten the front bumper caught on something once again and pulling it off (it was only being held on the body with duct tape), that this Jetta wasn't worth fixing anymore. So, I donated it to a local charity. The donation value of the vehicle came back as $500, about half what it would have been worth, if it had at least been running when it was towed away.

My younger daughter is now driving my '05 Passat TDi wagon, and I borrowed my older daughter's 2014 Subaru OBW while she was in Alaska. However, my older daughter is coming home in 2 days and will need her car back. So, I'm used car shopping this week. Thinking of going for a hybrid this time around. Will have to rent a car while I look though, as I don't think I'll find anything in 2 days. I thought I had another couple of weeks with the Subie, but apparently my older daughter's job wrapped up over the weekend.

Last edited: